First Introduction to Indy

whipem

How were you first introduced to Indiana Jones? When I was about eleven, I rented IM from Blockbuster, and later saw Temple of Doom. I eventually saw the rest and bought the DVD set.

When I was about 8, I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark on TV on a late Sunday afternoon. I later discovered our Indy VHS box set, and the rest is history...

Finn

Staff member
There was a certain computer adventure game I got in my hands (or in this case hard disk) from somewhere... the year was 1994, I think.

Dr. HenryJones.jr

I've got taken on my old tape from Temple Doom at the TV, I think it was 1993 and then Last Crusade I passed with sleep...oh well *hihi* Later I have old Computer with first IM in year 2000 and until collect are so bigger!

Snap

I think when I was about 9. My dad had the VHS Indiana Jones box set. After watching all of them several times, I knew I was obssessed.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
There was a certain computer adventure game I got in my hands (or in this case hard disk) from my grandfather... the year was 1995.

Joe Brody

My family had a subscription to 'Time Magazine' back in the early '80's and Time ran a big article on RotLA a week or so prior to the original release. Bear in mind, this in the days before 'Entertainment Tonight'-type shows were everywhere and there was constant pre-release hype from innumerable media sources.

The focus of the article was on Lucas/Spielberg and how they were intent on making a low-budget back to the glory days action adventure movie. The article had pictures of the model for the Tanis dig (you can see that picture in the bonus materials DVD) and the storyboard picture of IJ blasting away in Marion's bar. I was hooked from the get-go, and I had that magazine dog-eared and falling apart by opening day.

My mother let my brother and me stay home from school on opening day and she took us to the first matinee (at times I've wondered if this was to make up for a significant delay in my seeing 'Star Wars' years before). I was blown away in that first showing and I've been a fan ever since.

[Originally posted on Austin's Cafe American]

Junior Jones

This isn't necessarily about my first introduction, but its what drew me in:

I had seen the trilogy at some point in my youth. I liked the movies, but there were other movies I liked just as well.

When The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles premiered, I was interested enough to watch it and was completely hooked. The exotic locations, the action (at least in the second half of the premier), and the numerous elements of actual history made me an instant fan. I started looking up stuff on Lawrence of Arabia and Pancho Villa, and almost expected to see "Jones, Indiana" listed in the encyclopedia.

Anyway, after that I bought the videos, bought the books, a friend gave me the Marvel comics, and I've been a fan ever since.