How different is your life now, versus when 'Kingdom' released?

I was 13 and in my final weeks of grade 7 when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. I am now 28 and just got back home from seeing Dial of Destiny with my wife.

SpaceBoy

Hey all,

As we are on the eve of the release of Dial of Destiny, and many of us are longtime members - I thought it'd be fun and perhaps a scary to look back on how different ourselves and our lives were the last time we saw a new Indy on the big screen and where we're at, now.

A lot has likely changed. A lot of mileage.

What was life like in 2008, for you?

How hyped were you then?

What's life like these days?

How hyped were you, this time?
I moved recently to my partner and got a new job.

How hyped were you then?
I was very hyped, because it would be my first Indiana Jones at the cinema (born 1982).

Well, I am a widower for four years now, have a new job and even became Deputy Artdirector a year ago. I also started to play the violin and got me a lovely Chartreux (a cat).

Not as much, because KotCS was somewhat underwhelming back than and I had to watch it alone. So it was a mixed bag of expectations and personal stuff going on. However I did not regret to see this in the big screen.

Lord_glavin

Finally going to see Indy 5 tonight. It has been a ride:

Second year of University, first time living on my own back in my home country of New Zealand. Wasn't at a great point in my life, still figuring myself out.
How hyped were you then?
Very excited, dragged all my friends with me opening night at the embassy theatre.
Living in the USA today. Am actually making a living designing and making video games which is insane (even won a few pretty big awards...). Have had lots of heartbreak but now living with a wonderful lady in Boston.
Cautiously optimistic, more because it feels like the last time I will have any sort of care for a blockbuster movie. Excited to see what I think tonight!

Face_Melt

Anyone else sad it’s over?

I was 17 when Crystal Skull came out. It was the summer between my Junior and Senior years of high school. I always knew they planned to make another and I always had that to look forward to.

I’m 32 now, married and I have a 2 year old kid. I’ve spent years waiting for this film and now it’s here. Almost half of my lifetime…

Anyone else happy we got the film but also sad it’s over?

I’ve spent hours now speculating on a future Helena and/or Short Round film or series. Some sort of continuation. I’ve even tricked myself into believing Ford could be involved, if nothing else but the final scene of this hypothetical film giving us a Short Round + Indy reunion. But honestly…it’s like going through a stage of grief/denial it’s over.

How’s everyone else going out there?

Not sure this was the best place to post this but didn’t want to start a new thread over it (unless the mods approve).

It’s like a slight Post - Dial of Destiny depression so to speak lol.

Great Snakes!

Anyone else sad it’s over?

I was 17 when Crystal Skull came out. It was the summer between my Junior and Senior years of high school. I always knew they planned to make another and I always had that to look forward to.

I’m 32 now, married and I have a 2 year old kid. I’ve spent years waiting for this film and now it’s here. Almost half of my lifetime…

Anyone else happy we got the film but also sad it’s over?

I’ve spent hours now speculating on a future Helena and/or Short Round film or series. Some sort of continuation. I’ve even tricked myself into believing Ford could be involved, if nothing else but the final scene of this hypothetical film giving us a Short Round + Indy reunion. But honestly…it’s like going through a stage of grief/denial it’s over.

How’s everyone else going out there?

Not sure this was the best place to post this but didn’t want to start a new thread over it (unless the mods approve).

It’s like a slight Post - Dial of Destiny depression so to speak lol.
I'm on a delay from everyone else since I will see Dial of Destiny for the first time on Sunday and another viewing on Tuesday. But I am glad that we did get this movie and it lead to me discovering some great YouTube channels and this forum.

I do hope the series can continue with spin off media and more merchandise. I mean if Back to the Future (Another one of my favourite series) can get regular merchandise without a new movie since 1990 then surely Indy can do the same.

Face_Melt

I'm on a delay from everyone else since I will see Dial of Destiny for the first time on Sunday and another viewing on Tuesday. But I am glad that we did get this movie and it lead to me discovering some great YouTube channels and this forum.

I do hope the series can continue with spin off media and more merchandise. I mean if Back to the Future (Another one of my favourite series) can get regular merchandise without a new movie since 1990 then surely Indy can do the same.
Honestly friend, it’s wishful thinking. The box office results are so poor that I can’t imagine they will greenlight any sort of sequel/spin-off as much as we would love them to. This would kill any franchise.

And I HATE to say that. At this point, based on current projections the movie might make $400 million worldwide. And with a $300 million dollar budget + at least a $100 million dollar marketing campaign plus cinemas keeping their normal 1/3rd of the cut the movie will lose around $120 million at the low end.

I will remain hopeful and optimistic with all of you, but we also need to be a bit realistic here as well.

Great Snakes!

Honestly friend, it’s wishful thinking. The box office results are so poor that I can’t imagine they will greenlight any sort of sequel/spin-off as much as we would love them to. This would kill any franchise.

And I HATE to say that. At this point, based on current projections the movie might make $400 million worldwide. And with a $300 million dollar budget + at least a $100 million dollar marketing campaign plus cinemas keeping their normal 1/3rd of the cut the movie will lose around $120 million at the low end.

I will remain hopeful and optimistic with all of you, but we also need to be a bit realistic here as well.
It just baffles me that I will be able to buy my first official Indiana Jones t-shirt this year because Disney is only releasing merchandise now. Disney makes so much money on merchandise and has had the franchise since 2012, but they have only supported merchandise through the Disney Parks. Disney is willing to make a lot of merchandise off of cult classics like a goofy movie but not a major series like Indy. I am shocked they are not going for fortune and glory. ;)

IndianaBones

It just baffles me that I will be able to buy my first official Indiana Jones t-shirt this year because Disney is only releasing merchandise now. Disney makes so much money on merchandise and has had the franchise since 2012, but they have only supported merchandise through the Disney Parks. Disney is willing to make a lot of merchandise off of cult classics like a goofy movie but not a major series like Indy. I am shocked they are not going for fortune and glory. ;)
A big mistake was to not give the franchise some life while we waited for the movie. We should’ve at least gotten a triple A Indy game or comics or Indy related additions to the parks before the movie

MarshallCollegeDropout

I was single, living in Los Angeles, just about to graduate from college, animation major.
How hyped were you then?
So so hyped. Went to a midnight screening with about 7 or 8 friends. We were all disappointed.
So different. I'm now married, living in the UK with my wife, two step-sons, a 3 year old son and a new baby girl due in October. Full time animation background designer.
Hyped and excited, but hesitant due to how KOTCS went. However, I was really optimistic due to Mangold taking over, and the trailers/leaked tuk tuk scene really got me excited. Went on opening day with my 77 year old mother and 90 year old father who just happened to be visiting from the States. A much much much better first viewing experience than last time!

Girl_From_Mars

💩
How hyped were you then?
As hyped as hyped could be!
💩
As hyped as hyped could be!

In all seriousness, I'm a different person. I've gone through gender reassignment and my brain isn't the same running on estrogen as it was on testosterone. I have very different tastes now. Music sounds different. If there's one thing that has remained from the person I was, it's loving Indiana Jones! 🤠💪