General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Vendetta08

Oh GoD! Get Jackson if you want a 3 and a half hour Indiana Jones movie with Indy and Mac battling orcs and gorillas traveling through Middle Earth to 1950s New York along with Jack Black as Mac Jr.

I jest.

I honestly don't think this movie will get made. Spielberg has too many films in the pipe already.

Peter Jackson

bergstrom said:
Have u not seeen King Kong, jeez it was rubbish!!!

Peter Jackson's problem is that he edits his own movies (or has control of editing, one of the two). King Kong would have been great had a real editor come in and tighten up the storyline. LotR had the same problem. I loved the movies, but will never sit through them again. Having the director edit his own movies is almost a conflict of interest. They are too close to the process of creating the scene and have a certain bias toward getting it into the movie. Example: let's say a director spends 3 grueling days filming a jungle sequence, but that sequence really doesn't move the story along or slows down the pacing of the film, the director remembers how tough it was getting those shots and how he wants it to look in the final film, ignoring the fact that it messes up the pacing. Because he is personally attached to that scene, it winds up getting in the film if he edits it whereas a non-biased editor might have removed it.

Dewy9

I can't help but wonder if George is going to really try to get this movie done after Red Tails is out of the way. I think they've got about 3 or 4 years left before Harrison is "too old", which gives them time... I think.

The Drifter

I happen to like Peter Jackson and his overly-long movies. I have the extended versions of all three movies, plus the one for King Kong and I love the extra scenes it gives the films. I would be all over a three-and-a-half hour Indy movie.

Editing crucial to Indiana Jones

Most of Lucas's movies run just over two hours, and I think that is the perfect length for Indy movies. It is enough time to develop the story with 4 to five epic action scenes to keep the viewer on the "edge of his seat."

Webley

To keep the Indy universe going they should make a new movie but Doc Jones would not be in this one. Here's my pitch to George Lucas. "The Further Adventures Of Captain Katanga And The Bantu Wind" and we would follow Captain Katanga and his band of pirates on the seven seas. and Short Round could Captain Katanga's second mate.

DocWhiskey

You know, I would actually see that.

Katanga's the man.

A prequel to how Marion's night gown got on the Bantu Wind.

HJJNR

I can fully understand what you mean about Peter Jackson and his editing habits but I have to also agree that the extended versions of LOTR trilogy and King Kong are a massive improvement on the theatrical releases AND the extras discs are nothing short of awesome. If Peter Jackson were to make an Indy film, yes it would be 3 hours long and yes Andy Serkis will have a roll in there but on a high point... you will have a beautifully crafted rollercoaster ride of a movie with a great emphasise on character and plot development. And when it came to the DVD release he would make sure that it was filled with EVERY possible thing you can think of and more.

The reason is that Jackson is still that young kid wanting to make movies, he has a passion for creating silver screen magic. Very much like a young Mr.Spielberg used to be. I have to point out at this point that I am not a Peter Jackson groupie or fanatic, I just know a real moviemaker when I see it.

On a slightly different note; is anyone else disturbed by this vision of Indy's "Premium Format Figure" from Crystal skull?? It looks like Walter Matthau in an Indy costume.
:whip: :whip:

AlivePoet

HJJNR said:
I can fully understand what you mean about Peter Jackson and his editing habits but I have to also agree that the extended versions of LOTR trilogy and King Kong are a massive improvement on the theatrical releases AND the extras discs are nothing short of awesome. If Peter Jackson were to make an Indy film, yes it would be 3 hours long and yes Andy Serkis will have a roll in there but on a high point... you will have a beautifully crafted rollercoaster ride of a movie with a great emphasise on character and plot development. And when it came to the DVD release he would make sure that it was filled with EVERY possible thing you can think of and more.

The reason is that Jackson is still that young kid wanting to make movies, he has a passion for creating silver screen magic. Very much like a young Mr.Spielberg used to be. I have to point out at this point that I am not a Peter Jackson groupie or fanatic, I just know a real moviemaker when I see it.

On a slightly different note; is anyone else disturbed by this vision of Indy's "Premium Format Figure" from Crystal skull?? It looks like Walter Matthau in an Indy costume.
:whip: :whip:

This will sound like I'm shortchanging your opinion, but that's really all it is. The "Rings" trilogy, while cinematically well-crafted, are time-gulping spectacles. I have not sat through Return of the King fully since its theatrical release. I tried the extended just this past Christmas and it was even longer, with scenes that were not really necessary. There's a reason that Tolkien wished his books to never be set to celluloid...

For those of you who can regularly sit through these films, good for you. Most of us have other things to do at some point during a straight 4 hours.

Johnny Nys

AlivePoet said:
For those of you who can regularly sit through these films, good for you. Most of us have other things to do at some point during a straight 4 hours.

Which can be said about ANY one person's pastime of choice :hat:

It's the old quality over quantity thing again, and the price we have to pay for it. Every new released movie costs the same, no matter how long it is. So from a budget point of view, I'd prefer more movie for my money. That's one of the reasons why I usually enjoy long movies. But of course that doesn't guarantee a good movie.

I like an extended LOTR marathon. But it takes a lot of time, which I don't have. But if I did have it, or was able to shift some things around to make it, I'd certainly participate.

HJJNR

AlivePoet said:
This will sound like I'm shortchanging your opinion, but that's really all it is. The "Rings" trilogy, while cinematically well-crafted, are time-gulping spectacles. I have not sat through Return of the King fully since its theatrical release. I tried the extended just this past Christmas and it was even longer, with scenes that were not really necessary. There's a reason that Tolkien wished his books to never be set to celluloid...

I hear you! Hey we all have an opinion and none of us are right or wrong, its nice to hear a debate on such things. I for one have very little time to sit through all the LOTR extended, far from it. I got 3 kids... say no more. In fact I cant get through an episode of 24 without hitting the 'Pause' button ha ha.

I do prefer quality over quantity and I think we were slightly robbed of that with KOTCS, is it because LucasBerg have lost their passion for fresh ideas? Look throughout this forum and others like it, fan films and scripts a plenty with ideas bursting from every corner of this place... MOST of which are better (in script form) than KOTCS (that is simply an opinion, dont start a witch hunt lol).

To be honest I NEED to have an Indy 5, my son is on edge of his seat waiting too and he's only 6 years old luckily with Staff of Kings out soon his Indy thirst is temporarily quenched . So lets just sit with fingers crossed and hope that this happens before Harrison Ford simply can't carry it off. There has to be a point were they say; "Look, lets do this now or wait a few years and make Indiana Jones and the Broken Hip"!

JJ Abrahms could definitely pull it off too he has the eye for detail needed to take on Indy! I repeat an earlier post that if they are going to restart Indy with new actors; use Hugh Jackman as the lead, he has all those little quirks that Ford brings to the character. try and prove otherwise lol.:whip: :whip:

HJJNR

See?

Oh now you know I'm right lol.
hughjones.jpg

Webley

I would like this to be a possibilitie for the start of Indy5

Somewhere in Asia 1960. We see the silhouette of a man standing in an old forgotten temple. Directly in front of him is the idol.{you know the one from the beginning of Raiders} Its maybe 20 or 30 feet from the man. He starts to move forward a few feet but does not see the trip wire that?s ankle high. When the man trips the wire, we hear the chimes of bells. Slowly the entrance of the temple begins to close. the man snatches the idol and dashes to the door. Realizing he has more than enough time to escape, he decides to go back for the gold coins that wher on top of the altar with the Idol. When he grabs a handful of coins a trap door opens and he falls to the floor below. Where he finds himself facing the barrel of a gun. Slowly camera pans up the man we see khaki pants. Camera moves to mans beltline, hanging from left belt loop is a sling shot. Camera pans to show mans safari shirt, leather jacket + sachel....but whats this?? No fedora? A NY Yankees baseball cap?! That?s right! Shorty's all grown up. {scene 2} Marshall College Indy in his office going through his mail sees apackage from Shanghai. Indy opens package to find NY Yankees hat covered in blood. Indy "Here we go again."

THIS IS LIKE THE 3 OR 4 TIME IV POSTED THIS BUT STILL COOL

Col. Detritch

I don't know if anyone has posted this already or not because this thread is, something like 122 pages or somethind but I have found something of interest. Wether its valid or not dosn't matter.

In this exclusive interview, George Lucas reveals the secrets of the future of Indiana Jones 5 to SuperShadow and the fans.

SuperShadow: Will Indiana Jones 5 ever happen?
George Lucas: It depends. It will be awhile, but I might revisit the Indiana
Jones character again.
SuperShadow: Do you have a story idea for Indy Jones 5 yet?
George Lucas: Yes, I have a basic premise of what will happen in the next
one.
SuperShadow: What time frame does Indiana Jones 5 take place in?
George Lucas: The year 1959.
SuperShadow: The Indiana Jones movies always open with Indy Jones in the
middle of some kind of adventure. How does Indiana Jones 5
start out?
George Lucas: At the beginning, Indy is with some guides searching for the
hidden burial chamber of Genghis Khan.
SuperShadow: Where does this story open up at?
George Lucas: Mongolia.
SuperShadow: Can you explain who Genghis Khan is?
George Lucas: Genghis Khan was the powerful leader of the Mongol Empire,
which became the geographically largest empire in the history
of the world.
SuperShadow: Please continue.
George Lucas: Eventually, Indiana Jones finds the entrance to the Genghis
Khan tomb and subsequently discovers one of the greatest
archaeological finds of all time.
SuperShadow: What makes this discovery so important?
George Lucas: Well, Indy finds the remains of Genghis Khan with an untold
fortune in gold, precious stones and Mongol artifacts. Indiana
Jones basically finds out about all the hidden history of
Genghis Khan.
SuperShadow: Usually somebody takes whatever Indiana Jones finds at the
start of the movie. What happens this time in Indiana Jones 5?
George Lucas: I need to explain who the primary villains are for Indiana Jones
5. The Communists have taken over China. So basically the
Chinese are the bad guys for this film.
SuperShadow: Are they seen at the beginning of Indy Jones 5?
George Lucas: Yes, they've had Indy under surveillance as soon as Indy
enters Mongolia.
SuperShadow: The Chinese are basically watching Indy Jones for what
purpose?
George Lucas: Chinese spies learned that Indy Jones has information, which
might lead him to where Genghis Khan is buried. The
Communist Chinese are interested in these artifacts because
the Mongols terrorized China many hundreds of years ago. It's
sorta revenge for the Chinese really.
SuperShadow: This sounds absolutely fantastic. How do you keep thinking up
these ingenious quests for Indiana Jones?
George Lucas: I spend many hours a week studying world history. I'll find
something which interests me and try to find a way to develop
it further. It keeps getting harder and harder to be original
because there's only so much you can do with a story.
SuperShadow: What happens after Indy Jones finds the tomb?
George Lucas: The Chinese military appears and captures Indy and takes all
the Genghis Kahn historical objects back to China. This leads
to the main supernatural relic, which is the basis of Indiana
Jones 5.
SuperShadow: What do the Chinese do with Indy Jones?
George Lucas: They need Indy's help. The Chinese have been searching for
supernatural relics to make them invincible so that they can
control the entire world. In
Jerusalem, Chinese secret agents find clues which seem to
indicate the holy cross Jesus Christ was crucified on was
hidden by the Disciples.
SuperShadow: What a remarkably brilliant idea. What made you think of this?
George Lucas: With each Indiana Jones film, you have to improve on the
previous film. I've thought to myself that the most powerful
religious relic of all time would be the holy cross, which was
drenched in the blood of God as Jesus suffered on the holy
cross. Basically, I'm running out of Christian ideas for the films.
You have the legend of the Holy Grail, which we already
utilized so what you have left is the holy cross of the
crucifixion.
SuperShadow: Does Indy agree to help the Chinese?
George Lucas: Indy Jones examines the evidence the Chinese have gathered.
However, before Indy can make any real conclusions, the
British military raids the Chinese facility and seizes Indy and all
the evidence surrounding the location of the holy cross.
SuperShadow: So the British were watching the Chinese the whole time the
Chinese had Indy Jones under surveillance?
George Lucas: Exactly. In the case of espionage, you can never really know
who is watching you.
SuperShadow: What happens now? This keeps getting better and better. You
never run out of awesome ideas that are stunning and
mesmerizing.
George Lucas: The British take Indy to London, England where they explain
to Indy Jones what is happening. They tell Indy they had been
patiently watching the Chinese and waiting for the best
moment to spoil the Chinese plans for global domination. The
British ask Indy to find the holy cross for them so that they
can keep the Chinese from finding it first. The British give Indy
a side kick named Nevin, who is a seasoned British commando.
They travel the planet in search of the holy cross.
SuperShadow: What locations do Indy and Nevin travel to?
George Lucas: Initially, they go to Jerusalem to find additional information
about where the holy cross is hidden. The subsequent clues
take Indiana Jones to Russia, France and eventually to the
clandestine caves of Romania where the holy cross has been
secured for safe keeping.
SuperShadow: Very, very spectacular. What happens in the end?
George Lucas: Indiana Jones 5 finishes with a massive battle confrontation
between the British military and the Chinese military. The
unlimited supernatural powers of the holy cross are released
with our existence at stake.
SuperShadow: Wow. This is the best Indy Jones movie yet. You need to
begin pre-production on Indiana Jones 5 immediately.
George Lucas: For the next decade, I will be producing various Star Wars
television series, then we'll have to work on Star Wars Episode
7. It could be a while before Indy Jones 5 happens. It took us
forever to finally get Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the
Crystal Skull completed.
SuperShadow: Will Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford be involved with
Indiana Jones 5?
George Lucas: That's impossible to know. They each have other films they
want to do in the future. It probably won't happen soon.
SuperShadow: Thanks for giving us the latest spoilers about Indiana Jones 5.
You are a blessing to the fans and we will always appreciate
you dedicating your life to us.
George Lucas: Keeping my finger on the pulse of the fans enables me to live
a dream life while providing the fans with the exact type of
entertainment they want to see. I appreciate each fan
beyond what I can describe. You have all given me the most
perfect existence.

I found it on a site called SuperShadow (Google it). I have no idea if its real or not, I mean he disregared the wedding and Mutt, but it is tantilising to wonder. And its a pretty good idea, I wouldn't go with the Holy Cross (doesn't feel the same). But in the words od Henry Jones Sr. 'I don't know, we'll find out':gun: