General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Dr.RosenRosen

Indy's brother said:
TWO? I wish this didn't get me excited, I know it's just talk. Great handle, Dr.!

Thanks :) When there are any IJ5 news in german magazines, that wont be found elsewhere, i´ll post them here, even if Tocksic is also on his guard :)

Indy's brother

As I have no interest in really pursuing the Pedo-Indy theory, allow me to bring up something unrelated to it if I may.

I pose this question: If GL & SS are such good buddies with HF, why are they letting HF twist in the wind with nothing real to say about Indy 5? They knew he was going to go on a press junket to promote his new movie. They knew it would be inevitable that he would be questioned about the future of Indy. Why not give him something substantial to say about it since they seem unwilling to do so themselves? It could be hypothesized that if this was done, then his interviews would be further derailed with Indy questions. Alternately, it could also be argued that if he had something of any substance to say, he could just spit it out once and either repeat it in subsequent interviews, or say that he has nothing more to add when re-questioned about it . Instead he's forced to dance around it quite a bit, leaving us fans to interpret his murky comments.

It seems to me that HF has a desire to say more, but his hands are tied. Otherwise he could just choose to diplomatically shut down that line of questioning with "I'm just waiting to hear like everyone else" or something.

I really don't understand the huge secrecy about the progress or possibility of Indy 5.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:
As I have no interest in really pursuing the Pedo-Indy theory, allow me to bring up something unrelated to it if I may.

I pose this question: If GL & SS are such good buddies with HF, why are they letting HF twist in the wind with nothing real to say about Indy 5? They knew he was going to go on a press junket to promote his new movie. They knew it would be inevitable that he would be questioned about the future of Indy. Why not give him something substantial to say about it since they seem unwilling to do so themselves? It could be hypothesized that if this was done, then his interviews would be further derailed with Indy questions. Alternately, it could also be argued that if he had something of any substance to say, he could just spit it out once and either repeat it in subsequent interviews, or say that he has nothing more to add when re-questioned about it . Instead he's forced to dance around it quite a bit, leaving us fans to interpret his murky comments.

It seems to me that HF has a desire to say more, but his hands are tied. Otherwise he could just choose to diplomatically shut down that line of questioning with "I'm just waiting to hear like everyone else" or something.

I really don't understand the huge secrecy about the progress or possibility of Indy 5.

If, and it's a big if, Indy V gets made all this could be simply about the deal with the studios. If Lucas, Speilberg and Ford want to make it why pay them more?

Indy's brother

JuniorJones said:
You have more bargaining power when someone wants your services.

Though I have never directed or produced a major motion picture (or anything, for that matter :p ) I doubt that is a factor. Given the returns on the previous 4 films (not to mention the merchandising goldmine), I think GL and SS are kind of holding all the chips. Any studio in their right fiscal mind would jump on an IJ film. In fact, their choice of studio has most likely already been made...didn't HF and Shia sign for 2 & 3 films this time out, respectively?

It's my understanding that SS has fulfilled his obligation with Paramount, though I'll be honest, I don't really know what that means for an Indy 5. To further complicate this line of reasoning, how may films did they originally contract for Indiana Jones? I used to know, but it now escapes me.

Kevin

Indy's brother said:
I pose this question: If GL & SS are such good buddies with HF, why are they letting HF twist in the wind with nothing real to say about Indy 5? They knew he was going to go on a press junket to promote his new movie. They knew it would be inevitable that he would be questioned about the future of Indy. Why not give him something substantial to say about it since they seem unwilling to do so themselves?

Because there is nothing to say perhaps?

My guess is that they are agreed, on some broad level, as to what the film will be about (i.e. "Mutt will be kidnapped by some bad guy and Indy will have to obtain some unobtainable treasure to get him back"), and HF and SS are now waiting for GL to come up with a maguffin and script.

Kevin said:
HF and SS are now waiting for GL to come up with a maguffin and script.

I'm sure when Ford said they have a "germ" of an idea, it probably was the maguffin/story. I'm sure Lucas is writing the first draft of the script right now, and he is also probably working with some artists in pre-production.

Texas

The folks at LucasFilm sure seem to be doing a good job of not letting any info get out in regards to Indy 5.

I remember before Indy 4 began pre-production that lots of stuff was leaked before the announcement of a script for Crystal Skull.

Lance Quazar

Indyfan4ever said:
I'm sure when Ford said they have a "germ" of an idea, it probably was the maguffin/story. I'm sure Lucas is writing the first draft of the script right now, and he is also probably working with some artists in pre-production.

That's a rather gigantic leap and I cannot imagine that it is true.

By the way, though I am no expert, Lucas has never himself written any drafts for any of the Indy films.

Texas said:
The folks at LucasFilm sure seem to be doing a good job of not letting any info get out in regards to Indy 5.

I remember before Indy 4 began pre-production that lots of stuff was leaked before the announcement of a script for Crystal Skull.

Because there is nothing to leak.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Indy's brother said:
Though I have never directed or produced a major motion picture (or anything, for that matter :p ) I doubt that is a factor. Given the returns on the previous 4 films (not to mention the merchandising goldmine), I think GL and SS are kind of holding all the chips. Any studio in their right fiscal mind would jump on an IJ film. In fact, their choice of studio has most likely already been made...didn't HF and Shia sign for 2 & 3 films this time out, respectively?

It's my understanding that SS has fulfilled his obligation with Paramount, though I'll be honest, I don't really know what that means for an Indy 5. To further complicate this line of reasoning, how may films did they originally contract for Indiana Jones? I used to know, but it now escapes me.

The deal is everything in Hollywood.

Once at the level Lucas, Speilberg, Ford reach it's less about the money and more about the status.

Harrison Ford has stated previously about having a premium on his services
and making the studios pay that value.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:

It's an interesting situation. I think the reason Ford is still willing to pay it lip service is that there is still a genuine interest, from all major players, to make another Indy movie. If not, he'd kill the story dead. So we're left in an intolerable situation where there is enough interest in the movie for Ford to openly talk about the possibility of Indy V, but not enough progress to give us anything more than a "maybe"...

HJJNR

March 5th: Indiana Jones 5 on the way: Harrison Ford

Hollywood superstar Harrison Ford is getting his whip out again, as he is set to hit the big screen as Indiana Jones.

The 67-year-old has revealed that Indiana Jones 5 could be on the cards as he has agreed on an idea with the hit franchise's producers George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, reported BBC online.

Indiana Jones is one of Ford's most iconic roles and the trio are in the early stages of developing a fifth movie in the franchise.

"The process works like this... We come to some basic agreement and then George goes away for a long time and works on it," he explained.

"Then Steven and I get it in some form, some embryonic form. Then if we like it we start working with George on it and at some point down the line it's ready and we do it," he said about the upcoming project.

Ford returned to the role of the explorer, fondly called 'Indy' by fans, back in 2008, almost twenty years after Last Crusade hit the big screen.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull was the most successful film in the franchise as it took over USD 786 million at the global box office.

The movie saw Karen Allen return as Marion Ravenwood and introduced Transformers star Shia LaBeouf as Mutt Williams, Indy's son.

Story here!

AlivePoet

Indeed. Reminds me of a Korean documentary in which they "confirmed" Indy 5 as happening using a quote that was sitting around for a few months.

If it doesn't happen, I don't really care anymore. I mean, if they announce it officially, you can bet I'll be anticipating it, but until then there's really no justification for excitement.

Montana Smith

So far, nothing has really been announced. Those involved are just keeping the idea alive in the media, without committing to anything definite (other than the Karen Allen quip about a date for filming - which sounds more like leg pulling).

I have a feeling that it'll probably happen, as George likes the character, and he seems to treat the process of making films as a hobby now. He once made a comment about giving all the hard work to Spielberg.

HJJNR

Same old sh17...new day.

Dr.Sartorius said:
Those quotes have been around for a while.

I know we keep getting these unconfirmed quotes and news bulletins dont we. I just saw it and thought I'd post it for that one person (who lives on the moon) who may not have read anything before lol.

All these quotes remind me of me and my wife.
Q) when are you going to clean out the garage?
A) I am ready to do it, and I really enjoyed tidying it the last 4 times but I cant confirm when I'll actually do it.:D

Who knows?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Who's watching the European news beat?
Here's the Google translation. More Indy 6 talk!
"Being humble, there could be Indiana Jones when I was not in the movie. I have two more movies about Indiana. I have nothing against sequels and franchises, I think are interesting because they provide more facts and facets of the characters. I think the relationship with my newly discovered new child can give a lot of play. I know that George Lucas is working on a new story, so if we like Steven and me, will not be long in putting the fly."
And still more.
Another question he could not miss was on Indiana Jones 5. We did not need translation. Ford heard the name in Castilian and then replied, "Why not? George Lucas is working on it and if it is successful and if Steven Spielberg and I can be on it, I'm happy. I am willing to make two more Indiana Jones movies."

Last edited:

Indy's brother

It's a horrible translation, but I get the gist of it. It sounds like fantastic news! I could never get enough Indy on the big screen, but a second trilogy would go a long way towards overlooking KOTCS's shortcomings and the 19 year wait for Indy's return! Thanks for posting this, Moedred!!! :D