Hap shaping. Tips?

Lord McDonald

Just received my Christy's Adventurer today. Very impressed!

I need to shape it and I'm going for a 'hybrid' look. Hybrid meaning that the pinch is looser than the ROTLA hat but tighter than the TOD/LC Hat. It will probably look like a KOTCS when finished....hopefully. I've put a slight turn into it, but not as much as the ROTLA hat.

What is the best way to shape it? Especially the brim? The brim at the back is either up or down! And i need to know how to shape this accurately.

Any ideas?

I then i need to weather it and muck it up. Fuller's earth?

eazybox

Lord McDonald said:
Just received my Christy's Adventurer today. Very impressed!

I need to shape it and I'm going for a 'hybrid' look. Hybrid meaning that the pinch is looser than the ROTLA hat but tighter than the TOD/LC Hat. It will probably look like a KOTCS when finished....hopefully. I've put a slight turn into it, but not as much as the ROTLA hat.

What is the best way to shape it? Especially the brim? The brim at the back is either up or down! And i need to know how to shape this accurately.

Any ideas?

I then i need to weather it and muck it up. Fuller's earth?

The crown of this hat is very easy to shape. Just press down on the center of the top to form the center dent. Some people like to use a "karate chop" motion, but you can also do it more slowly and carefully if you prefer. I like the front to be about 4 3/4 inches high, and the back to be 4 inches high.

Then you simply pinch in a loose front crease until it looks right to you. If the felt is uncooperative, a little distilled water sprayed on the trouble spots will solve the problem, then allow to dry thoroughly. I would not recommend using steam to shape this hat.

There are really no hard and fast rules for shaping. You just have to eyeball it and keep trying until you achieve the look you want. Use photos of your favorite film hat from various angles as a guide.

To get the back of the brim a bit lower, you could dampen it with a little distilled water and then weigh it down with books until dry, or you could iron the brim (place an old T-shirt or other cloth between the hat and the iron to protect the felt, and don't use steam or you could shrink the crown).

Because the brim of this hat is quite wide, it may look better left as it is, but that's a matter of personal taste. The film hats all have at least a slight lift in the back of the brim; in a few scenes from Raiders, though, it looks almost flat.

To give the hat character, some people roll it up into a ball and knead it, sit on it, or kick it around until it has that "battered" look. I've never felt the need to go that far myself, nor have I ever used Fuller's Earth, but if applied properly, it can certainly provide an impressive-looking finishing touch for a costume hat.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Jack