For those who really didn't like it...

fedoraboy

...has it tarnished the original trilogy???

i can't make my mind up, still completely gob smacked at how little there was to enjoy in the movie and trying to work up the courage to see it again, convinced i will get my worst fears reconfirmed.

Is it possile to pretend that this movie doesn't exist, to enjoy the first three as we did before this blundered into cinemas. I've Personally never had a problem divorcing the YIJC from the trilogy (although, in comparison to KOTCS, Young Indy now seems a lot more palatable) but is it gonna be possible for me to divorce a Ford starring Spielberg directed Indy movie from the beloved trilogy?

And if I can't remove it from my mind and pretend it never happened, will I ever be able to watch Raiders again in the same way, to appreciate the fiery interactions between Marion and Indy without being reminded of the sparkless cliched exchanges I witnessed yesterday afternoon between, allegedly, the same two characters? And can i enjoy the optimism and spirit at the end of LC as our heroes ride into the sunset, without being reminded of what happens the next time we see our hero on the big screen?

I know I will always love Raiders, Crusade and Doom as the excellent genre examples that they are, but I feel my love of the character, the franchise, the mythology may have been permenantly tainted...anyone else have similar worries...

Manco

While I don't have the same feelings about this movie as you do, I completely ignore the Star Wars Prequels, which isn't really difficult. I treat them as if they don't really exist.

Tsar

Watching KotCS made me realize, even more, of how great the original trilogy is. If anything, KotcS increased my appreciation for the original films.

I too ignore the SW prequels, they never happened.

sanitystream

Just never watch Crystal Skull again. For me, a film only really seeps into my pores after repeat viewings. If you never go back to it, it won't haunt your memories.

Thankfully, most of the atrocity known as Crystal Skull is still a hazy, half-formed fever dream that hasn't coalesced in my own memory. As long as I never dare watch it again, it'll never plant the seeds of doubt in my mind.

Same thing happened with Attack of the Clones -- I saw it once, I hated it, I never saw it again, and now I couldn't tell you one detail about it if my life depended on it.

Manco

Now that was a truly awful film. Ugh. I shudder, I accidentally watched part of it on television awhile back, it took me awhile to figure out which movie I was watching. The third one was even worse.

But the worst of all was X Men 3.

davejames

Not for me. Unlike the SW prequels, Indy 4 doesn't really reinterpret or redefine the original trilogy or it's characters. And Indy and Marion were so lifeless and out of character anyway, and the dreary tone was so radically different from the snappy, fast-paced originals, that it won't be hard to pretend this was just some weird, unrelated offshoot of the Indy universe like the TV series was.

Aggie Crusade

Tsar said:
Watching KotCS made me realize, even more, of how great the original trilogy is. If anything, KotcS increased my appreciation for the original films.

I too ignore the SW prequels, they never happened.

I agree 100%. I wanted to watch the original trilogy after seeing the movie last night.

The SW prequels just sucked.

Grailseeker

I don't think it's going to ruin the trilogy for me at all.
Although I have been pretty disappointed by Indy 4 due to overly used CGI and showing ET's (which is a big no-no) I think this film will EVENTUALLY grow on all of us.

Don't get me wrong the physical set usage of the old days and real special effects are priceless and we all wished Spielberg would of used more of (no thanks to the Lucas-nator, destroyer of worlds), we're going to look back on this film in about 2-3 years and start to accept it into the franchise...

WHY?!!?!? Because of Harrison Ford
Whether we fanboys QQ all over this message board like a bunch of sry nooblets playing an MMO for the first time, we can't turn our backs on the Mr. Ford.

I can never again watch Raiders, especially the scene where Indy walks into the Raven and Marion turns and sees him standing there, without thinking of him 27 years later seeing Marion come out of the tent and he shrugs his shoulders and makes that giddily stupid laugh. It has completely altered my percetion of the original films the way that the Star Wars Prequels have tarnished the originals.

visionz13

Simple:

Too much george lucas, swinging with vines-catching speeding trucks, silly sword fights and certian dialogue that makes you shutter

also

Poor steven spiels, this had its moments i.e. motorcycle chase, indy vs dovchenko 2, opening racing sequence, those were times steven had his touch, other times-he actually made the movie worse off

Harrison seemed a little out of sorts, but one more movie should help all this

Grailseeker

Man...I agree with you sooo much.

Those scenes broken down between Lucas and Spielberg is sooo right on.

Nice job! Seriously, it makes good sense.

fedoraboy

visionz13 said:
Harrison seemed a little out of sorts, but one more movie should help all this

Would anybody really want another one after this??? Surely things can only get worse...

Although, as it has been continually reported over the years, Spielberg apparently made Crusade as an 'apology' for doom, so maybe we can expect another 14 good Indy films, which would just about make up for this abomination...

davejames

Agent Spalko said:
I can never again watch Raiders, especially the scene where Indy walks into the Raven and Marion turns and sees him standing there, without thinking of him 27 years later seeing Marion come out of the tent and he shrugs his shoulders and makes that giddily stupid laugh. It has completely altered my percetion of the original films the way that the Star Wars Prequels have tarnished the originals.

God, that was horrible. I remember the critics praising that scene and the "raw, heartfelt emotion" on Ford's face when he sees Marion again.

Are you kidding me?? His reaction was about as fake and over the top as Tobey Maguire's blubbery crying scenes in the Spidey movies were. It didn't look genuine at all.

In fact Ford wasn't that good at all in this movie, I'm afraid. He certainly LOOKED good, but there was way too much mugging for the camera and it felt like he was really struggling to break out of his recent glum mode and be the more animated Harrison we remember.

The only times he felt truly like "Indy" to me was when he was pissed off and growling at somebody in that gravelly voice of his.

indyjones2131

This really is so sad.

Has it tarnished the other films. Yes. I think it has. I can't hear the March or Marions Theme without seeing the nightmarish images of this latest film.
I have looked forward to the Indy Marion reunion for so long. That scene was handled worse than I could have ever dreamed.

I literally bit the side of my lip while watching it - thinking it was a nightmare like the several other such nightmares Ive had over the last few months.

We could all be gathered here talking about how great the movie was and instead here we are... Just sad.

Benraianajones

I think having Marion and Indiana "close" but "apart" would always have been a better option, than pushing them together at the end. Indiana could have still had a family, Henry didn't have to be killed off, and even if he was - he had Mutt, and Indiana could have been close with him and Marion. But it seems like we needed to see a wedding to "see it".

No Ticket

Agent Spalko said:

I actually liked his reaction. I thought it was good. You can tell he never expected to see her again and that with time, he really missed her so he was just so... out of it when he first saw her.

I thought it was in character. What did you want him to do, just be a hard ass like when he saw her at The Raven?

Lon

Jesus Christ what a bunch of whiny *****es.

Exactly how does Crystal Skull "tarnish" any of the other movies? The other movies haven't changed.

I loved Crystal Skull. I will buy Crystal Skull the day it comes out on DVD and put it next to the other three and watch it several times a year, the same way I do the other three films.

indyjones2131

Are we whining when we say how sad we were that the movie was so far off of the tone and feel of our FAVORITE movies of all time? Or are we DISCUSSING the film on a message board made for DISCUSSION!?

Quit waisting our time, whining about our discussion please.

Thanks!

Lon

Yes you are whining. Just like George Lucas said you would.

You're *****ing that somehow this changes the quality of the other three films which is absurd.

How old are you?