General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

foreignerfred

Rocket Surgeon said:
Further proof that Indy is now no more than a marketing tool/PR for other projects...(n)

What scared me about that quote was that Shia said Harrison called HIM to ask if he (Shia) had heard anything about Indy 5!

sigh...oh, man.

Indy's brother said:
How so? It doesn't make me want to see Transformers 3...

Montana Smith said:
Now I see what you were getting at - not only are the celebrities always selling something in interviews, but they're using the big news of the possibility of Indy V to sell what is likely to be lesser projects (lesser as far as Indy fans are concerned, that is).

It gets press, plain and simple.

We're all talking about it and that's the idea. People are reporting it and it's riding the Indy wave.

foreignerfred said:
What scared me about that quote was that Shia said Harrison called HIM to ask if he (Shia) had heard anything about Indy 5! sigh...oh, man.

Put it into context with the rest of what he says and how he says it...it's all a phony fake fraud.

Last edited:

theosu67

Indy's brother said:
Here's a link to the video, starting @ about 6:24.

Wait. Harrison doesnt know anything? What happened to the "Germ of an idea" he heard last year?
And why is he 'working out' in a gym? Did SS or GL call him and tell him to start working out??

We might as well just face reallity. Nothing is happening or will happen.

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
It gets press, plain and simple.

We're all talking about it and that's the idea. People are reporting it and it's riding the Indy wave.

Well, I get that. In the "no press is bad press" kind of way.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Put it into context with the rest of what he says and how he says it...it's all a phony fake fraud.

Well, that's one way to take it. If you put it into the context that he's just repeating what he already said when he was directly asked about it last time, it just means what he said. As long as we're talking context, if it's 100% accurate, then who knows what led up to that conversation in the first place? How often do these two speak to each other? If Ford called him up to talk Indy 5 and they never talk, then it's a really odd conversation to have. If these guys are now tight drinking buddies or something (which doesn't seem likely) and call each other all the time to gab like teenage girls on the phone, then it means absolutely nothing. If they exchange calls because of some unbeknown-to-us movement on the project, why would this be the conversation? Why the hell would Ford call Shia when he could just as easily call Steven, with whom he has a 30 year working relationship? Or Even ask George directly? I have a hard time thinking that GL or SS couldn't take a few minutes out of their day to update Ford. I think that most likely, Shia is not a walking tape-recorder and has really jumbled up the conversation (stammering sod that he is) to keep from saying anything committal.

The fact that Shia brings up Indiana Jones unsolicited, well that lends credence to your theory. Personally I think it was just a ham-handed delivery of their pre-interview (rehearsal).

Whatever intentions there were, it's all pretty meaningless.

Indy's brother said:
Well, that's one way to take it. If you put it into the context that he's just repeating what he already said when he was directly asked about it last time, it just means what he said. As long as we're talking context, if it's 100% accurate, then who knows what led up to that conversation in the first place? How often do these two speak to each other? If Ford called him up to talk Indy 5 and they never talk, then it's a really odd conversation to have. If these guys are now tight drinking buddies or something (which doesn't seem likely) and call each other all the time to gab like teenage girls on the phone, then it means absolutely nothing. If they exchange calls because of some unbeknown-to-us movement on the project, why would this be the conversation? Why the hell would Ford call Shia when he could just as easily call Steven, with whom he has a 30 year working relationship? Or Even ask George directly? I have a hard time thinking that GL or SS couldn't take a few minutes out of their day to update Ford. I think that most likely, Shia is not a walking tape-recorder and has really jumbled up the conversation (stammering sod that he is) to keep from saying anything committal.

The fact that Shia brings up Indiana Jones unsolicited, well that lends credence to your theory. Personally I think it was just a ham-handed delivery of their pre-interview (rehearsal).

Whatever intentions there were, it's all pretty meaningless.

I'm not proposing a vast left wing conspiracy...:)

I believe it's a simple as this:

Shia: People keep asking/hounding me about Indy V
Spielberg: I said its a reason Skull got made...
Shia: What should I say?
Spielberg: Just tell them its in the works
Shia: You're ok with that?
Spielberg: We are THINKING about it right?
Shia: ...and talking about it
Spielberg: If it gets them off your back go for it, and if it gets your movie more press...even better!
Shia: Cool.

No need to over analyze this stuff. I'm sure their conversations are remarkably casual.

With regards to the context of the interview...just watch how he dances around touchy subjects, his smirks, scoffs and how he says, that's one way to put it.

Indiana Jones has become a marketing tool for non Indy projects. Not the cake, but the icing...

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I would clarify the intial statement. It would be tough to argue that either Lucas or Spielberg had 'lost their touch in film making'. The problem isn't that, but rather they've lost touch with what made the original Indy trilogy much more enjoyable movies (speakling personally, of course). Lucas has done the same with Star Wars. KOTCS, like those Prequels, has lost something. Lucas' attitude to both universes is different now, and no longer in line with where I wanted them to be.

I think Lucas tried to over intellectualise the Star Wars prequels, which led to the movies losing a sense of the genuine 'fun' that the originals had... and by default, the prequels were less accessible to older audiences. However, I'd personally prefer to see some sense of film making progression, and risk the movies not working as well, rather than directors/producers just trotting out the same thing, using the same template.

Ultimately, I thought the prequels were a lot bolder and much more cinematically progressive than KOTCS was (which tried too hard to be like the original Indy movies)... and I think that's due to Lucas having overall control over Star Wars. So whilst I'd agree that the prequels don't work half as well as the originals, I still think they are very well crafted and intelligent (in the main) sci-fi/fantasy movies.

INCUBUSRATM

Darth Vile said:
Your free to express an opinion... but what a pile of utter tosh (if you don't mind me saying). Lucas and Spielberg are directly responsible for a plethora of movies within most people's top 10 (certainly on these boards). It doesn't matter to me if Lucas never made a movie again... he gave us Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and all the countless movies/techniques they spawned. Following your myopic view, it would be like looking at John Lennon and going "ha - Yellow Submarine" or such like. Lucas'/Spielberg's legacy is assured... regardless of what other movies they may make in the future.

Yep, I am free to express MY opinion. You may feel it's "a pile of utter tosh," but that's your right to feel that way. Anyway, Montana Smith pretty much said what I wanted to say. TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, Lucas/Spielberg have lost touch with what made the originals so great. I narrowed it down to Lucas, because I feel he's more to blame in all of this. And my opinion is even further backed up by if you look at the new Star Wars trilogy. Spielberg's new movies are fine and dandy, I enjoy them. But he could have (and should have) stepped in on this madness and said "Wait, George, what the hell are we doing here?" I think he kinda regrets going along with it now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE7fzr6lQ-s

So please tell me, which newer films by Lucas are as great as his old films (i.e. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.)? Their legacies aren't totally shot by Indy 4, but it can potentially tarnish it (especially Lucas', as he hasn't really made anything else recently that has been as good as his older work). Because now when people think of Indiana Jones, instead of saying, "Man, that was a epic trilogy!" they'll say "Man, that was a epic trilogy... except for when they had to make that fourth one that had the aliens in it."

INDIANA JONES AND THE SAUCERMEN... I rest my case.

Darth Vile

INCUBUSRATM said:
Yep, I am free to express MY opinion. You may feel it's "a pile of utter tosh," but that's your right to feel that way. Anyway, Montana Smith pretty much said what I wanted to say. TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, Lucas/Spielberg have lost touch with what made the originals so great. I narrowed it down to Lucas, because I feel he's more to blame in all of this. And my opinion is even further backed up by if you look at the new Star Wars trilogy. Spielberg's new movies are fine and dandy, I enjoy them. But he could have (and should have) stepped in on this madness and said "Wait, George, what the hell are we doing here?" I think he kinda regrets going along with it now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE7fzr6lQ-s

So please tell me, which newer films by Lucas are as great as his old films (i.e. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.)? Their legacies aren't totally shot by Indy 4, but it can potentially tarnish it (especially Lucas', as he hasn't really made anything else recently that has been as good as his older work). Because now when people think of Indiana Jones, instead of saying, "Man, that was a epic trilogy!" they'll say "Man, that was a epic trilogy... except for when they had to make that fourth one that had the aliens in it."

INDIANA JONES AND THE SAUCERMEN... I rest my case.

Maybe I should have put a smilie to indicate a certain level of tongue in cheek/humour in my initial post? however, I think your comments seem a bit too over emotional and simplistic.

Lucas has a much shorter directorial CV than Spielberg, for sure, but Lucas? influence on modern cinema isn?t just from his directorial duties alone; it?s much more about his overall contribution to the way modern movies aremade. To disregard that just because you didn?t like The Phantom Menace or KOTCS seems somewhat naive. Again, whilst always agreeing that the Star Wars prequels were not perfect, and a harder watch than the originals, they still were hugely popular (all 3 of them) and influential movies in their own right. If you have any kids, nieces or nephews, I?m sure you?ll notice that as a direct consequence of the prequels (12 years after TPM), kids are still engaged by the concept and are now getting into the Clone Wars cartoons. It also seems to me that not a week passes without seeing the SW prequels or Clone Wars cartoons on mainstream television. Not bad for a man who has ?lost touch? wouldn?t you agree?

Also, I see no evidence to suggest that any issues KOTCS had (specifically the ones discussed on these boards) were as a direct result of Lucas. Indeed, I?d argue that the use of crystal skulls, aliens and flying saucers were actually some of the least problematic elements of the movie. Overall, any issues I have with KOTCS stem from the directors chair? but that?s for another discussion.

Mungi

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H84ZEYiipp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WillKill4Food

Darth Vile said:
Lucas has a much shorter directorial CV than Spielberg, for sure, but Lucas? influence on modern cinema isn?t just from his directorial duties alone; it?s much more about his overall contribution to the way modern movies aremade.
I think Lucas definitely gets too much credit for his "vision," though. Filmmaking is no doubt an art form, but it is far less personal than painting or writing. Considering the size of the team that Lucas has always had working with him (with THX 1138 and American Graffiti being possible exceptions), I don't think that we'd love the original Star Wars trilogy (or the original Indiana Jones "trilogy") if Lucas exerted the complete (or nearly so) creative control that he has today. I don't want to sound like one of those "he raped my childhood" fan-boys (especially since the second Star Wars trilogy was a part of my childhood) but I think Jar-Jar Binks and the fridge-nuking scene* are pretty good indicators that Lucas is a man with many good ideas and many terrible ones.

*Yes, David Koepp wrote the screenplay, and I'm not entirely sure that it was Lucas' idea. Perhaps Spielberg is also culpable (he did shoot the scene after all), but I had far more issues with Skull's story than its execution.

Darth Vile

WillKill4Food said:
I think Lucas definitely gets too much credit for his "vision," though. Filmmaking is no doubt an art form, but it is far less personal than painting or writing. Considering the size of the team that Lucas has always had working with him (with THX 1138 and American Graffiti being possible exceptions), I don't think that we'd love the original Star Wars trilogy (or the original Indiana Jones "trilogy") if Lucas exerted the complete (or nearly so) creative control that he has today. I don't want to sound like one of those "he raped my childhood" fan-boys (especially since the second Star Wars trilogy was a part of my childhood) but I think Jar-Jar Binks and the fridge-nuking scene* are pretty good indicators that Lucas is a man with many good ideas and many terrible ones.

*Yes, David Koepp wrote the screenplay, and I'm not entirely sure that it was Lucas' idea. Perhaps Spielberg is also culpable (he did shoot the scene after all), but I had far more issues with Skull's story than its execution.

But you have to take into account that the concept of a ?team effort? could be applied to anyone involved in contemporary arts (be it cinema, dance, music etc.)? and even writers and painters have publishers and patrons to channel their work. I have no doubt that Star Wars has many key contributors, but it?s ultimately Lucas? vision? and as such he is as responsible, if not more so, for Star Wars just as much as Orson Welles is for Citizen Kane, James Whale for Frankenstein, Francis Coppola for The Godfather etc. etc.

I firmly believe all highly creative people need focus, guidance and direction? otherwise it?s difficult to control/contain and make sense of any output. It?s no surprise that most great ?artists? produce their best work whilst having to struggle and compromise? be it Mozart, Da Vinci or The Beatles. Lucas is no exception? but just because he has fewer inhibitors now than he did before (i.e. people telling him what to do), it doesn?t automatically negate any innate talent he may have? it just means that his work is less filtered, less open to influence and probably less populalist as a result.

Dr.Jonesy said:
So you're making an excuse for their reason to give a standing ovation? You're grasping at straws.

We point out data or an event, and you give reasons as to why they aren't sincere, which isn't showing us any data back but it's just you trying to cheapen it. Sorry, that doesn't work! :hat:

"Indiana Jones received louder applause going in than he did coming out".
"Judging by the reception at Cannes, the fourth Indiana Jones adventure will not be remembered as the best in the series".
"Fans at the early afternoon showing [...] cheered and clapped wildly at an announcement that the screening was about to start. [...] The applause at the end was more subdued".
"Some industry observers wondered whether the fact that all the film’s main actors – Ford, Cate Blanchett, John Hurt, Ray Winstone and Jim Broadbent - as well as director Steven Spielberg and and co-writer George Lucas were flying to Cannes was a sign that the film needs all the support it can get".
"[The audience was]... cheering as the curtain went up and singing along to the famous theme tune. By the end, they could muster only polite applause. The feeling among many Cannes critics is that this fourth outing has failed to recapture the old Indiana magic".

No, man, I'm not grasping at straws at all, sorry. It's just that I read while you don't.
Above, I posted some quotes from random articles I found now by searching on Google. The reaction at Cannes was not shining gold as you pretend it to have been. Face it. Type the words "indiana" "jones" "cannes" on the internet and see for yourself.

Obviously, a good number of the news headlines were centering more on the overall sense of excitement and trepidation, 'cause headlines are always written with the intent to catch a readers' attention.
But even in those articles that most tried to emphasize the alleged positive audience reaction, you will not find any reports of complete and indiscussed enthusiasm about the film. Because there was no enthusiasm about it at all. Only a lukewarm and tepid acceptance.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you wrote I tend to think you are assuming that a standing ovation means overtly acclaim for something. In that case, well, let me open your eyes, 'cause world doesn't work that way. At Cannes, fact is that pretty much EVERY film receives a standing ovation, even just as a sign of respect for the actors and moviemakers involved.
With this premise, good movies are usually applauded for ten, twelve, fifteen minutes or more. Kingdom was applauded for merely 3 minutes. At the time it premiered, I also found some news claiming that the film was even booed by some at the festival. And that is something that rarely happens.

Dr.Jonesy said:
You're right. People buying the film after they've seen it in the theater does not prove anything. I'll even reckon that most Batman fans who bought "The Dark Knight" were just buying something related to the franchise no matter what. And who knows how false that data is with all the sales of people buying more than one copy??

C'mon, man... :D "aspects one should investigate"??? This is DVD sales...not a statistic on teen drug use. The only reason you think it should be investigated is because it does not blatantly come out in your favor.

Again, I'm not exactly an expert in the home video sales field, because I sincerely don't give a #### about that. But by doing a quick search on Google, I found out that Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull came 9th overall in the DVD film sales of 2008. This, in spite of the fact that it was the second highest box office hit of the year.

During 2008, Kingdom on DVD was doubled by The Dark Knight, that came out in the same format only some days before the beginning of 2009. Just a couple weeks were sufficient to DOUBLE the sales of the second best box office hit of the year, that came out two months before.
The Iron Man film, that scored eight in the box office records list of the year and came out on DVD only some days before Kingdom, sold over 3 millions of copies more in the exact same time span.
Another interesting fact is that Kingdom was surpassed by National Treasure, a film that could be seen as its direct competitor, because it belongs to the very same genre, archeological action/adventure for family.
National Treasure had roughly half the box office gross of Kingdom, and was by far a much less important and prestigious film, yet it sold more.

Regarding the fact that the data could have been distorted by collectors who bought multiple copies, don't worry, I perfectly know that the percentage is unlikely to be high. But now that I had the curiosity to take a look at the official data, mind if I try to make an estimate? Follow the steps with me.

I noticed that Raiders, Last Crusade and Temple Of Doom, all sold around a million copies during 2008 (one fifth of the total sales of Kingdom). Films that were already available on DVD since 2003. Films that are very likely to have been owned ALREADY by the vast majority of casual fans, in 2008. Well, you surely concur that a fifth of the sales of their brand new and over hyped sequel is just one hell of a lot. So, now, if I said that at least around one million of the copies sold by Kingdom were the result of die hard fans and collectors who just buy anything related to the franchise, and possibly multiple copies of it, to me it wouldn't seem unrealistic at all. And this would mean for Kingdom to drop even out of the top ten, after having been an enormous box office success at the time of its release.
Not exactly an impressive performance if that was the case, uh?

Long story short, if you just look at numbers and make your assumptions without analyzing the contexts, that is your problem, not mine.

Damn, this should be by far the longest post I've ever written... ever...

Last edited:

a.kron28

To change course of this current conversation... I am envisioning Indy 5 would take place in either 1959 or 1960. What would be the most logical choice per villain? Considering the United States, in 1959 is well started in on the Cold War, the most logical choice would, again, be the Russians.

I'm merely curious, just in a couple of words, maybe a sentence in length, of your ideal villain for Indy 5, and why?

(i.e. Cuba - Why? The Cuban Revolution and the beginning of the Castro era).

Thanks! :)

a.kron28

Also, one more thought here, what would you think of a period of Indy 5 (maybe, fifteen to twenty minutes) involving some sort of CGI with Harrison Ford? CGI in the sense of Jeff Bridges in TRON: Legacy, to create his character to look identical to his physical features, and facial features from twenty years past. And, also if you've seen the previews for Captain America with Chris Evans, they are using this technique in a similar sense, by showcasing Evans with a extraordinarily slim figure compared to his actual size.

Is that a road Indiana Jones could go down in Indy 5, or is that too cheap for this franchise? This would/could give us the chance to see Indy completing a mission in the early 1950's or mid-1940's. Just at thought.

Thanks!

Indy's brother

The Stranger said:
At Cannes, fact is that pretty much EVERY film receives a standing ovation, even just as a sign of respect for the actors and moviemakers involved.

Dude. I witnessed a standing ovation at every screening (post #33) I went to. And they weren't obliged to do so. They were industry outsiders like me. At a regular theater. With no one of any importance to hear it. Seriously, the Cannes crowd speaks only for the Cannes crowd, and nothing more. You want us to believe that a movie tanked even though it made a ton of moolah at the box office, and on dvd, and on cable....

Hey if you don't like it, that's fine. And there's valid reasons for you to dislike it. I just don't understand the need for detractors such as yourself to convince the world that it was universally hated when it wasn't.

I have problems with KOTCS, but I don't have to redefine the word "success" to back up my arguments for and against it. Just say your piece and move on.

Crap.

Did I just allow myself to get drawn into this tired argument?

Oh, and to stay on topic, Indy 5 needs to happen.

Last edited:

Mungi

Indy's brother said:
Oh, and to stay on topic, Indy 5 needs to happen.

I really wonder what the current status is. Lucas can't be looking for the McGuffin anymore, after three years. I just don't believe that. I can understand that it's hard to figure out a good story, but after three years of searching they must have something in their hands, don't they?

Maybe we just have to wait until Spielberg is giving interviews for his next two movies in a few months...

INCUBUSRATM

Something I just thought of... I think for Indy 5 to be successful, if they make it, it will need to be more simplified. I felt that KOTCS was too complex (having the aliens being "interdimensional beings" and all that was involved with that). Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Ark. Temple of Doom? The Sankara Stones. Last Crusade? The Grail. It was much more simple in the original trilogy. Having aliens in it made it seem much more "out there," and it just didn't work for most people. I believe if they return to their roots of what made the original trilogy so successful (in terms of criticism, not gross figures), then Indy 5 will be very successful.

Oh, and no Mutt swinging from vines or Indy being sent so far into the air in a fridge from a nuclear blast or any silly crap like that, of course. ;)

Darth Vile

INCUBUSRATM said:
Something I just thought of... I think for Indy 5 to be successful, if they make it, it will need to be more simplified. I felt that KOTCS was too complex (having the aliens being "interdimensional beings" and all that was involved with that). Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Ark. Temple of Doom? The Sankara Stones. Last Crusade? The Grail. It was much more simple in the original trilogy. Having aliens in it made it seem much more "out there," and it just didn't work for most people. I believe if they return to their roots of what made the original trilogy so successful (in terms of criticism, not gross figures), then Indy 5 will be very successful.

Oh, and no Mutt swinging from vines or Indy being sent so far into the air in a fridge from a nuclear blast or any silly crap like that, of course. ;)

Swap God or Shiva for aliens and you've more or less got the same premise across the movies i.e. higher/supreme being (although I think it would have been more powerful if we'd never seen the aliens in KOTCS).

INCUBUSRATM

Darth Vile said:
Swap God or Shiva for aliens and you've more or less got the same premise across the movies i.e. higher/supreme being (although I think it would have been more powerful if we'd never seen the aliens in KOTCS).

Yes, I know. But the other movies just worked so much better than KOTCS. The aliens just didn't fit right... Maybe it was because they were not "of this earth?" God or Shiva we're all familiar with, but aliens we are not. Atleast not in the Indy universe.

Indy's brother said:
You want us to believe that a movie tanked even though it made a ton of moolah at the box office, and on dvd, and on cable....

Hey if you don't like it, that's fine. And there's valid reasons for you to dislike it. I just don't understand the need for detractors such as yourself to convince the world that it was universally hated when it wasn't.

I have problems with KOTCS, but I don't have to redefine the word "success" to back up my arguments for and against it. Just say your piece and move on.

Look, I don't want you to believe anything. And sorry if I'm acting like a pain in the ### and disturbing your being here. Sorry.

The original post that I wrote some days ago was just pointing out the fact that I don't believe we can say the majority of people adored the film. We can't say that, exactly as we can't say that the majority hated it. Nothing else.

But then somebody (not you) wrote a response to my post, and made me pass for a total idiot, and that's something that I sincerely can't stand. Having been on this message board for years now, I can say it is a pretty common behaviour among the unconditioned so-called "lovers". To just bash people who didn't like the film, without any valid reasons, knowing that on this controlled environment the 99% of people who still regularly post are great fans of it, and so are against us. Easy. And I won't accept it.

Sorry again for the digression, now back on topic.