Grail Knight's Death

Deckard

I noticed something I hadn't before, it looks like in the very last shot of him, for about a second, it seems the ground below him gives way and he sinks a bit. So does he fall to his death? I had always more or less figured he would stay there a little while, maybe a few weeks and die of old age. The chances of a frail old man like him getting the grail off the ledge to keep it are slim to none.

Quickening

Deckard said:
I noticed something I hadn't before, it looks like in the very last shot of him, for about a second, it seems the ground below him gives way and he sinks a bit. So does he fall to his death? I had always more or less figured he would stay there a little while, maybe a few weeks and die of old age. The chances of a frail old man like him getting the grail off the ledge to keep it are slim to none.

Hehe, couldn't help but laugh at the thought of that last sentence.

Ahem.

Hmm I never thought he died. Like you I thought he would just remain there for a while before finally dying of old age.

I had always figured that the entrance collapses and is sealed closed but the Knight is left to his fate inside. With the Grail lost his services were no longer required. Perhaps he lept to his death or fell on his sword or perhaps... perhaps...he's still there, forever immortally entombed.

Deckard

oliverjones18 said:
unless he crosses the seal he can't die

But the seal was destroyed, and the inner temple was still collapsing, the grail could still have fell off the ledge and shattered as well. And I really think the Grail Knight may have dropped, watch the film he sinks down, not like he bended his knees, or lost his footing, it looks more like the ground under him is lowering bcuz the foreground referances stay in place.

indy148

I think he probably died in the quake...

here's something to think about -

what if the knight flipped them off?

:D

The Man

indy148 said:
I think he probably died in the quake...

here's something to think about -

what if the knight flipped them off?

:D

He would have good cause. Look at the mess all those people caused. The poor knight was probably napping, too.

graz

Thinking about it, the old boy did pretty well to get to the mouth of the cave to wave them off. Can you imagine him wobbling about on the invisible bridge across the chasm, or picking his way across the Jehova (Iehova!) blocks?

When you think about it there is something very pythonesque about it. I like to think as soon as they turned to leave a 1 tonne weight dropped on his head in true Monty Python stylee! :cool:

No Ticket

I always assumed that after the entrance was sealed and all the dust had settled (since it really was only the entrance area collapsing)... he just had tons of time on his hands and used it to recover the grail and bring it back to the chamber.

Of course he appeared that he was more than ready to end his "protection service" over the grail when Indy appeared and "vanquished" him. Maybe he figured that the cup, now being lost to the pit below was safe and he didn't need to watch over it. However I doubt that one. Because his dedication was so great he knew that as long as the grail existed there was still a chance for it to fall into the wrong hands.

Still, if he figured it was safe I can see him waiting out his end peacefully with-in the temple.

mutt willams

No Ticket said:
I always assumed that after the entrance was sealed and all the dust had settled (since it really was only the entrance area collapsing)... he just had tons of time on his hands and used it to recover the grail and bring it back to the chamber.

Of course he appeared that he was more than ready to end his "protection service" over the grail when Indy appeared and "vanquished" him. Maybe he figured that the cup, now being lost to the pit below was safe and he didn't need to watch over it. However I doubt that one. Because his dedication was so great he knew that as long as the grail existed there was still a chance for it to fall into the wrong hands.

Still, if he figured it was safe I can see him waiting out his end peacefully with-in the temple.

that makes sense!

Indy_Chic

macca1980 said:
it must have been boring... was there any books in there? 500+ years..waiting.

He probably spent his time polishing all the false grail cups...and maybe do the odd crossword puzzle.:p

michael

I love how the Grail Knight pretty much knew that Indy was the good guy. The way they both look at eachother when Donovan was about to drink out of the wrong cup.

Sam Falco

Well I'd imagine after being alive that long, you kinda get a sense about people. Plus... One look at Indy's badass hat, you know he's the hero of this story. Then some stiff in a uniform carrying a gun enters? You know whos there to rob you and who's trying to help.

nitzsche

One thing's for sure, that water didn't last for 500 years, so my question is how did the Culligan man get through the trials every month?

Sam Falco

Maybe he filtered it through the holy grail every so often.

Also, when your drinking from the cup of Christ, I really dont think the cleanliness of the water is gonna be a problem.