General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

The Man

graz said:
I was just thinking - could Lucas make an Indy film without Speilberg on board? Since it is Lucas's property (as far as I'm aware) I could quite imagine that if he gets another idea, he might well do it with himself or someone else as Director, since he seems determined to just do whatever he feels like these days.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea (Lucas left to his own devices rarely is)
I just wonder if it could happen...

Frankly, Skull felt as though Lucas had directed it in the first place. As George himself openly admits, Spielberg wasn't that 'enthusiastic'. Boy, did it show...

jazzycmk

If I was a betting man, I would say we're never going to see an Indy V, although frankly, I'm surprised they're even talking about it.

However, considering Lucas' vague comments about wanting to move further into the future, while Spielberg wants to go into the past tells me they are poles apart. And we're not even talking about script treatments yet. KOTCS got tied up for over a decade in script re-writes and overhauls.

Ford still pulled off Indy in KOTCS. He still had the swagger and moxie in the jacket and fedora. He could still take and deliver a punch. But at some point, time will catch up. I don't want to see an Indy movie with Indy as a shadow of his former self.

KOTCS was a good movie, not a classic, but entertaining. It was a good nostalgic trip for all the Indy fans who thought they were never going to see another movie. Might be best to leave it there.

James

graz said:
I was just thinking - could Lucas make an Indy film without Speilberg on board?

Yes, and it nearly happened with TOD. Spielberg was getting tired of waiting for the project to come together, and toyed with the idea of merely producing. Lucas didn't want to lose him as director, and urged the writers to quicken their pace.

However, I think it's now reached the point where neither Ford, Lucas, or Spielberg would make a film without the others. It may have happened in the mid-80s, but now the series is too much like a family affair. To his credit, Lucas could've whored the franchise to death in the 90s. Instead, he insisted they should only do it if they could have fun.

The Man said:
Frankly, Skull felt as though Lucas had directed it in the first place. As George himself openly admits, Spielberg wasn't that 'enthusiastic'. Boy, did it show...

I think people are reading too much into that comment, and just grasping for a negative story. There's no reason to think he was referring to the actual production, rather than the film's long, difficult history.

Spielberg said for years that he wasn't that crazy about the ufo idea. But he's also admitted he wasn't crazy about the Holy Grail, and that he only did LC because he'd promised George. He even structured the film to make it seem like "the end"- just so he'd never have to make another Indiana Jones film. Yet we never see fans trying to spin all of that into a "Spielberg hated LC!" theory.

Spielberg's touches are all over KOTCS. It's even built around his favorite theme: The fractured family unit. There's a pretty big difference between that type of film, and one where Indy witnesses giant flying saucer battles. There's also no difference between adding a father to interest him in LC, and adding a son to interest him in KOTCS.

Spielberg fought for the cgi monkeys, didn't want to work outside the US, and wanted to make a film for the entire family. In his interview with Empire, he even joked about the slapstick comedy he'd included. According to him, he would laugh with his editor and say, "Are we going too far?"

But I guess Lucas is simply an easier target online.

Udvarnoky

That's definitely true. George is the internet's punching bag, not always without good reason, but the bottom line is that in the case of Crystal Skull Spielberg is pretty much exclusively to credit/blame for how you feel about it. Even if every bad idea was somehow the brainchild of George Lucas, Spielberg approved every decision that was made for this movie. He signed off on the script, Kaminski's DI work, the effects, everything. No one forced him to do that.

As I've said before, I'd like to see an Indy5, but I'm not holding my breath since it would have to be made pretty directly. When the dust settles, Indy4 is more or less along the lines of the original three. I do have problems with the movie (though I think a lot of the "problems" that people on the internet have made a habit of complaining about are stupid), but it's pretty clear that the people behind Indy4 know what they're doing, they just need another shot to make it truly great.

DIrishB

James said:
Yes, and it nearly happened with TOD. Spielberg was getting tired of waiting for the project to come together, and toyed with the idea of merely producing. Lucas didn't want to lose him as director, and urged the writers to quicken their pace.

However, I think it's now reached the point where neither Ford, Lucas, or Spielberg would make a film without the others. It may have happened in the mid-80s, but now the series is too much like a family affair. To his credit, Lucas could've whored the franchise to death in the 90s. Instead, he insisted they should only do it if they could have fun.

I think people are reading too much into that comment, and just grasping for a negative story. There's no reason to think he was referring to the actual production, rather than the film's long, difficult history.

Spielberg said for years that he wasn't that crazy about the ufo idea. But he's also admitted he wasn't crazy about the Holy Grail, and that he only did LC because he'd promised George. He even structured the film to make it seem like "the end"- just so he'd never have to make another Indiana Jones film. Yet we never see fans trying to spin all of that into a "Spielberg hated LC!" theory.

Spielberg's touches are all over KOTCS. It's even built around his favorite theme: The fractured family unit. There's a pretty big difference between that type of film, and one where Indy witnesses giant flying saucer battles. There's also no difference between adding a father to interest him in LC, and adding a son to interest him in KOTCS.

Spielberg fought for the cgi monkeys, didn't want to work outside the US, and wanted to make a film for the entire family. In his interview with Empire, he even joked about the slapstick comedy he'd included. According to him, he would laugh with his editor and say, "Are we going too far?"

Udvarnoky said:
That's definitely true. George is the internet's punching bag, not always without good reason, but the bottom line is that in the case of Crystal Skull Spielberg is pretty much exclusively to credit/blame for how you feel about it. Even if every bad idea was somehow the brainchild of George Lucas, Spielberg approved every decision that was made for this movie. He signed off on the script, Kaminski's DI work, the effects, everything. No one forced him to do that.

As I've said before, I'd like to see an Indy5, but I'm not holding my breath since it would have to be made pretty directly. When the dust settles, Indy4 is more or less along the lines of the original three. I do have problems with the movie (though I think a lot of the "problems" that people on the internet have made a habit of complaining about are stupid), but it's pretty clear that the people behind Indy4 know what they're doing, they just need another shot to make it truly great.

Very refreshing posts.

And, yes, I'd love to see Indy 5. I'd love to see anything with new Indy stories, whether its movies, comics, novels, video games, whatever. I love the character and when done right in any medium, at the very least its always a lot of fun to follow along on his adventures.

graz

James said:

Also, the aliens and spaceship in KOTCS put me more in mind of 'Close Encounters' than anything Lucas has done. I think George is paying the price for the Star Wars prequels - people just assume he is the problem now (if they perceive there to be one!).

Udvarnoky

James said:
I'm more surprised that they're even open to the idea of making another film. Didn't you honestly expect this one to be presented as a swansong? They certainly wouldn't have raised any eyebrows with such an announcement.

I'm only just getting a chance to read through the last few pages of this thread, but this is an interesting point. This movie was definitely not marketed as "Indy's last adventure" in the same way Crusade was. It was more like, "Here's Indy's latest adventure!" And the movie did not feel like an ending chapter so much as a middle one. Maybe after convincing themselves that Crusade was the end and then turning out to be wrong, they're more open to the possibility of there being more.

spidey_99

agentsands77 said:
I could see an older Jones adventure working, but I would want it to be a more sedate affair. Less popcorn thrills, more story, and more atmosphere. I don't know how well that would go over.

Oh man, I LOOOOVE that idea. Kind of like a Dan Brown novel (altho Da Vinci movie was terrible). That's pretty darn cool!

Coronel Vogel

This caught my attention

During the last months I've been reading supershadows.com. Now I know that's never real but he mentions in one moment an Indiana Jones film about he holy cross and I began to think about it. Maybe Lucas has thought about it at some point cause its interesting and that could do for the 1 and 3 jewish-christian plots.

QBComics

Coronel Vogel said:
During the last months I've been reading supershadows.com. Now I know that's never real but he mentions in one moment an Indiana Jones film about he holy cross and I began to think about it. Maybe Lucas has thought about it at some point cause its interesting and that could do for the 1 and 3 jewish-christian plots.

Let me tell you something. Supershadow.com is suckish. It lies and it's not trustworthy at all. Don't even bother reading it.

jazzycmk said:
KOTCS was a good movie, not a classic, but entertaining. It was a good nostalgic trip for all the Indy fans who thought they were never going to see another movie. Might be best to leave it there.

I certainly don't want them to 'leave it there' !

It's like drinking cod liver oil and not rinsing your mouth with something pleasant afterwards...

I need a refreshing Coke after the poison.

Coronel Vogel

I agree with you

QBComics said:
Let me tell you something. Supershadow.com is suckish. It lies and it's not trustworthy at all. Don't even bother reading it.

I agree, just reading it to see what people say about the plot. I hate supershadows for all his lies. Just saying it'd be interesting as a plot to support the ark and the grail.(y)

The Man

Hmmm...

http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=5&ArticleId=2243

Spielberg was relegated to acting as an indirect contributor. But reps for both filmmakers insist it is Spielberg who is in charge of the first film, which will start shooting this fall as planned. Guess who is probably right. It seems that the film studio holds the cards, if it holds the copyrights.

Simple misunderstanding or a growing distrust of Spielberg's current sensibilities? We could all honestly agree that Crystal Skull was a shameful betrayal, but should it blight the future of its director?*

Again, hmmm...

*Not written as deliberate rabble-rousing. Honestly...:rolleyes:

No Ticket

The Man said:
Hmmm...

http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=5&ArticleId=2243

Simple misunderstanding or a growing distrust of Spielberg's current sensibilities? We could all honestly agree that Crystal Skull was a shameful betrayal, but should it blight the future of its director?*

Again, hmmm...

*Not written as deliberate rabble-rousing. Honestly...:rolleyes:

I don't know if it has to do with KOTCS, but I'd be willing to bet the STUDIO is going to be the one who is telling you the truth. Perhaps they've had a "falling out" with Mr. Berg. Sounds like he is fighting to stay in the director's chair, insisting he is still on... but the studio sounds like they've already decided Jackson's doing them all, including the first one.

Udvarnoky

I can't imagine Spielberg being off this project except of his own free will. He's been wanting to make this thing for twenty-five years. A guy that powerful wouldn't just be taken off the project by a studio head with different ideas.

This will be interesting if true. First Chicago 7, then Tintin. Spielberg's directorial schedule is suddenly freeing up, and not in slow-motion.

(The report sounds fishy to me though. I'd wager Spielberg is still directing the first Tintin movie this fall.)

indyrcks

If they do make a fifth one it better be good because the crystal skull mcguffin was a bit boring like who cares. Please George Lucas, Harrison Ford and Steven Speilberg please make the fifth one amaze us.