Forbidden Planet remake!!!

sandiegojones

I've been wanting this for years (if done right). Rumor was that Spielberg could direct. It's being produced by Joel Silver though so I'm sure that won't happen. Also, seeing what is happening to The Day the Earth Stood still I bet they'll make it all about the environment rather than be psychological. Still, TDTESS did keep GORT so perhaps they can make a cool Robby for this. They also must keep the UFO like ship.

I think at his age, Harrison Ford could be a good Dr. Morbius too!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=50166

michael

I'm not too sure about this. It's a classic, a staple of the sci-fi genre, do they really have to remake everything nowadays.

sandiegojones

From AICN:

Last Friday, The Hollywood Reporter broke the news about J. Michael Straczynski writing a "remake" of FORBIDDEN PLANET for producer Joel Silver. Today, we have additional info that indicates this is not so much a "remake" as a complementary piece to the Fred M. Wilcox/Cyril Hume classic.

As for the look of the film, it will apparently be an "enormous, giant, retro sci-fi movie"; in other words, they're going to implement the design of the original rather than attempt something modern. As Harry said, nothing "sleek or chromy" like Fox would do. (HARRY HERE: In fact my source says that Robby The Robot as we know him, will be implemented in the film.)

This is cool. It's not a remake, but a semi-sequel with a similar production design as the original 1956 film. Awesome! (y)

I wonder if they're going with the idea that as the planet (Altair 4) was being destroyed, that perhaps the power of the Krell machine actually paused the destruction and allowed a memory of the planet to rebuild itself since the "infinite power" allowed for creation of anything using mere thought"? Maybe it was Robby's memory? He didn't really fry all his circuits and maybe he entered the Krell lab and found Morbius dead. His stored memory could have regenerated the planet before it was totaly destroyed?

Last edited: