Harrison Ford is a ...

littledavid2

...a**hole?
On the last issue of italian most important movie magazine "Ciak" every italian critic is asked about his first time with Raiders. Most of the critics say very good things about the film but some of them who interviewed Harrison Ford when he presented the film at Venice Film Festival report being impressed by the actor being very "unpleasant". One of them rememebrs him as a "completely arrogant a**hole". What do you think? I always thought he was very easy-going...the only complaint about him was from Josh Hartnett who said he was his hero BEFORE he met him on the set of Hollywood Homicide...

oki9Sedo

littledavid2 said:
...a**hole?
On the last issue of italian most important movie magazine "Ciak" every italian critic is asked about his first time with Raiders. Most of the critics say very good things about the film but some of them who interviewed Harrison Ford when he presented the film at Venice Film Festival report being impressed by the actor being very "unpleasant". One of them rememebrs him as a "completely arrogant a**hole". What do you think? I always thought he was very easy-going...the only complaint about him was from Josh Hartnett who said he was his hero BEFORE he met him on the set of Hollywood Homicide...

He has a reputation for being grumpy. This is often brought up in interviews, and he says that he's aware of this reputation but denies that its true.

Its his own fault, in fairness. He looks bored in alot of his interviews, often sighs when asked a difficult question that requires some thought, and often makes smartass comments in reply to stupid questions ("Yes, there are snakes in the new film, and no I am not scared of them in real life"). Sometimes those comments are made in good humour, but other times he's trying to be rude and dismissive.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I like it. But I'm also horribly biased.

I tend to believe that there's an informal agreement between press and promoters of products that said promoters will entertain the press. And I think that's BS. If those journalists feel like they're not getting some love or expected bonding moments with the celebs for helping promoting these actors' films they should change their jobs. Or maybe just start preparing for their interviews and ask some thoughtful questions for a change. I'm so tired of reading about journalists describing interview partners as difficult only because they're not giving a 5 minute stand-up monologue like Tom Hanks or are just ...a bit boring. How weird is it to complain about an interviewer being boring? I don't get it.

People don't always have to be nice in my opinion. I find decency to be very important. But that doesn't mean you have to be "nice" all the time.

There are two press conferences up on harrisonfordweb.com, one for Air Force One and one for The Fugitive. And in both he appears to be a quite fairspoken, professional interviewer who tries to serve the press as well as he can. I remember that a journalist at one point asks him about the most difficult scene in the movie. And he, after a long pause, answers that he "would really like to help" (hehehe) but he just can't think of any scene that would have been more difficult than others.

Nurhachi1991

yeah but guys doesnt Indiana Jones have a reputation for being grumpy and making smart ass comments? He does all the time so Harrison is always in character lol

torao said:
People don't always have to be nice in my opinion. I find decency to be very important. But that doesn't mean you have to be "nice" all the time.

I always thought that they were the same thing? I think it's important to be nice at all times otherwise one could stray into unpleasant territory.:D

Perhaps Harrison enjoyed his role as a nasty lunatic in 'What Lies Beneath' more than he's letting on?...

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

Major West said:
His dry sense of humour is often lost on many. Especially the majority of airheads that interview him.

Sometimes its a dry, sardonic sense of humour, other times he genuinely would rather be somewhere else and makes little effort to conceal that.

Perhilion

Well you can't blame him can you? Always being hounded after and interviewed, then getting asked the same damn questions over and over again. I'd be the exact same way. I'd rather have him act the way he does than put on a big cheesy smile and act all chummy with the reporter while secretly wanting to strangle them. It just shows how much he loves the Indy character to do another movie, even though he knows he'll have to go through all the media crap again.

oki9Sedo

Perhilion said:
Well you can't blame him can you? Always being hounded after and interviewed, then getting asked the same damn questions over and over again.

It may be his fifthy millionth time hearing the question, but its the reporter's first time asking it.

sarah navarro

Perhilion said:
Well you can't blame him can you? Always being hounded after and interviewed, then getting asked the same damn questions over and over again. I'd be the exact same way. I'd rather have him act the way he does than put on a big cheesy smile and act all chummy with the reporter while secretly wanting to strangle them. It just shows how much he loves the Indy character to do another movie, even though he knows he'll have to go through all the media crap again.
True but it was his choice to become an actor and he probably knew the consequences...or maube not.But anyhow its his decision to be a jerk or not,but i still think hes awesome.

I remember BBC presenter Jonathon Ross teasing Ford about his ear-ring a few years back.
Ross: I like the ear-ring, Harrison.
Ford:Thank you.
Ross: Presumably, the eye patch and the parrot will follow?

Ford grunts a half hearted smile and thinks 'Who is this tosspot?'.

snake_surprise

Who cares if he is an *******? I like his work as Indy, Han, Dr. Kimble, Jack Ryan, etc.

I like Led Zeppelin for their music, not for the moral compass that Jimmy Page may not provide in real life.

Gary2880

Allow me to correct your anecdote

I remember BBC presenter Jonathon Ross teasing Ford about his ear-ring a few years back.
Ross: I like the ear-ring, Harrison.
Ross: Presumably, the eye patch and the parrot will follow?

Ross: I like the ear-wing, Hawison.
Ross: Pwesumably, the eye patch and the pawot will follow?

:p

But ye. I'm sure that Jonathan Ross knows as well as any other comentator Fords mood as it were. Don't like him much personally

Lao Che Pun

snake_surprise said:
Who cares if he is an *******? I like his work as Indy, Han, Dr. Kimble, Jack Ryan, etc.

I like Led Zeppelin for their music, not for the moral compass that Jimmy Page may not provide in real life.

Ditto, my friend. Ditto.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Gary2880 said:
Allow me to correct your anecdote

Ross: I like the ear-wing, Hawison.
Ross: Pwesumably, the eye patch and the pawot will follow?

:p

But ye. I'm sure that Jonathan Ross knows as well as any other comentator Fords mood as it were. Don't like him much personally

Who don't you like? Ford or Ross?:D I was going to apply the impediment angle but didn't bother as most people at the Raven don't know who he is.

JerryKing

Well, it sounds as if Harrison Ford may suffer from what I call low tolerance of dullards. This I know very well, and it often proves cumbersome, as they make up the majority of the world - but one can learn to manage it and learn to painlessly endure most dullards that one will meet (as Harrison Ford seems to).

Or, when one is secure enough, one can of course go the opposite way and happily push it further rather than conceal it (vide: Harlan Ellison and his famed reactions :))...
onion_he.gif

Last edited:

fatima

I don't think there is nothing else to add after reading this:

torao said:
I like it. But I'm also horribly biased.

I tend to believe that there's an informal agreement between press and promoters of products that said promoters will entertain the press. And I think that's BS. If those journalists feel like they're not getting some love or expected bonding moments with the celebs for helping promoting these actors' films they should change their jobs. Or maybe just start preparing for their interviews and ask some thoughtful questions for a change. I'm so tired of reading about journalists describing interview partners as difficult only because they're not giving a 5 minute stand-up monologue like Tom Hanks or are just ...a bit boring. How weird is it to complain about an interviewer being boring? I don't get it.

There are two press conferences up on harrisonfordweb.com, one for Air Force One and one for The Fugitive. And in both he appears to be a quite fairspoken, professional interviewer who tries to serve the press as well as he can. I remember that a journalist at one point asks him about the most difficult scene in the movie. And he, after a long pause, answers that he "would really like to help" (hehehe) but he just can't think of any scene that would have been more difficult than others.

To sum up, there are journalists who are a pain in the a** to deal with! journalists that want to celebraties to pay more attention to them than journalists pay more attention to celebraties...and I bet Harrison hates to have a histerical journalist calling for have attention!

Gary2880

Originally Posted by snake_surprise

Ditto, my friend. Ditto.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I de-ditto it. I would like to think that an actor is a nice person in real life if i like them as an actor. I like Johnny Depp and from what im to understand he is an all round swell guy in real life also. I also like Harrison and Russle Crowe but in real life each are a bit of a twat. Which is a shame isn't it? I think so anyway. It doesn't stop me from liking their performaces as much but still. You like to think the people you like are nice. Sadly not.

As for the whole having to sit through boring interviews and deal with the press i'm afraid doesn't wash with me, they knew what they were getting in to and if they don't like it they shouldn't have done it. Can't be done with celebritys that will use the meida for their own needs to promote this and that to get themselves money when it suits them then cry fowl when it comes back to bite them in the buttocks....