Frank Marshall in Empire magazine - 'More like LC in tone'

Zorg

oki9Sedo said:
Much as I enjoyed Last Crusade, its action is diluted (uninspired, bloodless speedboat chase/motorbike chase/aerial dogfight....all boring as a dogs ass) and there's too much light comedy.

Again, all that is a matter of personal tastes. Personally, I love the comedy in LC just as much as I love ROTLA. And there's a lot of comedy in ROTLA too. So when someone is saying KotCS resembles ROTLA and someone else is saying it's like LC... my point: Myself I don't see the difference between the two to be as huge as some people see it. Not at all.

oki9Sedo

Zorg said:
Again, all that is a matter of personal tastes. Personally, I love the comedy in LC just as much as I love ROTLA. And there's a lot of comedy in ROTLA too. So when someone is saying KotCS resembles ROTLA and someone else is saying it's like LC... my point: Myself I don't see the difference between the two to be as huge as some people see it. Not at all.

The action in Raiders is intense, original and quite bloody at times, whereas in Crusade its fairly limp, uninspired and bloodless. Speedboat chases, aerial dogfights, motorbike chases, we've seen all that before countless times.

As for the comedy, Last Crusade was definitely more humour driven than Raiders.

Katarn07

2 out of 3 guys have said it's the most tonally similar to RotLA. Why is everyone throwing a fit? It's all a matter of opinion. Let's wait and judge for ourselves. I would recommend going in with low expectations no matter what any of these guys say about it. That way, you won't be let down. Too much.... :p

Matthew

No matter what, if nothing else but because of the time that's passed, this film share the tone of any other, overall feel. I'm sure most people aren't thinking of the fact that "tone" is being regarded differently by most, at least on different levels. So with speculation, some may talk about the tone on lighter levels, like as simple as the elements of it, others, like me, are usually talking about tone as more to do with the ambience. Eh, that'll take to long to explain.

Anyway, they were even comparing the tone of LC to Raiders, especially before it came out. Are they the similar tone?

Even if they aim for Kotcs to resemble any other's tone, as for ambience, it can't. (the crates & warehouse scare me) I think it'd be suicide if they try.

The film will be its own thing as far as tone, with the character older it can't ever really feel like Raiders for ex., but what I'm trying to say that if they do try and treat it that way, it'll prob. be disastrous. Hopefully I'm wrong if they do go that way.

oki9Sedo

Matthew said:
The film will be its own thing as far as tone, with the character older it can't ever really feel like Raiders for ex., but what I'm trying to say that if they do try and treat it that way, it'll prob. be disastrous. Hopefully I'm wrong if they do go that way.

I agree that the film should, and will, have a tone of its own.

But what they meant was that it would be most similar to Raiders in the sense that its less humour-driven than Crusade, and more back to the edge of Raiders.

More akin to Last Crusade? This is not good news, IMO. Crusade already contained enough humour to fuel a new series of Friends. We don't need any more!!! Too much humour will dilute the 'edge of the seat effect'. Crusade was the least thrilling because of this very reason.

Also, Spielberg seems to be more secretive than anyone else about the movie. Does this imply a love for the film or a distaste...

Last edited:

QBComics

loganbush said:
...They are making and Indiana Jones movie.....

I have no idea what the odds were of that happening but I'm just thankful Indy freakin Jones get to be on the big screen again.

Agreed. I enjoyed all movies and I don't care which one it is most like. I will enjoy it.

notimeforlove

herr gruber said:
More akin to Last Crusade? This is not good news, IMO. Crusade already contained enough humour to fuel a new series of Friends. We don't need any more!!! Too much humour will dilute the 'edge of the seat effect'. Crusade was the least thrilling because of this very reason.

Also, Spielberg seems to be more secretive than anyone else about the movie. Does this imply a love for the film or a distaste...

it could be a bad movie and still be 10 times better than either national treasure movie, which i enjoyed for the fluff they were, or 1/2 the movies that come out every year for that matter.

Spielberg though, does not make bad films. he makes good to incredible films. No worries here.

No Ticket

Everybody chill until you see the trailer on this "oh my god it's like LC" stuff.

... still

I'm scared to death about Spielberg's possible distaste with the film. Especially after comments Lucas has made and the fact that we STILL do not have a trailer.

I just need to see the trailer. Come on Steven... come on Georgy boy... where is it? I need to see it before my head pops.

Finn

Staff member
No Ticket said:
Come on Steven... come on Georgy boy... where is it? I need to see it before my head pops.
Patience, patience. It'll come, likely sooner or later.

By the way, I actually like all this waiting and secrecy and smokescreens deployed around. Am I the only one?

Bjorn Heimdall

Finn said:
Patience, patience. It'll come, likely sooner or later.

By the way, I actually like all this waiting and secrecy and smokescreens deployed around. Am I the only one?

Finn, is that actually the case here? Couldn't it be that the makers actually check websites like this one and realise that a single quote or a screenshot where a car tire has a wrong shade of black can cause an uproar?

Anything that has been released about this film, and doesn't fit the fan's imagination 130%, is going to get a huge boot in the crotch, so to speak. So saying/showing as little as possible seems to be the way to go:hat:

trippweeder

Frank Marshall in Empire - "More like LC in tone"

"The picture is locked," says Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull producer Frank Marshall. "Steven's pretty much done editing. And were going into the phase with Johnny Williams where he starts scoring the movie. He's really writing now, and then we'll start scoring in February."

Entering the homes straight of post-production, Crystal Skull has managed to keep story details under wraps. It has been 19 years since the intrepid archaeologist has graced the multiplex, leading to much debate about the ways Indy might change to keep pace with the new breed of drunken pirates, amnesiac spies and tortured, caped vigilantes. The answer seems hardly at all, everyone at Camp Indy that the movie retain the gruff thrills and lo-fi flavour of the original trilogy. Take, for instance, the number of digital effects shots that ILM, under the supervision of Pablo Helman, are currently working away on.

"There are a couple of hundred, which is very low," says Marshall. "We're completely in the style and tone of of the first three movies - right down to the fact Michael Kahn is cutting on a Moviola."

If Crystal Skull is keeping pace with the previous flicks - "We have all the iconic elements we had in the first three," confirms Marshall - which of the first three does it most resemble: the thrills of Raiders, the gloom of Doom, or the comedy of Crusade?

"I would say it's closest to the third one. It's adults. I mean, you have the sidekick in Shia(LaBeouf), but you don't have a Short Round, and I think the banter between the characters is as fun as it was in the third movie."

Still, Indy has moved with the times. Lucas recently revealed that just as the original films, set in the 30's, paid tribute to the Saturday morning serials of that decade, so Crystal Skull, set 20-odd years later in 1957,will pay tribute to the low-grade movie equivalent of that era - Z-level sci-fi films like The Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Blob. It's a smart move that gives the film a potentially completely different flavour within the same context of thrills, spills and B-movie homage. The shift in decade has also allowed Indy to fight a new foe (out go the Nazis, in come the Soviets) and a new mindset for our hero.

"Indy is a bit older now," explains Marshall. "He's been a professor at Marshall for the last 15, 16 years now, so he's learnt a few things. You're going to see the results of what he's learnt over these last few years."

To add further glitz, David Keopp's screenplay had given Indy a foil in the shape of LaBeouf as a teen tearaway. Look anywhere on the internet (okay, maybe not Facebook) and the popular rumour is that Labeouf is Indy's estranged son named Mutt, the bi-product of that one-night stand with Marion on the tramp steamer in Raiders (which makes the picture on the previous spread a family portrait). But Marshall will neither confirm of deny.

"He brings a youthful arrogance that Indy can play off and there's a lot of banter between the two of them," says Marshall about LaBeouf's character. "Think American Graffiti. There's a hot rod and a greaser on a bike."

Rounding out the cast is a clutch of actors that constitute the best eensemble of 2008. Cate Blanchett as Russian spy Spalko ("She's very...severe. I think Cate had a ball!"), Karen Allen returning as Raiders love interest Marion Ravenwood, John Hurt as an unnamed academic, rumoured to be Marion's long-lost father Abner ("A person that Indy knew in the past but much more on the university side of things, like Denholm Elliot was," is the Marshall line), and our very own Ray Winstone as a rival archaeologist.

"He's a friend and foe of Indiana Jones. They've known each other over the years," says Marshall. "Indy's also worked for the government before, so you might think that they were both in the Service together. Maybe Ray was in your Service and Indy was in our Service, and they came together in the past and now they are coming together again. There's a friendly rivalry."

So it's not like Belloq, a pure antagonist?

"No, not that kind of competitive. They are friends. But the natural forces of greed take over at some point."

With a May 22 global release date, a promotional campaign is starting to gather pace, following the release of Drew Struzan's brilliant teaser poster. (Fans are seeing all these things that I look at and go, 'Well, I guess you could say that!'"), the debut of the first trailer this month and, new for Indiana Jones, a blitz of merchandising hoopla.

"It's funny that there's an Indiana Jones Potato Head but also and Indiana Lego set! We have more merchandising elements with this one than with the other three, a lot more fun things to be part of the legacy."
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL IS OUT ON MAY 22.

ARTICLE COURTESY OF EMPIRE MAGAZINE.

Last edited:

trippweeder

Some members wanted to see the article. Again, it's in the Spoiler Folder, and Empire have already published the magazine. My reproduction is merely for fans who can't get a copy.

trippweeder

Bjorn Heimdall said:
Fair enough. But the "Courtesy of Empire Magazine" line seems a bit... untrue.

Well, that's where the article came from. It would be inappropriate not to acknowledge the source.

trippweeder

Take, for instance, the number of digital effects shots that ILM, under the supervision of Pablo Helman, are currently working away on.

"There are a couple of hundred, which is very low," says Marshall.

Just curious: are 200-odd effects shots high or low in comparison with the previous three movies?

notimeforlove

trippweeder said:
Some members wanted to see the article. Again, it's in the Spoiler Folder, and Empire have already published the magazine. My reproduction is merely for fans who can't get a copy.

awesome tripweeder! thank you much.

and you acknowledged appropriately.

notimeforlove said:
awesome tripweeder! thank you much.

and you acknowledged appropriately.

Uhm... no he didn't.

Courtesy implies (in fact it flat-out states) an express permission to reproduce the copyrighted material.

I won't argue that it was wrong to post the article; I pirate all the time.

But let's not kid ourselves. Or at the very least, let's all get a dictionary and understand the English language here if we're to use it. He has no express permission to reproduce the article. The "Courtesy Of" is simply a lie.