How many games like Emperor's Tomb are there?

nycgamer

I love this type of game, but there doesn't seem to be many like it, other than the Tomb Raider series. I actually think Emperor's Tomb is WAY better than the new Lara Croft game. But it isn't really a shooter, is it? It's more of an action/adventure ~ and yet there just aren't many games out there like it. What other games do other people here play? Do you have more games like the Indy games? What's your collection like?

Randy_Flagg

"Rune" for the PC was surprisingly good. It's a 3rd person action/adventure with a lot of exploring (44 levels!), a lot of melee fights (no shooting), and some relatively simple lever/switch puzzles. It has much better controls than Emperor's Tomb, and it looks great. Best of all, it's available at places like EBX for just $4.99

nycgamer

I don't really think ET is technically a 'shooter', but I list it here among my favorite games, most of which are definitely 'shooters' by nature;

Shooters I have that I feel are exceptional:

XBOX:

007 Nightfire
Brute Force
Conflict: Desert Storm
Dead To Rights
Enter The Matrix
Ghost Recon
Halo
Hitman 2
Indiana Jones: Emperor?s Tomb
Max Payne
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Splinter Cell
Time Splitters 2
Unreal Championship

PS2:

GTA Vice City
GTA3
Medal of Honor Frontline
Metal Gear Solid 2
SOCOM Navy Seals
The Getaway
Time Splitters
Unreal Tournament

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil Zero

PC:

Mafia
RTCW Tides of War
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault / Spearhead
Battlefield 1942 / Road To Rome
Soldier of Fortune 2
Vietcong
Rainbow Six 3
No One Lives Forever 2
Iron Storm
Tomb Raider 3

Shooters I feel will most likely continue the standard of excellence:

Kill Switch
Halo 2
Deus Ex 2
Half Life 2
S.W.A.T. Global Strike Team
Metal Gear Solid 3
Max Payne 2
DOOM 3
Painkiller
Far Cry
True Crime
Hitman 3

I'd like to see your lists too.

Kumba

nycgamer said:
PS2:

GTA Vice City
GTA3
Medal of Honor Frontline
Metal Gear Solid 2
SOCOM Navy Seals
The Getaway
Time Splitters
Unreal Tournament

I'd like to see your lists too. [/B]

You must be outta yo mind! "The Getaway"'s controls were HORRIBLE! It COMPLETELY ruined the game experience. I think it had great potential, but had some serious flaws, and not the kind of flaws ET had. These flaws actually made it so you couldn't play the game. Now, on the other hand, SOCOM is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Especially it's online feature. I play that game whenever I've got the time to spare (damn precal and genetics...). Frontline is fun too, but I can't wait until Rising Sun comes out. That'll be online too! Oh yes, and have you played Tribes? I just got it last Saturday. It's fun, but you can only play it for about an hour at a time because it can get repetitive. I don't think it will remain in my possession for a long time...

nycgamer

Kumba said:
You must be outta yo mind! "The Getaway"'s controls were HORRIBLE! It COMPLETELY ruined the game experience. I think it had great potential, but had some serious flaws, and not the kind of flaws ET had.

Agreed. The controls in The Getaway frustrated me greatly. I couldn't believe they would take a game with so much potential and botch up the control scheme so badly. However, The Getaway - as you said yourself - had a ton of potential. The story, graphics, voice-acting and gameplay were all exceptional (at least in my opinion they were), so I still count it as a game that sets certain standards for other games in the same genre. The controls are the only exception.

I'm excited about a lot of the shooting games coming out, mainly because of the incredible graphics and improvements in A.I. A couple of shooters that aren't as well-known but are going to be great are Stalker: Oblivion Lost (http://www.stalker-game.com) and Kill Switch (http://www.killswitch.com). What's particularly interesting about Kill Switch is that it will utilize blind-cover-fire tactics as the predominant means of survival, unlike all other shooters where you always aim and shoot, covered or not. The A.I. is apparently going to be superior as well. For example, enemies use all of the same tactics available to you, including cover and blindfire, but also communicate and work as teams to take you down. Should be a great game. A couple of guys played it at E3 and said it was one of the best shooters there.

Ska

If you like Indy (and I'm sure you do if you're reading this), you have to play Riddle of the Sphinx for the pc and it's sequel The Omega Stone. It's about a man who gets a letter from his friend, who has been studying the Sphinx in Egypt. When you get to the site, your friend is missing, although he left all kinds of clues to you. You spend the rest of the games searching in the Pyramids at Giza and the Sphinx, going deeper and deeper into their secret passageways to find your friend.

It's a Myst type game where you need to take A LOT OF NOTES! I'm about half way through the first game and already have 5 pages of notes.

I would recommend these games to anyone even remotely interested in Indy or Egypt. Go get it right now!

Sab

nycgamer

Ah man, that Indy game in Egypt sounds awesome ~ will definitely have to find it. Any game that takes place in ancient Egyptian pyramids has my attention.

Kumba, to answer your question about Kill Switch, it will be on PS2 and Xbox. Usually, when you go to an official site for a game, there will be icons for any platforms it will be on at the bottom of the main page. Click on the links I posted in my last message and you'll see what I mean.

Ska

Unfortunately these are not Indy games, but are definitely influence by the man in the hat. Here are the websites (pretty self-explainatory):

http://www.riddleofthesphinx.com

http://www.theomegastone.com

Your best bet to find Riddle would be at either Electronic Boutique or Staples (where I recently bought it). It's been out for a few years and is kinds hard to find.

Omega was only released earlier this year and can easily be found/ordered.

westford

Time Splitters 2 - what a game! The arcade mode is cool if you just want some mindless shooting action. The story mode is pretty challenging, and I won't embarrass myself by telling you where I've got to in league mode... Can I use "but I'm a girl" as an excuse?? Pretty please!!! :p

Frontline (my bro's) is a great game, again I'm not gonna say just how rubbish I am... D'oh! I mean, I'm brilliant at it and finished it in 5 minutes... Honest!

MGS2 (my bro's) - I was so bad I gave up after an hour of being killed repeatedly (on the easiest setting)... I didn't like Mr Snake... :p

I finished Vice City all by myself though! And then had to talk my boyfriend through several levels over the phone... :rolleyes:

Ska

There's a game coming out called Broken Sword 3: Sleeping Dragon that looks like a clone of Indiana Jones. I, being a pretty avid gamer, have somehow never hear of this series. I found out that this is the first 3D version in the series, although I personally don't know this to be true. It looks like a pretty awesome game for Indy fans. I mean, c'mon, the lead guy in Broken Sword wears a freakin' khaki colored shirt, brown pants and boots, and a satchel. Although the satchel is worn on the opposite side that Indy wears it...

www.brokenswordgame.com

Ska

[Edited by SKAbatula on 10-17-2003 at 10:02 am]