Favorite film music survey

pellman

Share your favorite film music. More specifically, I mean film music that you like to listen to independently from the film. Not film music that happens to be very good and/or effective while watching the film.

Please try to be more specific than just the film title. If you don't remember the track title, tell what part of the film the music plays in.

(Not necessarily John Williams.)

Here are a few favorites of mine (which I happen to have in mind because I just listened to them)

1. "Rebel Fleet/End Titles" from The Empire Strikes Back. Something I have never actually sat through entirely while watching the film. But it contains all of the great themes from the first two films (except Princess Leia's theme.)
2. "Princess Leia's Theme" from Star Wars.
3. "End Credits" from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Esp the rendition of Marion's theme that occurs in the middle.
4. "Anvil of Crom" & "Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom" by Basil Poledouris from Conan the Barbarian.
5. "Promontory" by Trevor Jones from Last of the Mohicans.
6. The titles theme from Dirty Harry by Lalo Schifrin.
7. End credits from Jonny Quest original cartoon. Opening titles as well.
8. "King's Row Suite" by Korngold from King's Row.

These are tracks I like to play while driving on the freeway but which nearly get me killed if I don't pay attention.
9. "Underwater Mayhem/Death of Largo" by John Barry from Thunderball
10. "Battle of Yavin" from Star Wars
11. "Battle of Hoth" from The Empire Strikes Back. Reminiscent of Williams' work on "Lost in Space".
12. "Asteroid Field" from The Empire Strikes Back.
13. "Desert Chase" from Raiders of the Lost Ark

I like the main theme for Star Wars, Star War attack of the clones theme, Force unleashed theme and bonus, Indiana Jones main theme, Vaders theme, Battle of the Heros theme, the Black Stallion theme's and The Black Stallion Returns themes. I've got more but i don't remember them all.

RedeemedChild

Duel of the Fates from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Across The Stars from Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Battle of the Heroes from Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Imperial Theme/ Darth Vader's Theme Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Luke & Leia Theme from Star Wars Episode VI The Return of the Jedi

May The Force Be With You (The Force Theme) from Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope

Main Theme from Star Wars The Force Unleashed by Mark Griskey

Labor of Love: Star Trek XI composed by Michael Giacchino

Back From Black: Star Trek XI composed by Michael Giacchino

Does it Still McFly: Star Trek XI composed by Michael Giacchino

He's A Pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest by Hans Zimmer

One Day from Pirates of the Caribbean by Hans Zimmer

Come Together by Third Day from the film Facing The Giants

You'll be in My Heart by Phil Collins from Disney's Tarzan

Goonie

I've got a bunch of favourites, but the few that I can think of right now are:
Transformers - Steve Jablonsky (whole score)
The Goonies - Dave Grusin (whole score)
Iron Man - Ramin Djawadi - Driving With the Top Down

I think the Transformers soundtrack is one of the best in recent times. The Goonies score has never been officially released, but if you know where to look...;)

AlivePoet

Nice thread. A film's score is essential.

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amelie) -- entire score
The Godfather (Trilogy) -- entire scores
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- entire score
Star Wars -- entire score
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring -- entire score
Casablanca -- entire score

Those are among the best scores I have heard on film. I also particularly enjoyed the scores for The Matrix, Little Miss Sunshine, American Beauty, WALL-E, Braveheart, Donnie Darko, and a bunch of others that aren't coming to mind right now.

Goonie

A few more favourites came to mind:
Pirates of the Carbbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - Klaus Badelt - whole score
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer - whole score
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer - whole score
WALL-E - Thomas Newman - whole score
Gattaca - Michael Nyman - whole score
Gladiator - Hans Zimmer - whole score
Dances With Wolves - John Barry - whole score
Shaghai Noon - Randy Edelman - whole score

And of course the most obvious, scores to Star Wars series, Indiana Jones series, Jurassic Park series, Back to the Future series.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Depends on the mood but some favourites below -

Morricone - Once upon a time in America (Debroah's Theme)
Morricone - 1900 (Theme)
Hanel -Barry Lyndon (Sarabande)
Burt Bacharach - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Not goin´home anymore/South American Getaway)
Stanley Meyers - The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)
Oueen - Flash Gordon (In the Space Capsule - the love theme)
Toto - Dune (Prologue-Main Title)
Morricone - Giu' La Testa (Giu' La Testa)
Danny Elfman - Midnight Run (Walsh Frees the Duke)
Pietro Mascagni - Raging Bull (Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo)
John Williams - Superman (The Planet Kypton)
Bernard Herrmann - Taxi Driver (Theme)

avidfilmbuff

Besides Bernstein's score to Ghostbusters, my other favorite pieces of music include,John Williams' soundtracks to both Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Maurice Jarre's score to Lawrence of Arabia, Nino Rota's beautiful score to La Strada, Bernard Herrmman's scores to both Citizen Kane and Vertigo, and much more which I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Dr. Gonzo

DocWhiskey said:
Man With A Harmonica- Once Upon a Time in the West

Top notch sir. Top notch. I couldn't get that out of my head for a year.

I actually used it in a skateboarding video I edited once.
The skater reminded me of Bronson.

Zeppelin

pellman said:
1. "Rebel Fleet/End Titles" from The Empire Strikes Back. Something I have never actually sat through entirely while watching the film. But it contains all of the great themes from the first two films (except Princess Leia's theme.)
2. "Princess Leia's Theme" from Star Wars.
3. "End Credits" from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Esp the rendition of Marion's theme that occurs in the middle.
4. "Anvil of Crom" & "Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom" by Basil Poledouris from Conan the Barbarian.

These four rank high for me as well. Also, the end credits for Temple of Doom are just as good, maybe better, than Raiders.

I am also fond of James Horner's score for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Danny Elfman's Batman and the theme from Back to the Future. I have to admit, though, I'm not very knowledgeable about film music as a whole.

Always have time for Dirty Harry. Just caught the last few minutes and really love the DVR. Spent a few minutes listening to Lalo Schifrin over the closing credits.

The tune is amazing so here I am online looking for the soundtrack, and while it's downloading listening to the original Mission Impossible theme thinking crazy things like how cool it would be if U2 played it live with James Galway...

Best when it gets past the minute nineteen mark right after the silly keyboard solo...difficult NOT to think Austin Powers. The "reprise" has me interested in taking a look on Netfix, (should have when Peter Graves died but didn't). I have the oddest feeling that its been used as the closing tune for the show, maybe in the pilot. It's pretty amazing work.

Download finished!

This ALWAYS gets me into a jazz mood. Dave Brubeck next.

Maybe head over to the "Music nobody likes but me" or whatever it's called thread...

Just love Dirty Harry's End Credits, bluesy and jazzy.:)

Montana Smith

There's so many to choose from that a favourite is impossible.

I've always loved Morricone's music for Leone's films, especially for his spaghetti westerns.

Vangelis' main theme for Blade Runner is a haunting piece that encapsulates the downbeat mood of the film.

John Williams, of course. So many to choose from.