Fountain Pen

sanma sensei

Does anyone know the make/model of the fountain pen used by Henry Jones ? i have read other boards that seem to think it is a conway stewart 58

Stoo

Hi, Sanma. Nice to see a question about such an obscure prop!;) To my knowledge, there has never been a discussion about this, here at The Raven. Nobody has answered you, so I will.

The other 'boards' you refer to are most likely correct. As a former calligraphy instructor & enthusiast, I do know a bit about classical writing instruments and after doing some in-depth analysis on Henry Sr.'s pens, 1 of the 3 associated with "Crusade" does indeed appear to have been a Conway Stewart #58, which is a top quality choice!(y) However, it's presence in 1938 is yet another anachronism for the film series (even though it's a very, very, very minor one).

Henry Sr.'s three (excluding the TV series):
1) The pen used in Utah
2) The pen used in the tank
3) The pen not used/seen in the film (as far as I can determine)

Each of these 3 can be elaborated upon but, for the moment, here's a scan* from the book, "The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives", which shows 2 of them. Details will follow about Henry's deft, ink-squirting manoeuvre & which pen he used to pull it off...

*Larger than actual size.

Pens_Archives_zpsa71738ed.jpg

One thing's for sure is that they ain't Sheaffers. To identify that brand: "Look for the white dot" (as the TV commercials used to say.:))

Stoo

Here's the pen that was presented in the National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition. (Yes, it's a sh*t photo but it's the best one that I took of it.)

Pen_Exhibit_zps39994faa.jpg

Even though it matches one of the two in the "Lucasfilm Archives" book, this is DEFINITELY NOT the pen which Henry Sr. used to squirt ink into a guy's face! To my knowledge, it was never seen anywhere in the film. Why, then, was this part of the exhibit?:confused: I can only think of 3 scenarios:

1) It was in the film and I've missed seeing it.
2) The Lucasfilm Archives people can't find/don't have the original, Conway Stewart prop anymore and used this as a substitute with the hopes that nobody would notice.
3) The Lucasfilm Archives people in charge of supplying props for the exhibit were ignorant of the details and didn't really know what they were doing. (So sorry, Kyra Bowling, because you did a great job otherwise!;))

---
I haven't identified this particular pen yet but it's safe to say that it's NOT a Conway Stewart, despite the common green & black marble pattern. The shape of the knob on its clip is the MAIN clue (and there are other tell-tale signs, as well).

Details on the ink-squirter...comin' up!:D

Last edited: