Favorite Right Hand Man

Who Is Best Right Hand Man?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kooshmeister

I think Gobler was more of the "right hand" guy than Toht (if we're talking about the right hand to Dietrich; if it's Belloq then Dietrich would be the right hand, not Toht, since he's Toht's superior). And Chattar Lal was similarly more Mola Ram's right hand than the Chief Guard.

At any rate, I voted Vogel.

jonesissparrow

Yeah I'm going with Vogel because he did more to stop Jones it seems to me that the other right hand men had a one chance oppurtunity to mess Jones up but never quite there. I think Dovchenko is second because he was sort of challenge for Indy especially in the ant scene.

Kooshmeister

jonesissparrow said:
Yeah I'm going with Vogel because he did more to stop Jones it seems to me that the other right hand men had a one chance oppurtunity to mess Jones up but never quite there. I think Dovchenko is second because he was sort of challenge for Indy especially in the ant scene.

Exactly. I love the bit where he's watching Indy fighting the soldier on the tank. Instead of being a wimp, he actually starts taking off the unnecessary parts of his uniform, getting ready to jump in for a piece of Indy himself (and knowing that his line in the scene translates to, "Beat him to death!" only makes it better).

I also love earlier, in Castle Brunwald, his goofy smile and almost childlike glee when he asks Donovan and Elsa, "Let me kill them now."

KyleRipman

I voted for Dovchenko, for a number of reasons. First of all, Indy and Dovchenko have quite a few encounters in the movie. This lets them build up a real rivalry that I don't think you see in the other movies - from Indy's very first scene, he's getting punched by Dovchenko. And then you have the fight immediately preceding the rocket sled, and then of course the rocket sled itself, which was a good scene because it reduced two mortal enemies to comic helplessness together. Then there's the scene in the back of the truck, where he guards them and is eventually kicked around by Indy and Mutt. And finally, of course, there's the fight at the anthill - the natural culmination of all the almost-kills the two have experienced throughout the adventure.

But here's the interesting part. I think Dovchenko actually respects Indy. When Spalko orders her men to take Indy outside of the tent so that she can threaten him with Mutt and Marion's lives, Dovchenko tosses Indy his hat. And during the anthill fight, he gives Indy a moment of reprieve when Indy motions for it (ostensibly to get his hat back, but really to use the log to turn the fight in his favor). So this aspect of his character is a bit more complex than "evil Russian," and I enjoyed that.

Another factor in Dovchenko's favor is that I think he had the best death. I know some people won't agree with me - his death wasn't as iconic as Toht's, or as obviously brutal as Pat Roach's Thugee's death, but to me it was one of the best parts of the movie.

Plus, his name is Dovchenko. I know some of the toys give him the first name Antonin, but I don't think you hear that in the movie or see it in the credits. So just Dovchenko. That's awesome.

Kooshmeister

KyleRipman said:
Plus, his name is Dovchenko. I know some of the toys give him the first name Antonin, but I don't think you hear that in the movie or see it in the credits. So just Dovchenko. That's awesome.

It's also given as Antonin in the novel.

Kevin

KyleRipman said:
When Spalko orders her men to take Indy outside of the tent so that she can threaten him with Mutt and Marion's lives, Dovchenko tosses Indy his hat.

I think this was a nod to the scene in the warehouse when Indy tosses Dovchenko's hat back to him after using it to hold gunpowder.

Ska

I'd go with Dovchenko. I really enjoyed his character.

And a big (n) goes to Indy for "cheating" during the fight. Dovchenko had enough respect to let Indy grab his hat...and what does Indy do?

Not fair.

QBComics

Dovchenko is now in my Top 3 characters (Besides Indy). He was badass, and his middle name has to do with his death! (y) Antonin? Heh, funny stuff.

KyleRipman

SKAbatula said:
And a big (n) goes to Indy for "cheating" during the fight. Dovchenko had enough respect to let Indy grab his hat...and what does Indy do?

Not fair.

I thought this was great - it was the only way Indy was able to win. He knew he was outclassed in a pure fistfight, so he took advantage of Dovchenko's leniency to turn the tide. It's not really any different than when he throws sand in Pat Roach's eyes in Raiders - he's gotta do whatever he can.