Hellboy II: The Golden Army

agentsands77

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY is pretty fantastic, with that rarest of movie qualities: magic. Definitely the best of 2008 so far.

Snakes

mutt willams said:
Whats up with his giant gun?

If I had his job, I'd want a giant gun.

Just saw the movie, and really liked it. Not nearly as good as the first film, but still very good. I felt it could have been a bit slower paced and taken itself a little more seriously, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely some of the best practical effects/makeup/animatronics I've ever seen.

agentsands77

"Not nearly as good as the first film"

Really? I thought it was superior to the first by miles. The first film had none of the magic or awe that GOLDEN ARMY did (just consider that scene where the elemental dies, turning that section of the city into greenery - absolutely fantastic). Practically everything about GOLDEN ARMY was richer than the first, from story, to character development, to visual style.

mutt willams

Snakes said:
If I had his job, I'd want a giant gun.

Just saw the movie, and really liked it. Not nearly as good as the first film, but still very good. I felt it could have been a bit slower paced and taken itself a little more seriously, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely some of the best practical effects/makeup/animatronics I've ever seen.

what exactly is his job?

RocketSledFight

I thought it was great. A solid 8.5/10, and I highly recommend it just for the sake of seeing Guillermo Del Toro's creatures - most of which are guys in suits, a rarety these days.

My main criticism is the title - the film is not centered around the golden army.

No Ticket

Haven't seen it yet. For any who dismiss this movie as being dumb... well, it probably kind of is. The first kind of was... but it was still surprisingly good.

agentsands77

One of the reasons I loved the second more than the first was the abundance of humor. And not cheap humor, but good, character-based, genuinely funny humor. That's a rare commodity these days.

And it's not like it was all funny... there are scenes that pack more emotional wallop than anything from the first film.

deckard24

I just saw it the other day, and well... chalk up yet another disappointment from the summer blockbuster lineup! The FX were top notch as was the production design, but other then that it was just mehhh! I really wasn't impressed, and I hoped to be from all the positive reviews. Thankfully The Dark Knight debuts in less then an hour! There's still some hope for the summer's films!

I've seen it tonight and... well, the first one was FAR better!!
As far as I can remember, the first film was really, really good. This one is pretty much inferior.

Interestingly enough, one of the things that were generally praised the most by the audience is also one of the things that convinced me the least, instead: special effects.
In this film there's a large use of puppets and high-tech animatronix, but... nah, they looked completely fake.
I think movements are the number 1 problem. The non-CGI monsters looked visually terrific, but their movements were far too un-natural. Smoothness is what mainly lacked. But technology will improve. We will see the perfect animatronics for sure, it's only a matter of time. ;)

indyclone25

so i guess hellboy 2 flopped

it has only done 65 million dollars --- i thought it would at least make about 150 million --- the incredible hulk beat that bigtime and so did wall-e