Harrison should retire?

Kingsley

102820081315399572.jpg

"Perhapshhh"

Agent Z

Whether you agree with the story choices of Kingdom or not, there's no denying that Harrison still brought his A-game. Honestly, his great performance made me remember and lament how few true modern day action stars we really have left. :)

Deckard

Agent Z said:
Whether you agree with the story choices of Kingdom or not, there's no denying that Harrison still brought his A-game. Honestly, his great performance made me remember and lament how few true modern day action stars we really have left. :)

Oh yes there is. Plenty of lines were horrible and fell flat. Overall he seemed tired and bored, and that fight against Dovchenko was so bad it's wrong. It wasn't all his fault, but making the choice to do it to begin with was.

We've come a long way from the kid that got dragged behind a truck in the desert. The man is whipped and wears an earring now. Wtf Han Solo?

Nurhachi1991

I want my family back!

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="454.05" height="382.85" wmode="transparent" src="http://www.flicklife.com/flvideo/flvplayerb.swf?file=http://www.flicklife.com/flvideo/8527.flv&vid=30470e507965881025ab&e=y"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flicklife.com/flvideo/flvplayerb.swf?file=http://www.flicklife.com/flvideo/8527.flv&vid=30470e507965881025ab&e=y"> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /></embed>

The Man

Deckard said:
Oh yes there is. Plenty of lines were horrible and fell flat. Overall he seemed tired and bored, and that fight against Dovchenko was so bad it's wrong. It wasn't all his fault, but making the choice to do it to begin with was.

We've come a long way from the kid that got dragged behind a truck in the desert. The man is whipped and wears an earring now. Wtf Han Solo?

Whether he should retire is debatable, but he should never again accept another Indy gig. His legacy as an actor rests upon Indiana Jones - please don't f*ck it up anymore...

deckard24

That's actually a really good list, and I'm sure there are a lot more names that could be added to it! Should Ford retire...I'll make my decision after seeing Crossing Over. The guy can really put in a great performance, but unfortunately he's picked some real duds over the years. I know in the past he balked against his agent on several occasions, and chose films like The Mosquito Coast which really highlighted his abilities. So as of right now it looks like now it's time to either fire his current one, or go Solo! Firewall, Hollywood Homicide, and K-19: The Widowmaker are all the evidence we need that it's time!

What would be really great is to get Ford working with some great directors like Michael Mann, Clint Eastwood, David Mamet, the Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese, Darren Aranofsky, or Pete Weir! I think if he upped the caliber of his directors, Spielberg withstanding, it would make a huge difference in the caliber of his performances!

Forbidden Eye

That's a truly pathetic list. Harrison Ford(and Sean Connery) don't at all fit with the other celebrities as Ford and Connery are film legends. The others were never talented to begin with. They were overrated hacks with an extremely overrated 5 minutes of fame or people who are only known for their mediocrity.

And I agree I don't see how anyone working with any sense of logic can't admit Ford's performance in KOTCS was great. No matter what you think of the movie, you have to admit his performance was terrific, as he clearly brought his enthusiasm and attention to this beloved character, something he hasn't actually done since The Fugitive. In fact I'd go as far and say this it's easily one of his highlight performances of his career. He truly put the people constant "He's too old" whiners to shame and proved he still has it while still being able to put new range into the character.. An obviously comeback, and imo, not unlike Marlon Brando's comeback in the Godfather. I just hope he's able to stay at the top for a while and avoid projects like Hollywood Homicide.

deckard24 said:
What would be really great is to get Ford working with some great directors like Michael Mann, Clint Eastwood, David Mamet, the Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Martin Scorsese, Darren Aranofsky, or Pete Weir! I think if he upped the caliber of his directors, Spielberg withstanding, it would make a huge difference in the caliber of his performances!

That's actually a great idea, especially Martin Scorsese and The Coen Brothers. Both have worked recently with Jack Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones who are roughly in the same age category as Ford. It's impossible to believe they wouldn't be able to use an actor like Ford. It'd be great chance to expand his resume and work with the finest in the film industry other than Lucas and Spielberg(and Scott and Weir).

Last edited:

deckard24

Forbidden Eye said:
That's a truly pathetic list. Harrison Ford(and Sean Connery) don't at all fit with the other celebrities as Ford and Connery are film legends. The others were never talented to begin with. They were overrated hacks with an extremely overrated 5 minutes of fame or people who are only known for their mediocrity.

And I agree I don't see how anyone working with any sense of logic can't admit Ford's performance in KOTCS was great. No matter what you think of the movie, you have to admit his performance was terrific, as he clearly brought his enthusiasm and attention to this beloved character, something he hasn't actually done since The Fugitive. In fact I'd go as far and say this it's easily one of his highlight performances of his career. He truly put the people constant "He's too old" whiners to shame and proved he still has it while still being able to put new range into the character.. An obviously comeback, and imo, not unlike Marlon Brando's comeback in the Godfather. I just hope he's able to stay at the top for a while and avoid projects like Hollywood Homicide.

That's actually a great idea, especially Martin Scorsese and The Coen Brothers. Both have worked recently with Jack Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones who are roughly in the same age category as Ford. It's impossible to believe they wouldn't be able to use an actor like Ford. It'd be great chance to expand his resume and work with the finest in the film industry other than Lucas and Spielberg(and Scott and Weir).
Good point regarding Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones!:hat: They both, especially Tommy Lee Jones, have gotten great recognition due to the high caliber projects they've chosen as of late. If only Ford could take on some roles like The Departed, In the Valley of Elah, or No Country for Old Men, he might finally get that little gold statue that he was robbed of back in 1985!

tambourineman

Harrison's biggest asset was his roguish charisma, which made roles like Han Solo and Indiana Jones so iconic. Sadly, for the latter part of his career he seems to have picked roles that are just unsuited for that type of actor, dull thrillers and forgettable comedies and cop movies. KotCS proved that Ford is still capable of everything that made him a star in the first place, and with the right roles he still has so much potential.
Why he has chosen these B grade movies with nobody directors is a mystery to me. Surely any of the great directors mentioned in this thread (Scorcese, Coen's etc) would jump at the chance to cast him?

No Ticket

As much as I think KOTCS was kinda crappy... I still enjoyed seeing Harrison play Indiana...

And I could enjoy it again. I don't think he should retire just yet. Give the guy a break, he put all his heart into this performance to give you an older Indy that could still pull off some amazing stuff. You knew he'd be older going in. I agree it's not quite the same Indy, but that's the writer's fault trying to make him become his dad.

tambourineman

No Ticket said:
but that's the writer's fault trying to make him become his dad.

Thats one of the things I love most about his performance in Skull. He is an older man, they cant just write him as being exactly the same as he was when he was a young man. So what better way to address this then have him more like his father? He was like three quarters Indy and one quarter Henry Snr in the film, and I loved that.