Favorite Movie Soundtrack

Tessa

Moderator Emeritus
Mine changes from time to time. Right now its...
1. Dirty Dancing Havana Nights
2. Save the Last Dance
3. Footloose
(thinks this shows the dancer I used to be huh?)

But I also like Coyote Ugly, Night at the Roxbury, Ghostbusters.

Tennessee R

I think that one would definately have to be:
The Rock by Hans Zimmer

But that's all I can think of at the moment.

etobicoke indy

hmm ok here goes(not in any order)

ALL Star Wars
Back to the future pt.1
Gladiator
Ray
Saturday Night fever
Most John Williams stuff

San Holo

1) Pulp Fiction
2) I really used to like the Braveheart soundtrack
3) like most people here, all of John Williams' stuff

The O' Brother soundtrack gets an honorable mention

Abe Vayoda

I assume you mean other than indy... :p

The Incredibles
Beetlejuice
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Back to the Future (and most of Mancinis stuff)
All of Williams stuff

I listen to a lot of soundtracks, but those are the ones I listen to over and over.

Kill Cavalry

The very top of the list for me would be a weird choice, but one that deserves mention: 1941. The film was mediocre, all of it was comic relief, but there was nothing serious, so the humor was lost. The music, however, is amazing. Never has such a "bleh" film had such a rousing soundtrack!

Gustav

Hmmm, eggyweggs.

My top 3 favourite soundtracks? That's tough. I'll break it down into original score and whatever they call the other music.

Top 3 original scores:
1. Gladiator/Shadow of the Vampire (tie)
2. The Usual Suspects/The Untouchables/The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly/Once upon a Time in the West/Once Upon a time in America (tie)
3. Hannibal

Top 3 compilation soundtracks:
1. Trainspotting (both discs)
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Intermission/The Life Aquatic (tie)

honorable mentions: V for Vendetta (for "1812 Overutre" and "Cry me a River"), Bladerunner, Godzilla (1998, yeah shutup), Coming to America (for opening titles and "Soul Glo"), The Mummy (1999), The Ghost and the Darkness, A Knight's Tale, Grosse Point Blank, High Fidelity, Happy Gilmore; Me, Myself and Irene.

Last edited:

Nathaniel

While not a movie, the Halo Soundtrack is great fun.

Besides that, the soundtracks I own are limited to RotLA and TLC. I used to have a pirated copy of ToD, but I lost it. :(

Gustav

ClintonHammond said:
Les us not forget The Untouchables.... or Conan The Barbarian.... Or Blade Runner

Great Scott, you're right. I don't know about Conan, but You can't forget Ennio Morricone or the Bladerunner soundtrack. I'm going to have to rethink my list. I'm sure there are more.

fortuneandglory

John Williams Stuff--
Esp. Jurassic Park, Indy, E.T., and Star Wars
The hard hitting melodies really just spew out of this guy...

Plus I like...
I really did like the original theme to Batman... esp. the cartoon.

And I also loved the music in King Arthur... really suited the film.

EDIT: Of course I love Back to the future, as well...

Besides the Indy soundtracks...

1. Vertigo, Bernard Herrmann
2. The Omen, Jerry Goldsmith
3. To Kill A Mockingbird, Elmer Bernstein

Tough choices. Honorable mentions include John Carpenter, Adolph Deutsch, and Neal Hefti.

Joe Brody

ClintonHammond said:
"King Arthur" Like with Clive Owen??

That POS was worse than Bravefart.....

The casting was better in King Arthur though.

Would think you would've been all over that.

And for the subject:

1. Repo Man soundtrack
2. Lost Highway soundtrack
3. Walk the Line soundtrack

Katarn07

Aaron H said:
1. Williams
2. Zimmer
3. Elfman

I don't know if I can rank them. They're quality varies where I can't definitively rank Zimmer ahead of Elfman and vice-versa.

Williams is a no brainer. The best: Star Wars, Indy, Jurassic Park, Private Ryan, and even though I'm not a fan of the films themselves, Jaws and Superman.

Zimmer is new to me. I only really remember Gladiator (his best work thus far), Pirates (fun theme, but the rest is forgettable to me), and Batman Begins (probably forgettable to someone who hasn't seen it as often as me :p).

Elfman's work is very distinct and I love it all, even if the movies the music's in isn't good The only ones that stand out in my mind at the moment, however, are Batman and Spider-Man. My little sister loves Tim Burton though so I'd recognize any of his work instantly if I heard it.

oki9Sedo

John Williams, Danny Elfman, Ennio Morricone, James Horner and Hans Zimmer when they're not plagiarising themselves, Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith etc

Vangelis did a great score for Blade Runner as well. Its dated, but its very emotional and very affecting.