General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Morning Bell

WeAreGoingToDie said:
I'm glad theforce.net reported on this, but really, did they need a whole paragraph on the writers dissapointment with KOTCS??? it really gets to me when a news site sticks heavy opinion into a story. We get it, some didn't like Indy 4, do we need TFNs opinion when reporting Indy 5? Atleast you don't see TheRaider reporting on The Clone Wars and peppering in prequel bashing statements.

I'm glad I'm not the only one irked by this. It was the same story with previews and reviews for the SoK game: everyone felt the need to project their thoughts on KOTCS when the topic didn't even center around the film. They're entitled to their opinion but I'm tired of it popping up in every piece of Indy news we get.

mister64

WeAreGoingToDie said:
I'm glad theforce.net reported on this, but really, did they need a whole paragraph on the writers dissapointment with KOTCS??? it really gets to me when a news site sticks heavy opinion into a story. We get it, some didn't like Indy 4, do we need TFNs opinion when reporting Indy 5? Atleast you don't see TheRaider reporting on The Clone Wars and peppering in prequel bashing statements.

I agree wholeheartedly. Just tell the readers the facts and let them draw their own conclusions. The forums are an excellent place for their opinions, not the front page of a news website (akin to the editorial page of a newspaper).

I-Jones

Indiana Jones 5 coming 2011?

http://www.theinsider.com/news/2358604_Harrison_Ford_set_to_play_Indiana_Jones_again

Indiana Jones star Harrison Ford is set to reprise his role as the legendary explorer - despite being almost 70.

Harrison, who turns 67 later on this month, will play the role of Indy in the fifth film in the series and it is claimed it will be his last performance as the adventurer.

It is claimed filming will not start until next year, and it will not be released before 2011, when the star will be 69.

A source said: “Harrison has kept himself in good shape and could still do a lot of the stunts in the last film.”

The source added: “But it’s obviously not going to get any easier the older he gets. He certainly would never have imagined playing Indiana Jones when he was nearing 70!”

I hope it gets released on Friday 10 June 2011 since the first one got released on Friday 12 June 1981, just 30 years later then the first one and since it's the last Indy movie with Harrison Ford a perfect ending with the 30th anniversary of Indiana Jones

WeAreGoingToDie

mister64 said:
The forums are an excellent place for their opinions, not the front page of a news website (akin to the editorial page of a newspaper).

What bugged me the most was that TFN does not have a comments section beneath articles, but rather says "discuss this story in the forums". Problem is, the forum link sends one to the main forum page, not a specific topic for the article itself. If a TFN writer wants to spark debate or ask a question, there isn't an easy way to do so.

Ah well, it seems Indy V is coming together and that's all I'm happy about. Just please don't pull a George Lucas and make the Indy equivalent to "Attack of the Clones". ;) I kid, I love me my Star Wars.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone who remembers the Indy 4 rumors knows not to trust dates. A writer comes about 1000 days out and we'll likely hear about it. A date about 500 days out, and a title about 200 days out. Of course we'll start hearing title rumors once there's a writer, even though we know they'd be fools to put the title on paper.

Similarly, you don't announce you'll buy a house in 2012 and what color it's going to be. You save and shop and do it when the time is right. So once again, dates and titles should set off your BS detectors.

JimmyPSHayes

It would be nice to have the movie open on Raider's 30th anniversary. Maybe if it's not ready by then they could re-release Raiders like Lucas did with the original Star Wars trilogy.
-I'm just glad that an Indy 5 is happening!

mister64

JimmyPSHayes said:
It would be nice to have the movie open on Raider's 30th anniversary. Maybe if it's not ready by then they could re-release Raiders like Lucas did with the original Star Wars trilogy.
-I'm just glad that an Indy 5 is happening!

I would love to see all three original films in theaters. That would be great for 2010, then in 2011 have Indy 5 come out. Would anyone like to see updated CGI in place of the older effects (Vogel and tank going off the cliff, Donovan rapidly aging, face-melting from Raiders, etc)?

As long as those were the only changes (no story-altering changes like Lucas did in the Star Wars Special Editions like Greedo shooting at Han, adding in deleted scenes like Jabba, etc), I wouldn't really mind.

Dewy9

If they (George, SS, Harrison) have general ideas for the action scenes and the MacGuffin, then I really don't see how it will take too long to write a script. I don't understand how it took them 20 years to get their act together on the last one.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I still wouldn't say Indy 5 is happening. Not until there is some sort of announcement for a writer working on it or something of those lines. It's still too early to call, in my book. Even Indy IV was too early to call for a very long time and didn't really think it would happen (though I did hope for it and wanted it) until the official announcement that they were making one with a production schedule and final script pencilled in. That's just the way I look at it.

lao che & sons

Dewy9 said:
If they (George, SS, Harrison) I don't understand how it took them 20 years to get their act together on the last one.

All of them were focused on other things like star wars and jurrasic park and just tossed the idea around by letting different writers write the scripts until they found one they liked. Unlike in the original trilogy they really had very little interest in indiana jones. So they didn't sit down and discuss their ideas thay just let other people do it for them. This is how elements like the nuked fridge and swinging monkeys came in;) but the whole aliens was all george. I still like the movie but I think Indy 5 would bennefit much more if it was treated like a priority and looked at as an epic movie such as the dark knight. It should be a touch darker and a prequal. I want the last Indy movie to be a tribute to the original trilogy whether it's Indy 5 or 6.(y) (y)

Andrew Wilson

Agent Spalko said:
Yes, why can't Lucas let Indy and Star Wars just end and make something new? He has all the money in the world and he still keeps milking these two franchises to death.

Absolutely. If they had to make a fourth Indy film it's a shame it took them so long (and I appreciate all the arguments about the principal folk being involved in other projects in the intervening years).

I've been trying to catch up with the considerable thread(s) on Indy V speculation. The strong feeling against the 'Mutt' character taking the lead is, I think, testimony to what I might call the 'iconic strength' of the Indy character. If Lucas et al want to make a spin off film/series of films with Mutt as the lead I don't think any would object (mind you, not sure what sort of film it would be: although he is his long-lost son he actually has no real connection with Indy's world). The objection most seem to be articulating is Mutt taking the lead in an 'Indy' film with our hero relegated to a Marcus Brody/Indy's dad kind of sidekick.
Broadly I agree. Why would we want Indy in that sort of role? He would cease to be everything that his character has been about.

Darth Vile

Andrew Wilson said:
Absolutely.
If Lucas et al want to make a spin off film/series of films with Mutt as the lead I don't think any would object (mind you, not sure what sort of film it would be: although he is his long-lost son he actually has no real connection with Indy's world). The objection most seem to be articulating is Mutt taking the lead in an 'Indy' film with our hero relegated to a Marcus Brody/Indy's dad kind of sidekick.
Broadly I agree. Why would we want Indy in that sort of role? He would cease to be everything that his character has been about.

He won't. Indiana Jones will always be the star of an Indiana Jones movie. It's not what the audience wants, I'd posit it that it's not what Lucas/Spielberg want, and I'd imagine Ford would refuse to be a bit player in his own movie. :)

Johnny Nys

Frank Marshall says the "Insider" story is "not accurate". Now, isn't that a weird method of phrasing? Not accurate to me doesn't mean it's complete BS, but that the details are wrong. Or do I fail to interpret it correctly?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's a polite way of saying the story is wrong. Literally it misses the target.

Furthermore, "last performance" should also set off your BS detector. Never in the recent years has anyone important said "last," "final," or "one more" in reference to Indy 4 or 5. I challenge you to reveal evidence to the contrary. Shia and Marshall have each explicitly stated they "never say never."

QBComics

Johnny Nys said:
Frank Marshall says the "Insider" story is "not accurate". Now, isn't that a weird method of phrasing? Not accurate to me doesn't mean it's complete BS, but that the details are wrong. Or do I fail to interpret it correctly?

Maybe he was referring to the 2011 date, possibly? That or he just worded his tweet wrong.

Le Saboteur

They should let...

...Tom Selleck finally done the fedora; he is only 64!

8_10_b_full.jpg