German Soldier (RotLA)...quick question...

DIrishB

Just a quick question about the German Soldier from the first wave:

Is the single pack German Soldier (tan) the exact same figure (mold and paint) as the one from the German Soldier two-pack (one tan, one green)? I haven't been able to compare them in person, so just wondered if anyone who owns those versions could fill me in. Thanks!

kevblee

Well, as far as figures go...it certainly helps with some variation.

Historically, and I could be off...you use what you have in a time of war. The different colors in fabric may have to do with what was available at the time. I do know for fact that with US GI's you see this sort of thing showing up with WWII uniforms all the time. Variations in Paratrooper Jump Outfits. Some were an OD green...some were Khaki. I think some of it is based on the year they were made as well. This is why some M42 field jackets are "green" and some are "khaki tan" colored.;)

Kooshmeister

Actually I've always thought that the soldiers in the tan shirts are just the green-jacketed soldiers without the green jackets on: the guys in green are wearing actual jackets that come down over their legs whereas the guys in tan are jacketless, with a uniform shirt just tucked down into their pants.

I think Dietrich let his men be a little lax in the heat of the Egyptian desert and some of them chose to take off their jackets. You'll note that all of the guys who board the Bantu Wind are wearing green jackets, implying this is in fact the regular, full uniform. Then, on the island, when marching to the Tabernacle to open the Ark, Dietrich's guys took their jackets off again because of the heat (making Toht's insistence upon wearing his leather trenchcoat even funnier).

The Hasbro figure of a tan-uniformed soldier is inaccurate anyway because the tan-uniformed Germans didn't wear jackets; just shirts tucked into their pants.

Last edited:

vf wing

The two-pack in question does contain two distinct headsculpts. Aside from the aforementioned color change on the shirt, the figures are identical in every other way.

I treat the greenshirts as NCOs since i have fewer of them.

Kooshmeister

vf wing said:
Aside from the aforementioned color change on the shirt, the figures are identical in every other way.

There's one other difference. Well, okay, two. Both very minor. The deluxe figures' coat sleeve buttons are unpainted while the single-carded soldier's are painted, and the ammo boxes on the backs of the deluxe soldiers' belts are green instead of brown, as on the single-carded soldier.

I, too, use the green-jacketed soldiers as officers until I can get Vogel. Or until Hasbro sees fit to make Dietrich (which will probably be never despite him being 2009's first confirmed figure originally).

DIrishB

ChromiumBlue37 said:
The single-carded German Soldier is exactly the same as the "green uniformed" German Soldier from the two pack.

Ok, thanks. I thought so. I'd compared pictures online, but just wanted to verify there wasn't some small difference I might not have noticed.

kevblee said:
Well, as far as figures go...it certainly helps with some variation.

Historically, and I could be off...you use what you have in a time of war. The different colors in fabric may have to do with what was available at the time. I do know for fact that with US GI's you see this sort of thing showing up with WWII uniforms all the time. Variations in Paratrooper Jump Outfits. Some were an OD green...some were Khaki. I think some of it is based on the year they were made as well. This is why some M42 field jackets are "green" and some are "khaki tan" colored.;)

Very true, and a good point. However, in the case of the Hasbro figures, I think it was a case of being able to repaint the same mold and thus create two different versions of the same mold (creating molds themselves are the most expensive part of the process). Cheaper production cost, but can be sold as a completely (or almost) different figure. You know that already I'm sure, but figured I'd point it out, just in case, for others. ;)

Kooshmeister said:
There's one other difference. Well, okay, two. Both very minor. The deluxe figures' coat sleeve buttons are unpainted while the single-carded soldier's are painted, and the ammo boxes on the backs of the deluxe soldiers' belts are green instead of brown, as on the single-carded soldier.

Huh...I didn't know that. I only have the two versions from the deluxe two-pack, and wasn't going to bother getting the single carded version. But knowing that the ammo boxes are different (though minorly), I'm motivated to grab one (or maybe two...or three... ;) ). Thanks for pointing that out!

I, too, use the green-jacketed soldiers as officers until I can get Vogel. Or until Hasbro sees fit to make Dietrich (which will probably be never despite him being 2009's first confirmed figure originally).

:(

Besides Toht and the German Mechanic, he's really the only other "must-have" German character for me. Its too bad we'll probably never see him released. Were there ever pictures released, since he had been "confirmed"?

Uki

I would have also liked Gobler with his driving goggles on. I suppose one could whip up an easy custom with some SW goggles (maybe from the new Luke or Han figures) on the dark-haired German...Hmmm...

Oh, and the Tough Sergeant/Truck Nazi would be fun. He'd need a flyaway hat!:p

Stoo

The Golden Idol said:
This is a bit off topic, but why are some German uniforms in ROTLA green and others tan?
It really breaks down to whatever unit they were in but they're such a mish-mash that it's not easy to tell.
What they appear to be is a mix of Afrika Corps with a few, regular Wermacht troops here & there...
The lower ranks are predominantly Afrika Corps (ex. truck chase, Bantu Wind and Ark procession)
but there are some oddities. I intend on continuing the dissection of these guys in Kooshmeister's thread:

The other officer with Gobler

Kooshmeister said:
Actually I've always thought that the soldiers in the tan shirts are just the green-jacketed soldiers without the green jackets on: the guys in green are wearing actual jackets that come down over their legs whereas the guys in tan are jacketless, with a uniform shirt just tucked down into their pants.

I think Dietrich let his men be a little lax in the heat of the Egyptian desert and some of them chose to take off their jackets. You'll note that all of the guys who board the Bantu Wind are wearing green jackets, implying this is in fact the regular, full uniform. Then, on the island, when marching to the Tabernacle to open the Ark, Dietrich's guys took their jackets off again because of the heat
You are right about Dietrich most likely being lax since dressing down for tropical work detail was standard practice
but...the men in the green tunics are not wearing the collared shirt underneath. (Only the officers wore that.)

Although they were probably issued collared, khaki shirts, the men in green/olive jackets are wearing gray/white
T-shirts underneath (Well of the Souls, Bantu Wind & throughout the film) which was normal.

kevblee said:
Historically, and I could be off...you use what you have in a time of war. The different colors in fabric may have to do with what was available at the time. I do know for fact that with US GI's you see this sort of thing showing up with WWII uniforms all the time. Variations in Paratrooper Jump Outfits. Some were an OD green...some were Khaki. I think some of it is based on the year they were made as well. This is why some M42 field jackets are "green" and some are "khaki tan" colored.
Kevblee, you are absolutely correct which is why the public definition of khaki is so largely misunderstood.
Many people I've met believe that khaki is olive drab when, in fact, it's an Arabic word for "sand", thus, beige.
c.1850-1880, British colonial troops would have their uniforms dyed with tea (or even mud) so you can imagine
the variations. By the time of the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902), khaki was standard camouflage and during WW1
the word became any colour between sand-coloured & olive. At that point, it all depended on the manufacturer.

Kooshmeister

Stoo said:
You are right about Dietrich most likely being lax since dressing down for tropical work detail was standard practice
but...the men in the green tunics are not wearing the collared shirt underneath. (Only the officers wore that.)

Although they were probably issued collared, khaki shirts, the men in green/olive jackets are wearing gray/white
T-shirts underneath (Well of the Souls, Bantu Wind & throughout the film) which was normal.

I'll take your word for that, Stoo, as you seem to be the expert. Although you can't fault me for thinking the guys in green might have worn collared shirts under their jackets. On closer inspection you are correct, but still, it was just the first thing that came to my mind. :whip:

I still say the tan-uniformed soldier figure is inaccurate to the movie, because I swear all of the guys in all-tan wore shirts tucked down their pants, not tan jackets. All the ones I've seen, anyway.

vf wing

DIrishB said:
Huh...I didn't know that. I only have the two versions from the deluxe two-pack, and wasn't going to bother getting the single carded version. But knowing that the ammo boxes are different (though minorly), I'm motivated to grab one (or maybe two...or three... ;) ). Thanks for pointing that out!

That'd be an easy and justifiable way to help support the line, in terms of buying multiples!

If nothing else comes of this line, i'm glad it lasted long enough for me to get a decent German army out of it. It also helped point the way to trying some of XD's German troops for variety's sake.

Kooshmeister

DIrishB said:
Besides Toht and the German Mechanic, he's really the only other "must-have" German character for me. Its too bad we'll probably never see him released. Were there ever pictures released, since he had been "confirmed"?

No, sadly, no pics. :(