How many generations will find ROTLA to be a classic?

Henry W Jones

As we all know, times and perceptions change. Do you think ROTLA will still be considered a classic 200 years from now or will it be just some old movie to future generations? I'd like to think it will still be considered a great action film 200 years from now but I think it is already considered old to the younger generation for the most part already.

Raiders was made near 100 years of film as it is and the medium has changed so much since, so much has to be wondered about what form "film" or "movies" will take and how it will evolve or devolve.

200 years will be a tough one...tough to say.

My guess is that it will be referenced with respect to the money and influence of George Lucas, artistry of Spielberg and an example of the death of an era of practical effects in film. The best of an old technology and "worst" of a new.

I have a pretty bleak outlook otherwise, considering what we get is mostly content, content to fill time.

So much will rely on future generations producing talented but most importantly motivated artists.

It certainly was among the best/popular the 80's produced...which is most likely a blip over the course of a 300 year plus history.

The Drifter

Maybe movies will be considered an old hat 200 years from now? Plays were the thing to see back 200 years ago, and how many people do you know that goes to see a play on a regular basis? Not many, I'd bet.
So, 200 years in the future movies may evolve into some other more modern (at the time) form of entertainment, and film will be seen as passé.

But, Raiders may still be talked about in elite circles that see movies as a higher level of entertainment than the lowbrow trash that is all the rage in 2213.

Montana Smith

Two hundred years from now the last few remaining humans will be fighting off the zombie horde and won't have time to consider such silliness as Indiana Jones!

IndyJoey

Henry W Jones said:
As we all know, times and perceptions change. Do you think ROTLA will still be considered a classic 200 years from now or will it be just some old movie to future generations? I'd like to think it will still be considered a great action film 200 years from now but I think it is already considered old to the younger generation for the most part already.

Im 15 years old, so speaking for the younger generation, it is still a wonderful movie. And good movies never get old. Laurel and Hardy is still funny, Indiana Jones will always be the classic adventure movie.

Montana Smith

Two hundred years from now ROTLA will be even more antiquated than the serials upon which it was based.

By then there'll be another two centuries worth of films to watch. For those that have machines to cope with such old technology, viewing something that ancient will likely be less popular than it is today to watch the cliffhangers of the 1930s and 1940s.

You only have to check the Cliffhangers thread here to see how unpopular that is!

Montana Smith said:
Two hundred years from now ROTLA will be even more antiquated than the serials upon which it was based.
Because they'll live in a era of paradox where older things aren't as antiquated?

:p

<looks like you're taking up the bashing torch amigo>
<I know you mean compared to now>

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Because they'll live in a era of paradox where older things aren't as antiquated?

289752_1.jpg

"Stupid boy!"

<http://www.neverlosethehat.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/203__320x240_sallah.jpg>

Goodeknight

As Rocket notes, I think it largely depends on what "movies" are like in 200 years. Will they even exist? Or will people immerse themselves in virtual 3D realities with open ended dream like adventures? Or will they just be busy fighting real life zombie hordes as Montana speculates?

When movies first came out they ran a couple of minutes. Then they ramped up to half an hour, and then to an hour and a half and to two hours. Now we have LOTR and others at 3-4 hours. In 200 years people could watch 10 hour movies. Or the low attention span could reign and they'd be back to 15 minute flicks, at which time they wouldn't want to sit down to Raiders, Fellowship of the Ring, or Gone with the Wind.

Yes, hard to say.

A few things it has going for it: Color. Good sound capture. Good script. Good enough effects. Good score. Good story. Good acting.

And by "good" I mean "good enough to stand the test of time for a long, long time."

While it's fun to watch a silent film or a grainy b/w with bad sound, cheap effects, relatively bad acting, and a pulp script, most people don't watch them as mainstream entertainment. But Raiders doesn't fit that category. It's got a lot going for it.

People still watch Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and numerous others. Dated? Yes. Highly watchable classics? Yes again.

So in the end, I do believe people will still be watching Raiders in 200 years. I think it will fall into the same category as ones I just listed, as if they were all contemporary. "You know, those old classics, like Raiders and Wizard of Oz." Only thing that would separate the old classics from the not-quite-as-old classics would be color, which is funny given Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind both came out before Casablanca or Citizen Kane.

That time period marked a major leap forward, in the way that Chuck Berry and others ushered in rock and roll. Go to any high school without uniforms and you'll find dudes wearing Led Zeppelin shirts and listening to The Doors, Zep, Stones, Grateful Dead, etc. -- listening to guys that are now considerably older than their own grandparents.

Once those defining moments happen, the style sticks around for quite a while.

Wonder what the next defining moments in cinema will be. 3D has come and gone for decades, but it's not that defining regardless. HD and IMAX ramped up the rez and gave the masses "home theaters." Full immersion would be major. I just don't want to have an HDMI port implanted at the base of my cranium.

goodeknight said:
Wonder what the next defining moments in cinema will be.
Going on what exists today, we'll probably see innovation in edits...maybe some kind of find your fate/you make the call type choice.

Maybe a more sophisticated version of what Star Tours does with multiple paths only with more audience interactivity.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
...what Star Tours does with multiple paths...
Ha. I was just going to ask about the multiple paths in the "Temple of the Forbidden Eye" thread.:)

Anyway, "Raiders" will always be a classic. Even more so would be Indiana Jones, himself, as I think his image will stand the test of time like Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp. Exactly 1 week ago (Feb. 7) marked that character's 99th birthday and people still recognize him today, despite the fact that they've probably never seen (or can even name) one of his movies. In 2081, a hundred years after "Raiders", I'm sure folks will know who Indiana Jones is.

It's also in the American Film Institute's top 100 so it'll be a long while before (or if) it ever gets knocked out.:gun:

IndyJoey

Rocket Surgeon said:
Going on what exists today, we'll probably see innovation in edits...maybe some kind of find your fate/you make the call type choice.
Like gigantic video games? Where you can be completely encased in a 4D world where you can smell and feel everything. Then we could be fighting off zombies... in moviegames.

Stoo said:
"Raiders" will always be a classic. Even more so would be Indiana Jones, himself, as I think his image will stand the test of time...
The silhouette will endure...

4805990163_8d19f38f9f.jpg

IndyJoey said:
Like gigantic video games? Where you can be completely encased in a 4D world where you can smell and feel everything.
If only to live so long as to experience it...as long as we're dreaming, why not.

I'd rather die of a heartattack fighting Nazis on a Mercedes Truck then...wait make that die of a heart attack in Marion's cabin on the Bantu Wind.

As long as I'm Indy, not in a threeway with Indy.:eek:

Forbidden Eye

Indiana Jones will be remember as a film character the same way Sherlock Holmes is remembered as a literature character.

In other words: timeless.

Montana Smith

ROTLA will be remembered similarly to Nosferato: a well made film in its time, but long since surpassed by finer examples.

If a copy of it is ever unearthed from beneath the post-apocalyptic rubble film students might study it, once their universities are rebuilt.

IndyJoey

Rocket Surgeon said:
wait make that die of a heart attack in Marion's cabin on the Bantu Wind.

As long as I'm Indy, not in a threeway with Indy.:eek:

I would much rather be with Elsa in Venice :D . And of course as long as I'm Indy.

IndyJoey said:
I would much rather be with Elsa in Venice :D . And of course as long as I'm Indy.
We're dreaming here...do I have to make a choice? How about a Marion/Elsa fan edit?

Montana Smith said:
ROTLA will be remembered similarly to Nosferato: a well made film in its time, but long since surpassed by finer examples.
What surpassed Nosferato?:confused:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
What surpassed Nosferato?:confused:

Sound. Colour. Acting.

All of these supercede Nosferatu. Or else all films would still be silent, black and white, and with actors over-acting.

In 200 years current film will most probably be superceded by some new experience which will make ROTLA the equivalent of a black and white silent movie.

Montana Smith said:
Sound. Colour.
Yes, sure...

Montana Smith said:
Eh...what Vampire film is devoid of bad acting? In this respect Nosferatu still competes if not dominates still.

Montana Smith said:
All of these supercede Nosferatu. Or else all films would still be silent, black and white, and with actors over-acting.
Sound and Color isn't enough. It has to be better. Young Frankenstein makes the perfect example for black and white (well beyond homage) and the sound in Dusk till Dawn, while the highlight of the film, (beyond Selma (pre-tramsformation)) doesn't make it a better film than Nosferatu.

Nosferatu had piano accompanyment, no?

Montana Smith said:
In 200 years current film will most probably be superceded by some new experience which will make ROTLA the equivalent of a black and white silent movie.
Wanna make a bet?!

Thats what they said about Space:1999.

I'm still waiting for my moonbase.