Five things we ALL agree on?

fortuneandglory

It seems to me that the preachers are those who seem to monitor these threads so they can quash beliefs and/or religions and/or opinions that disagree with their own. I personally am tired of seeing pseudo-thoughtful ellipsis dots. But hey... darn it!!

In any case, everyone here knows what the others belief system is on some level. Maybe not the whole shabang (yes, that's a scientific term), but we have the general idea. However, I see much more slamming coming from a side that seems to have the need to validate itself. Sure, I feel the need to validate myself. I've dealt out my share of inflammatory comments as well. That's a technical term too.

In any case, lets not turn this into another belief/religion slamfest... we're supposed to talk about agreeing.

Howabout this? Gas prices suck.

Gustav

Yeah, gas prices are awesome.

Gustav the Cool said:
Finn, why don't you ever say "I love you" to an Irishman?
Finn said:
Do that. Then you know.

Well, I won't be saying that to any Irishmen but I almost said it to an Irishwoman when I was in Ireland. Once upon a time, I went in a Woollen Mills across from Bunratty Castle and saw maybe the first or second most beautiful girl I have ever seen anywhere, including on TV. She was what you call 'black irish', straight black hair in a ponytail, light blue eyes and of course being Irish she had pale skin. I have a thing for ponytails, don't know why. Anyways, there was a cop standing about five feet away giving me a serious evil eye and I started wondering if there was some law about bothering people at work in Ireland. Sounds stupid now, but that cop was very menacing standing so close. I ended up just talking about watches with her.

And they lived happily ever after.

Here's something we can agree on. Bacon is damn delicious.

Indy Parise

Gustav said:
Yeah, gas prices are awesome.
Here's something we can agree on. Bacon is damn delicious.
HERE HERE, Can I get an AMEN!

As for the cop, you shoulda told him that you'd buy him a beer if he went away. Most Irishmen (as I am) love their beer and whiskey:D . As a side not, I went to an Irish Festival this Saturday.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Gustav said:
Huh? You went somewhere?

I'm in Los Angeles. I just went on the Indy ride an hour ago. I went on it twice. I haven't been online much coz of travelling. I'm going to Hollywood tomorrow. (y)

"When I say my opinion, Jay, CH and people that don't share the same views: I ALREADY KNOW YOUR VIEWS YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP REPEATING THE SAME "FACTS"ext... or SLAMMING MY BELIEFS...blah blah...I don't believe in the supernatural. I GET IT!"

Right back atcha kiddo.... Here's the deal.... I'll shut the FK up about my atheism, when you shut the FK up about your religion o.k.???

Deal?

Cause as sick as you are of me (And others) repeating the same stuff over and over and over, we're sick of you repeating the same stuff over and over and over....

We already know your views.... You buy into the myth of the Invisible Old Guy In The Sky.... We get it!!

So that's my suggestion.... we'll stuff it, when YOU stuff it.....

Jay R. Zay

this seems to be the most sensible conclusion we could get to. i don't recall forcing my views about something upon anybody who didn't take part in a particular discussion about that subject. :rolleyes:

Finn

Staff member
I don't want to sound hostile towards anyone, but most of the discussions that cause controversy take place in the archaeology board, and last time I checked, archaeology is <i>science</i>.

Like any science, it's search for facts, not truth. I think we all can agree to that. When the discussion goes into the great unknown, it's really all the same who thinks what. But when dealing with concrete, earthly things, let's all try to stay on the same page... and that means scientific explanations to things that seem to exist, no circle explanations, biased comments or random websites that say this or that.

If you want to find the truth, Prof Tyree's... err, carry on.

fortuneandglory

Finn said:
I don't want to sound hostile towards anyone, but most of the discussions that cause controversy take place in the archaeology board, and last time I checked, archaeology is <i>science</i>.

Like any science, it's search for facts, not truth. I think we all can agree to that. When the discussion goes into the great unknown, it's really all the same who thinks what. But when dealing with concrete, earthly things, let's all try to stay on the same page... and that means scientific explanations to things that seem to exist, no circle explanations, biased comments or random websites that say this or that.

If you want to find the truth, Prof Tyree's... err, carry on.

The two are not mutally exclusive. I've given some pretty good sources before, and they've been dismissed as "spurious" (that's a fancy word for "You're Lying") because they were researched by Christians.

It seems to me that most every comment made is somehow biased. Scientific "fact" is interpreted through the beliefs, or non-beliefs, or life perspective, or whatever you want to call it. You can't help but interpret science somehow. Whether it is evidence against the existence of God, or evidence of Jesus Christ's mere existence, it will be interpreted through the filter of a persons perspective.

I can see what you're saying when we get total dismissal of so-called facts. However, Science is never, and will never be fact by definition. Theory is the best we can get (and it's pretty damn good, I'll admit). It only gets called a law later on because it holds up for a REALLY long time. There theories emerging even now going up against the "laws" of physics. Line theory and some parts of Quantum Physics are a testament to that.

Science is not the search for facts, nor truth. It's a futile search for a complete understanding of the world, which I believe we'll never really reach. We'll try, and we damn well better try. But we'll never figure out everything. We can only get what we think is damn close. I as a Christian don't have all the answers. Hell, I don't even know exactly what's gonna happen when I die. I'm excited to find out though. I don't wanna die, but when the time comes, I'll be ready, and adventure will surely follow.:hat:

Johan

ClintonHammond said:
We already know your views.... You buy into the myth of the Invisible Old Guy In The Sky.... We get it!!

So that's my suggestion.... we'll stuff it, when YOU stuff it.....

Sounds good to me. Instead of us calling each other idiots for our views/beliefs I'll try to avoid saying the same things when the same threads come up.
However we both know that there will be those threads that require yours and my comments. So maybe we could try just stating opinions instead of telling the other person he/she is wrong...I think this is where it just get's ridiculous. I don't mind hearing you're opinions as long as you keep them YOUR opinions...I know I could make a better effort to do the same.
In the mean time, sign up for fantasy hockey...we're still both Canadian right?

Gustav

Violet Indy said:
I'm in Los Angeles. I just went on the Indy ride an hour ago. I went on it twice. I haven't been online much coz of travelling. I'm going to Hollywood tomorrow. (y)

I knew that. I was joking that I didn't because you said everybody missed you and I thought it would be funny to pretend I didn't notice your absence. Hilarious ain't it?

Parise- You're not kidding. You're never too far from a pint of Guinness in Ireland and I might have tried bribing the officer with a beer...if he hadn't been holding one in his hand.

Actually it was really all my fault, I'm just so handsome that I intimidated the girl and she didn't know what to say to me.
I was really more intimidated by the girl than the cop to tell the truth.

Prices suck. Can we agree on this?

Indy Parise

Gustav said:
Actually it was really all my fault, I'm just so handsome that I intimidated the girl and she didn't know what to say to me.
I was really more intimidated by the girl than the cop to tell the truth.

This reminded me of something I want to do. I want to become a hitman just so someone can say "Its a wondered you've survived so long." just so I can answer "Yeah, and I can only owe it to my good looks.":D No other reason than that, then I'd probably quit, my goal being completed.:gun:

Gustav

Indy Parise said:
This reminded me of something I want to do. I want to become a hitman just so someone can say "Its a wondered you've survived so long." just so I can answer "Yeah, and I can only owe it to my good looks.":D No other reason than that, then I'd probably quit, my goal being completed.:gun:

If ever there was a reason to kill people, I'd say that's it.

By the way, that sounds familiar. Is it from a movie?

I got the idea for this form of self-flattery partly from Han Solo but mostly from Ash of the Evil Dead series. He does a lot of it in A Fistfull of Boomstick too. It's a videogame. The only thing funnier is when he insults people. "BOOM! No more Mr. Nastyface." Well, trust me, it's funnier in the game.

"sign up for fantasy hockey...we're still both Canadian right?"
I HATE hockey....

"instead of telling the other person he/she is wrong..."
Unless said person is actually wrong.... Like a person would be if they thought Atlantis was ever a real place... Or if someone thought that this planet was ever totally covered in water...

"I've given some pretty good sources before"
Such as???

"and they've been dismissed as "spurious" because they were researched by Christians"
No they weren't... they were dismissed because they were lousy science...

Johan

ClintonHammond said:
I HATE hockey....

mmm...so you're not Canadian...

instead of telling the other person he/she is wrong..."
Unless said person is actually wrong.... Like a person would be if they thought Atlantis was ever a real place... Or if someone thought that this planet was ever totally covered in water...

wow...you're really not out to make friends are you? Pretty closed minded if you ask me. And the earth is square right?
And, hey! I'm having fun again. Now that I know you are unreasonable...I can ignore you.

fortuneandglory

ClintonHammond said:
I HATE hockey....

"instead of telling the other person he/she is wrong..."

"I've given some pretty good sources before"
Such as???

"and they've been dismissed as "spurious" because they were researched by Christians"
No they weren't... they were dismissed because they were lousy science...

Yeah, lousy science according to whom? Who decides what is good science, and what isn't, YOU? Don't make me laugh. If the only sources that are good agree with you, I'll place my bets on lousy science. At least then I'll get both sides of the argument, not just the parts you want me to see.

"lousy science according to whom?"
The scientific community.... The people who dismiss ther cranks and crackpots you keep dragging out to support your opinions... They are tin-foil-hat wearing lunatics like the same guys who try to say that we never landed on the moon in 1969.... or that flouride in the water is a tool for orbital mind control lasers.... One may as well believe Eric Von Daniken...

Both sides?
You are so self deluded you don't even hardly know what it is you're talking about in the first place, let along being able to see 'both sides'...

And well, there aren't 2 sides to facts....

O.k... there are... there's what did happen and what didn't happen.... you cannot pass off the latter as the former....

fortuneandglory

But there are many ways facts can be interpreted, according, like I have said, to a belief, or non-belief system. You simply decide to ignore everything that contradicts your doctrine of indecision. The scientific community would not dismiss information simply because it's interpreted in a Christian perspective. You think you've proven something every time you speak, but at some point or another, you need to realize that my sources are scientists, just like yours. They just believe in something you don't.

I seem to remember you asserting that Jesus Christ never existed as a man... a well documented and easy to prove figure in history. Who's self deluded now? The point is, you give equally wild assertions based on scientific evidence. Like I've said, there are no facts in science, just interpretations of what we see. You see something different than I do, so don't insult me because I have a see things through a different lens than you.