Films that made you cry?

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
The Iron Giant.
Gladiator.
Of Mice And Men.
Cool Hand Luke ("Where are you now???" gah!)

I always found Gladiator very portentous, so I could never really be affected by it. The last 15 minutes of Braveheart get me every time though.

Gladiator is a very portentous film.... that is to say, it is "momentous", marvelous; amazing; and/or prodigious.

Braveheart is an insult to the accomplishments and memory of William Wallace. Unlike a quality film like Gladiator, Braveheart is a pretentious pile of steaming skite.

BadDates

Schindler's List
Gladiator (wonderful film)
The Shawshank Redemption

I know that I probably shouldn't confess this...but the end of Terminator 2 is really moving IMO.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
The toughest and most extensive crying incident I've ever had at the sight of moving pictures forming a story, though, when I was watching the final episodes of the SIX FEET UNDER.
You, who have seen it know what happens there and you can most likely relate to my tears... It was unbelievable. I think I was in a state of crying over two full episodes. It was two hours of catharsis and it was great.

...Now I'll think about some non-serial tears...

ClintonHammond said:
Braveheart is an insult to the accomplishments and memory of William Wallace. Unlike a quality film like Gladiator, Braveheart is a pretentious pile of steaming skite.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. What an absolute piece of garbage. Save your 3 plus hours all ye who've yet to venture a viewing.

BadDates

roundshort said:
Titanic . . . .

. . . . I cried because I will never get that 7 bucks or 2 hours back!

Yeah, much as it pains me to criticise a James Cameron movie (he directed some of my all-time faves: Terminators 1 & 2 and Aliens), Titanic must get the award for the most two-dimensional, stereotyped characters ever and the most feeble CGI scene (even for '97) in a multi-gajillion dollar movie (the high p.o.v. shot of the ship with a few crudely-animated sprites moonwalking across the deck).

2 hours? It felt more like 22 :)

Nick

I almost Cried at the end of ''the green mile'' that's the only obe I can remember, might be more though.
It's not a movie, but I also almost cried when Jonathan died in smallville and Iolaus died in Hercules

sarah navarro

gear guardian said:
For me it was:

Milo and Otis
&
Moluin Rouge

I know there have been more but I cant think of any right now...

Oh yeah: the movie "IT"...... no just kiding ;)
I was siting here at the computer and i asked my little sister(5yrs) what movie made her cry and she immediatly said Milo and Otis,:) it was really sad ...Click almost made me cry too.

Niteshade007

Someone else mentioned Finding Neverland...that was another one that made me cry too. So what's that up to now? 4 films...damn, I'm a cry baby.

Matinee Idyll

The Elephant Man (and Mr. Lynch normally leaves me cold), The Thin Red Line, Gallipoli, Grave of the Fireflies, City Lights (note this was also in my 5 favourite comedies)...

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
Gladiator is a very portentous film.... that is to say, it is "momentous", marvelous; amazing; and/or prodigious.

I meant it was portentous in the scene that it acts as if its so profound and important.....its a simple historical epic, painted in broad strokes.

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
I am unable to glean what your meaning might be. Would you please try to explain it again.

It was a fairly common criticism......it takes itself more seriously than it should.

BadDates

oki9Sedo said:
It was a fairly common criticism......it takes itself more seriously than it should.

Political intrigue, war, enslavement, bereavement...all subjects entitled to a serious treatment in my opinion! Gladiator doesn't take itself any more seriously than any comparable film.

What makes the end of the film so moving IMO is the way that Maximus' love for his family has been his motivation throughout all his ordeals. The violence and political intrigue throughout is a backdrop for a very moving human story and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cry every time I see that ending!

And the "Honor Him" theme...just beautiful! Among my favourite film music ever...along with the theme from The Vikings (and of course "The Raiders March" :) ).