General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Indy Jones

Would love to have Marion and maybe Mutt join Indy. Three might be a little too many at any given time, so I wouldn't mind if Mutt was busy and couldn't join them, but Marion has to join Indy!

I loved the Marvel "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" series because Marion joined him frequently. They're a great duo and play off of each other very well.

The idea of an Indy 5 with this newfound trio in the center of it all makes me giddy. I had to wait until I saw the film before I decided if I liked Mutt or not, but he's great. Just no more CGI monkeys. ;)

agentsands77

Sorry, I don't mind Marion or Mutt helping him, but both at one time is a bit much. I want to still feel like Indy's the spotlight here.

foreignerfred

The problem I have with characters reoccurring in a series like this is that you run the risk of feeling like a remake.

A lot of people feel too much territory, characters included, were rehashed in LC and claim that it's essentially an attempt to redo Raiders. If we have Marion and Mutt and Indy redoing and expanding the relationships set up and explored in KOTCS, I think it would feel more like KOTCS II than Indy V.

This is why I was always afraid Henry SR. WOULD return in KOTCS because we already have the perfect movie to explore his relationship with Indy, and any more would simply be indulgent. Not to mention the temptation to cannibalize scenes, set pieces, and dialogue from LC. I don't want to be watching Indy V and feel like I'm watching a continuation of KOTCS...

I want the next adventure in INDY'S life. Yes, now we know that Marion and Mutt are in his life, but let's not risk getting too much of a good thing! Indiana Jones as an ENSEMBLE CAST franchise just doesn't seem to add up to me.

Hedwig

I'm not sure if this is posted before, and if it is, I apologize, but:
What if the artifact that Indy is looking for wouldn't be a supernatural one?

airbag-jones

Indy 5=Back to the 1930s,new actor playing indy(with similarities to Ford),,complete reboot of the series...religious articfact...set in Western Africa or South East Asia....thats the kind of Indiana Jones movie id want to see now...they constantly reboot the James Bond Franchise with new actors and it works...why not with Indy??

Flash Dixson

I think Georges Idea is pretty good. He probably means it is a transition movie, which is a great Idea, it will probably have indy being the main guy and towards the end mutt will, kinda "take over". So it will be an indy but a conclusion to the indy saga. Then after that they will have a Mutt spinoff with Indy in the sean connery role, but a bit different. That would be awsome.

web.jpg

Goonie said:
Let's first take a look at the simple formulas of the first four:
Raiders: Quest to find artefact (ark) before bad guys do
Doom: Rescue mission (village children) and artifact retrieval (Sankara Stone)
Crusade: Quest to find artefact (grail) before bad guys do
Skull: Rescue mission (Oxley) and artifact return (skull)

I disagree about Crusade. It's really a rescue mission at the beginning. Indy's whole motivation is to rescue his missing father. Doom is not a rescue mission. He's after the stones and happens to find the children.

Way of the dodo

I'd like to see it stripped down to a simple chase movie like a 1950s Bourne Ultimatum (the story, not the editing style). Like Munich, it could be filmed relatively quickly in real locations around the world (digitally touched up afterwards for period accuracy) so Harrison doesn't get too much older. Indy's on a dig somewhere, gets caught a long way from home by fugitive Nazis. Has to make it back to america alive, the end.

lazadugi

This whole forum is exploded now. How the hell do you keep track of everything!?!?

I liked KOTCS! It has flaws but it is very enjoyable. (gee people, it is fine if you hated it - just stop bragging about it)
And I would like to see another Indy!

I admit, I didn't have slightest idea what could be #5 until I saw this post:
James said:
Villains: More communists- possibly the Chinese

Locations: Asia
Chinese commies is the best idea I found up to now (not exactly a global threat, but better then again Russians, and way better than Nazis).

Time period: early sixties.

Macguffin: with China and surroundings there are many possibilities. For instance Terracotta Army, Yeti being surviving Neanderthal and origins of Homo Sapiens, or my favorite: something to do with dragons (though this sounds like a Tomb Raider). OK, this is not easy as it seems...

Other then Russians and Chinese, the only other villains would be some cult, or Freemasons or such conspiracy.

lazadugi

I can't edit my previous post. So here:
I just saw that Mummy#3 is doing Terracotta Army --> can't be that.
Nor it can be anything already done in Tomb Raider games or movies.
Also it can't be anything from Young Indy or Indy games --> sadly no Atlantis.

Somebody in this huge thread nicely observed that Judeo-Christian artifacts work better, as they are ingrained into the Western culture and require less explanation. I had that thought after seeing the KOTCS, one flaw is that aliens, Akator and skulls need too much explanation.

Flash Dixson

I think it would be awsome if they did a movie involving the burmuda triangel. Something were the worlds greatest secrets has been kept there for centuries, what ever it may be.

James

foreignerfred said:
This is why I was always afraid Henry SR. WOULD return in KOTCS because we already have the perfect movie to explore his relationship with Indy, and any more would simply be indulgent.

I agree. I didn't want Henry Sr. to return, and I don't want to see Mutt back, either. Lucas says he wants Indy to transition into his father's role, but I feel he already did that in KOTCS. If you take the concept any further, I don't feel it would make a satisfying Indy film.

Shia did a good job as Mutt, despite the pressure of knowing fans were eager to hate him. But now that Mutt has less of a chip on his shoulder, the character just wouldn't be as interesting. They have a perfect way to explain his absence in a sequel, since the character could easily return to school.

I think the focus should remain on Indy as an older hero becoming obsessed with making one last, great find. Now that Marion's back, it would make perfect sense for her to realize that Indy is headed for the same fate as Abner.

James

One other location I'd like to see would somewhere in the UK like Scotland or England. He seems to have ventured there so often in the books and comics, it would be interesting to see onscreen. I actually thought we might be getting a taste of that in KOTCS, when he began to head for London.