General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

DetectiveFork

I'm all for an Indy 5 with both Harrison and Shia, but it should still be Indy taking Mutt along for the trip, not the other way around. More like partners, if anything. When Lucas starts a Mutt series, different story. As it is, I don't feel like we've gotten enough Indy. But I'm very wary of anything Lucas does these days. At least with Indy 4 you have Spielberg running things.

Shindy

Lucas is a ****ing idiot. Spielberg's involvment with 4 is the saving grace. I actually like Shia and have enjoyed him in Transformers and Disturbia, but to have him replace Indy?

I will be very careful about how much money (merchandise/multiple viewings) I spend on this film now, in order to try and resist playing in to that bearded twats hands.

No Ticket

deckard24 said:
As usual No Ticket you summed it up nicely!

Hopefully the whole thing is just a ruse on Lucas' part, but Ford and LaBeouf chatting up the idea does give the story a bit of weight. I like LaBeouf but the Indy series need to remain the Indy series, not the Mutt and Indy, Indy and Mutt series! Anything else just cheapens it in my opinion.

Why can't LaBeouf just go do Transformers 2, Eagle Eye, and then something else with a character carved out just for him. As much as I'm looking forward to KOTCS, there's a big part of me regretting they even made this film. Spielberg invented the shot of Indy riding off into the sunset, and maybe that's the way it should've ended! No one had a problem with that ending, but Indy taking second seat to LaBeouf in a series of spin-offs I can't see being received well.

If you're all honest with yourselves. We all know this movie did not need to be made. LC ends it perfect. Indy rides off into the sunset, you're sure he will have more adventures but you never know what they're going to be. Just try to imagine them.

But we secretly WANTED another, even if we didn't need it. We're not the only fans of the series... I'm pretty sure Ford, Spielberg and Lucas at times felt similar feelings of wanting to revisit it even though they knew it's in the series's best interest to just let it go after LC.

So it eventually, finally got made. And it's no big deal because it HAS been a long time and we want to know what Indy has been up to. As long as it serves the fans in that manner... letting us know what's happened and giving us a fresh new adventure... not just reminding us of the old ones (which is kind of lazy writing, using nostalgia to make people think it's on par with older ones) but giving us a worthy installment.

Mutt is fine as a new character. But to make him have his own series would OBVIOUSLY be a ploy to make more money off this franchise. But I think I'd rather see a new actor portray Indy then a spin-off series with Shia in the lead as Mutt. I don't care about secondary characters, because as I said, Indy is supposed to be one of a kind. Sure, others can be similar to him or have adventures as well... but Indy is supposed to have all that dumb luck and the cool get-up with the jacket, fedora and whip. It's just a bad idea to continue with Mutt in another series.

That being said, I could live with that as a cartoon or comic or something. But not a film. That's Ford's arena. Leave that part of the Indy world alone Lucas. If you want another film, make sure it's worth making and that Ford/Spielberg are still on board. With FORD IN THE LEAD!!

And if they ever replace Ford as Indy, they have gotta wait a decent amount of time to do it. It would be weird and foolish to do it say, in 2-5.... heck maybe even 5-10 years from now.

If you're honest with yourselves. You all know Indy 4 is overkill on the series, it's a guilty pleasure that we're taking part in. We know we don't really NEED it, but we WANTED it and got it. If everyone is smart they'll just let it end here. Unless, as I said, they have a worthy reason to keep it going.

And I hope Lucas WAS kidding. Kind of funny if he was.

Gear

Yeah, I'm in with Angent Spalko and The Man. George Lucas, if Indy 5 does become reality, will only make Indiana Jones up like Star Wars. Watch, he'll go on to do Indy 5 then 6 and RUIN THE DAMN SERRIES.

No Ticket

gear guardian said:
Yeah, I'm in with Angent Spalko and The Man. George Lucas, if Indy 5 does become reality, will only make Indiana Jones up like Star Wars. Watch, he'll go on to do Indy 5 then 6 and RUIN THE DAMN SERRIES.

Well he's gotta do something else now... he's already successfully ruined Star Wars! I kid, I kid!!

Well, sort of.

Gear

Ha ha, no kidding. Well actually he has probably raket in enough money that he could do NOTHING for the rest of his life. You know, buy himself a nice padded room, maybe a nice cosey white jacket....

GL-1.jpg

Raiders90

If there's an Indy 5 or Mutt 1, they have to include the '64 NY World's Fair in some way. It was the last gasp of American innocence, class, and optimism, right after Kennedy's murder and as the War in Vietnam was beginning to escalate.

Vendetta08

On one hand this could be a cool idea if Mutt is a very likable character, but I still must say I will always hate the name Mutt.

On the other hand this is obviously a ploy by Lucas to milk the cow until it's utters have dried out. He's already pimped out Star Wars with the upcoming Clone Wars film(seriously!) and two more television shows.

Kingsley

I don't think it's a Joke... it even fits with those old rumours of Shia and Ford signing for more movies.
But from saying such a thing to making it for real there is a looong way.

I agree with No Ticket that Indy 4 is a guilty pleasure (LC ending was perfect). But at least this movie has the value of seeing an aging hero dealing with a changing world.

Indy 5 will not have that kind of interest for me anymore. They have to find something new and exciting to make it worth. Shia will not be new either. And for new, I'm not talking about Kevin Costner as a lost evil brother, or Natalie Portman as a daughter :p
But... I think they are perfectly capable to do something exciting.

On the other hand... Indy is almost in his 60's now. We know he hasn't many adventures left to live. Ending it now gives us still some room for imagination (something George Halls characterization somehow denied).
But with one or two other movies, we will get to the point where we will see the scene of Mutt sitting besides a dying Indy in his bed :eek:

Two more things... the time frame isn't necessary an issue. You can find the right tone for adventure in any time.
And I certainly prefer now a pure Mutt spinoff rather than a movie with Indy as a sidekick. Mutt's adventures don't need to deal with archaeology and lost treasures. As long as he travels around the world, and we don't get to know about Indy, and Spielberg is on board, they can make as many movies as they want (and surely they would be pretty good ones).
But after thinking better about it, I wouldn't like a passive Indy as some kind of old Kenobi.

Oh, oh! And one more thing... we all here are clearly Indy fans. We are an absolute majority right now. But what if new fans like Mutt better than Indy? And what if we are talking about millions of them? "Doing it for the fans" could have a new meaning in the future :rolleyes: All is sooo relative.

peterlally

The Search for Indy 4 is Dead long live the search for Indy 5.

My friend apparently has a copy of press copy of KOTCS I refuse to watch it!

Ive waited 20 years i must see it on the big screen!

jasperjones

The Official Indy V EVERYTHING thread

What would people want to see in a further adventure. What tone, what MacGuffin, what characters, what locations, what critters, what traps, what villains, what fade in?

I'm asking because I'd like to see if there's a general consensus. I'm going to come up with story line and the opening adventure in script format (I'm a screen-writer) and I want to see if it's possible to please everyone (or even most). I don't think it is byw but I think it could be fun trying. I've already got some fun ideas.

Mods, if this in the wrong place, I apologise.