Film Buffs, Historian's, Hollywood Reporter, Raiders, and you...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Talk about irony.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, a modern film about fighting the nazi's to protect the Jewish Heritage, which pays homage to the Hollywood serials of the 1930's when the movie production companies of that time were actually in bed with the Nazi's to stamp out the Jewish heritage by appealing to Germany and the Führer for support:

In January 1938, the Berlin branch of 20th Century Fox sent a letter directly to Hitler's office: "We would be very grateful if you could provide us with a note from the Führer in which he expresses his opinion of the value and effect of American films in Germany. We ask you for your kind support in this matter, and we would be grateful if you could just send us a brief notification of whether our request will be granted by the Führer. Heil Hitler!" Four days later, 20th Century Fox received a reply: "The Führer has heretofore agreed in principle to provide these kinds of judgments."

You all can read more about it HERE and discuss it accordingly.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Talk about irony.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, a modern film about fighting the nazi's to protect the Jewish Heritage, which pays homage to the Hollywood serials of the 1930's when the movie production companies of that time were actually in bed with the Nazi's to stamp out the Jewish heritage by appealing to Germany and the Führer for support:

You all can read more about it HERE and discuss it accordingly.

Hmmmm the link seems to have gone south for me.

But in any case, "How Hollywood helped Hitler" ...fascinating :hat:
That's a reversal worthy of it's own screenplay...

Don't you go gettin' any ideas now menschen. :eek:

Joe Brody

No worries because in the end Hollywood and Tarantino came along and set the histrorical record straight.

WilliamBoyd8

The German Nazis were only a minor problem to Hollywood.

Although this guy looks familiar.

post_western_hitler.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
No worries because in the end Hollywood and Tarantino came along and set the histrorical record straight.

The only revision history I enjoy! Speaking of revisions...have you heard from Deadlock recently?

Joe Brody

No, I haven't. Maybe he sold a script and he's living on the high-high.

On topic, here's more assessment on the recent Hollywood/Nazi books, with the conclusion being that 'collaboration' is too strong a word and that Hollywood's real fault was not doing enough to speak out against Hitler. Most interesting for me was the information on how Hollywood wasn't really making money in Germany during the thirties.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2013/09/16/130916crbo_books_denby