Grail Diary Questions

Saber79

Hey everyone, I'm pretty much new here and looking for some advice.

I'm looking to make my very own homemade diary, already have the pages and all that...what I want to know, is what is the best paper to use to fill the diary...I was thinking a light parchment or a light-weight vellum..

And also, what paper would be best for the various inserts...obviously tracing paper for the shield rubbing, card stock for the tickets, etc etc...

If any one could help with this, it would be most appreciated and would cut my trial and error time in half

Thanks! ;)

Trennas

I can't help you personally, but I remember a few websites which had a grail diary tutorial on it.. let me see if I can find it!

*one minute later*

here you go:

http://www.indianajones.dk/Webside/Billeder/Indy-side/Grail Diary.htm

http://www.indianajonesprops.com/grail_diary.html

the second link is especially recommended! it has a tutorial, material list, and LOTS of usable references :) I especially like the paper aging tutorial, which works way better than with teabags and a radiator (as I have tried once) :p

Saber79

Awesome! Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it....

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Trennas

no problemo! glad I could help you along :)

do post some pics while you're making it! curious to see how it will turn out :)

Saber79

I definitely will. I'm gonna start the project after Christmas, but wanted to get a head start on getting the supplies I'll need.

This is actually my first attempt to make homemade props, so this should be interesting. I also plan to draw and letter each page by hand..I guess that art degree will finally pay off.

The best thing is, is that I'm gonna be making two diaries at once. One for me, the other for my brother-in-law (who's a huge Indy fan). Hopefully I'll have both of them done by next Christmas... :rolleyes:

Trennas

Well, if you're not in a hurry I guess you can easily take a whole year for this, especially if you're making two at the same time. Filling in the pages by hand would be more time consuming, but ultimately also more satisfying than just printing them..

Saber79

Yeah, I figured it would take a year to do two...being that I normally work 10-12 hour days, as well as rebuilding my house at the same time. Plus being my first time making props, I want to take my time and get it right...

You're definitely right about the hand-drawn pages. I originally was gonna print everything and bind it all together, but in a way would cheapen the look and the experience of making it, so I'm gonna go all out....should be fun and I can't wait to start...just have to get paid first lol. (y)

Trennas

oof, that's a tough schedule you're on! I am currently in my graduation period while having an 8 day hour job on the side, and I already find it almost impossible to find the time to do fun stuff on the side. Just thinking about working 12 hours a day AND rebuilding a house AND making a grail diary AND finding time to well.. sleep, makes my eyes twitch :p

But its a good thing you're not gonna rush things and just take your time to get things right :)

Saber79

Wow, your schedule is busy as well...definitely fun times I guess :rolleyes: lol good luck though with your studies...I wish I were back there sometimes.

Trennas

Thanks! I have quite some mixed feelings about graduating though.. One the one hand I can't wait for it to be over, finally break free from the endless strain of pressure and start doing things for myself.. one the other hand, I am gonna miss it a LOT, because my school is like the coolest school ever :hat:

I'm so glad I'm taking a five month after graduation period just for writing, and not starting to work fulltime immediately; that would just drain the life out of me :p

Saber79

I hear ya...that 5 month break is gonna be awesome for you. Any good plans for it?

I remember when I graduated, my friends and I went to Las Vegas for two weeks...what an extremely fun and decadent time that was...like the saying goes, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!!

Trennas

Yush! Going to LA for 5 months (got my visa two days ago!) to work on my first novel and do lots of fun stuff! Las Vegas will probably be one of those mandatory places to visit :p

Saber79

oh sweet! Sounds awesome. Good luck writing and I hope you enjoy your time in the States...if you get the chance, check out Vegas, its a lot of fun...just stay away from 6-foot women with Adam's Apples....frightening.

Trennas

I was ehr.. already planning on that :p I'm not even sure what we're gonna do in Vegas, but well, I guess its a place you have to visit at least once..

I really hope I can also squeeze in a trip to Mexico to visit some Aztec and Mayan ruins, but that will be hard on my budget I think.. Then again, there are also old Anazasi ruins in New Mexico, so Mexico can wait for another time :p

Goonie

^Heck with Vegas, go to Disneyland and ride the Indy ride!(y) (y)

With regards to the grail...
I was thinking about making one myself. Where's the best place to buy the materials? The only place around here that I can think of is Michael's craft store (http://www.michaels.com). Do they sell leather? (for the cover).

I was also looking through the files on http://www.indianajonesprops.com and realized the "Map of Mountain Road" page for the grail is missing this:

HitlerAutograph.jpg

It ain't authentic until Hitler autographs it. ;)

Saber79

Trennas-

That sounds great too, visit as many of the ruins as you can, whether they be in New Mexico or Mexico...Each location is breathtaking!

Goonie-

Michael's should carry either leather or like a fake leather...if not then try other craft stores, like a Jo-anns, who mostly sell fabrics but could find some leather...I actually have a really old brown leather jacket (not a Wested!!), this jacket doesn't fit me anymore (I was 12 when I got it, I'm now 30) I'm thinking of making the two sets of covers from the back of the jacket...maybe having a more personal touch to my diaries...

I just bought the paper and the inks I'll be needing for the pages. I bought three jars of India ink from Michaels and then I bought 9 reams of white bond paper (50 sheets each ream) with a slight woven feel to it from Staples. This is all I have so far.

Good luck!

Saber79

Cool, thanks for the link...pretty impressive, albeit a tad expansive.

I'm definitely still wanting to do it by hand, just for the sake of making something incredibly challenging and cool.

Thanks though!:hat:

Saber79

I'm happy to say that I've started working on the Diary. I had a few days off after Christmas, so while the wife relaxed and watched movies, I was in my office starting the diary.

I had gotten some gift cards to Michael's and promptly put them to use. I got most of my supplies there and as of today (Monday morning) I had created all of the pages groups (all 18 of them-still blank) and have sewn the bindings on at least seven of them.

I went a little slowly to just make sure I'm getting everything right.

I'll post some pictures as I go.

Johnny Nys

Hey, how's the work going?

I did some work on my own diary over the weekend. I'm no tech wizard, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way: bought a notebook, started writing and copying the drawings, which is a pain really. I mean, the end result usually looks nothing like the original. Sure, you see what it's supposed to be but it's impossible to get the details right. Especially for those painting reproductions.