How much Indiana Jones Fandom is too much?

chr0n0naut

Ok so I just showed my better half the "Frank Marshal confirms Indy 5" article at theRaider and she collapsed to floor screaming "no, no!"

How much of a fan can you get before it becomes too far?

I'll explain to you my... "fandom" for lack of a better term.

I have the following Indiana Jones ornaments floating around the house:
  • Coffee Mug
  • Crystal Skull Ornament
  • Pen set
  • Limited Edition Character Key
  • Calendar
  • Hat and Whip on the bed post
  • Mighty Mug

I also have:
  • Indy desktop background
  • Raider.net as ie homepage
  • Replica jacket (which is really warm in the winter)
  • The DVDs / games
  • Lego key-ring (I got her a Marion one :p )
  • Indy standee (signed by John Rhys-Davies)
  • Indy theme as my ring tone
  • Whole bunch of collectables in storage (figurines, posters etc)

I don't watch the movies religeously or play the games every day. I don't walk around the how pretending boulders are after me or hum the tune everywhere I go.

However recently Samm (my gf) got a bit annoyed that I really wanted to take her car to go and get Staff of Kings when she wanted to spend a night at home with me (which we ended up doing but not after an argument)

Is this too much? Should I lay off a bit or is this nothing more than a fan expressing themselves?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Where does the line between being a fan and having a fetish lie? I don't know, but I'm guessing that joining up at the Raven marks that line somewhere.

my dad is a big indy fan too, and so am i --- he has indy ringtone on his phone , indy shirts , fedora , jacket ,whip, you name it , a ton of collectibles, and new stuff he got when we went to florida to hollywood studios at disney.
so i think you can never go to far being a indiana jones fan .

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
This has been kind of discussed before- as far as I'm concerned just look at posts from a former member called Sankara. That's fandom that's gone too far.

Personally, I've felt that I've needed to draw back this past few months (yes, I was already starting to feel this way before the SoK novel cancellation) and have been doing that. I haven't done any new Marion costumes for years, there isn't going to be anything Indy related in my 21st birthday party (except if the family or friends find some kind of present) and yeah, I admit I did buy the SoK game on it's first day of release, but this was fuelled mostly by my little brother who was very excited about the game and happily split the cost with me (and he's finished it by the way with very little trouble at all and loves it, though he wishes the ending could have had an epic fight instead of a chase).

Sure, I admit I do own enough indy stuff, mostly books, comics and games and am quite selective and even more selective about what items I buy (not so much about the money, just the product and it's quality). My brother owns some bits and pieces like the Lego Indy sets because he loves lego.

I can't judge others as if they are happy the way they are and they're not hurting anybody, then who am I to say that they've gone too far? I mean as long as they're not spending every bit of money on the brand, not fully dressing as the character everyday, etc then I guess I don't see a problem. You've got to have a passion for something, an escape for how life can be sometimes quite boring.

Though you'll find everyone will have differing opinions on this as everyone here as their own degree of fandom some are more fanatical and others more casual. I've made a decision to become more casual. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the series and love Indy, it's just that I've gotten to a point where I've had my fill and can move on.

bennihana123

I have the fedora, games, movies, and books/comics.

I don't wear the fedora or play the games/read the books regularly, though. Whenever its movie night at our house, I do tend to suggest the 4 films.

I don't talk about it obsessively with my family, but I do tell them some news: "I read they're trying to make a fifth Indiana Jones movie" or "That Indiana Jones book got cancelled."

I don't think there is such thing as too much fandom. It's what we love, embrace it.

DocWhiskey

I'm a big comic geek. Batman and Spider-man are my sources of knowledge. I have a ton of comics and horror stuff. I'm also a huge Ghostbusters, Star Wars, and TMNT fan.

But I will admit, Indy's kinda my thing.

I collect a lot of Indy stuff. I have the movies, posters, figures, books, comics, photos, magazines, trading cards, shirts, fedoras, and a replica costume. I also learned how to use a bullwhip (quite well I may add) because of Indy. I listen to the Indycast and I have the Indy theme as my ringtone. Out of all my interests, Indy reigns supreme.

But am I too much?

No. Not really. At least I don't think so.

I don't shove my interests on anybody. You could be good friends with me for quite some time, but you'd never catch on that I was this huge Indy addict. I wear a t-shirt here and there, but if you're not a huge Indyfan I don't bore you with it.

I'm lucky that I have 2 great friends that are also big Indyfans and they could happily talk with me about Indiana Jones for hours.

I understand where this thread is coming from though. I go to an art school and there's a lot of "those" kids. The ones that you ask where Room 217 is and they'll somehow bring up Anime or D and D and just keep going on even when you show obvious disinterest.

There's no problem being a disgustingly loyal fanboy, you just have to know when to pocket it in some social situations.

Morning Bell

I've been an Indy fan ever since I was a kid and I own quite a bit of merchandise and collectables from the series. However, that's a far cry from spending every waking moment thinking about the series and shaping your whole life around it. There's nothing wrong with being a big fan and investing in the franchise (I think most of us here have done that to one extent or another) but when it becomes your main priority and causes you to neglect the important things in your life, like family, friends, and work, then you have reason to be concerned.

It sounds to me like you're just a big fan and are enjoying the series. As long as you have your priorities straight I don't see anything wrong with it.:hat:

Webley

Attila the Professor said:
Where does the line between being a fan and having a fetish lie? I don't know, but I'm guessing that joining up at the Raven marks that line somewhere.
Yes joining the Raven makes you a freek for Indy:sick:

indyclone25

i guess i am a big indy fan --- to the point where i have my wife hating anything indy (which she used to love the films) but i did the same to her about star wars and spiderman --- hey she has her tinkerbell collection jiminy cricket collection and gone with the wind ---oh and the biggest of her collection precious moments!!!!! but i could care less when she gets excited about a new find .its not like i am forcing indy into ebvery conversation --i do tend to let he know any new info i learn but its like if you watch the news , you talk about what you have seen or heard, so i say let fandom rule --- it really doesnt hurt anyone ( maybe the wallet tho ):whip:

Vendetta08

How much Indiana Jones fandom is too much? If they were to make a movie called "Indy Fanboys" and it's about a group of renegade basement dwellers who take a cross country trip to Lucasfilm to steal a print of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Goonie

I don't think what you have there is too much. We're living in crappy times right now. If Indy makes you happy, it makes you happy :hat: . What's your gf into? She must have some sort of interest too. Everyone has their 'escape' from the real world.

AlivePoet

I am a huge fan, though it wouldn't show in my personal inventory, of which Indy-related are the four films on DVD. However, this doesn't mean the films haven't influenced me in my life decisions. For example, I love going on excursions or doing adventurous things rather spontaneously (case in point for those of you who remember my (mis)adventure earlier this month...aha, ahem.).

I will admit that my love for traveling and having adventures was certainly inspired partially by the Indy films. (And game--Fate of Atlantis was my first-ever exposure to the Indy franchise, and a damned good one I might add.) So while I'm not a collector of merchandise, I do still spend a significant portion of my life doing things that have been inspired by the franchise.

So, going too far? We all do foolish things in life, whether obsessing over an iconic adventure hero or fantasizing a romance over 5,000 km away. At least the former will show up at the spin of a DVD... ;)

It's going too far that really makes life interesting, and worth living, I think.

chr0n0naut said:

The Psychiatrist is real IN:

5 cents please.

That you're asking, most likely means you've already stepped over the line.;)

That you're asking for opinions means you're not too far gone, (but an Indiana Jones Msg Board is NOT the place).

It could be your first step to recovery or you're stockpiling ammunition! (y)

deckard24

Attila the Professor said:
Exactly! The fact that we are all here discussing Indiana Jones in varying degrees, some for months, others for years, indicates more then a passing interest. In my opinion, just joining The Raven alone, signifies you're more then just the average fan.

StoneTriple

chr0n0naut said:
...she collapsed to floor screaming "no, no!"

When the woman in your life wants to spend an evening at home and you would rather go buy an Indiana Jones video game - it's time to take a break and rejoin reality.

chr0n0naut said:
Hat and Whip on the bed post.

Like I was saying...

WillKill4Food

DocWhiskey said:
I like how I laughed at the fact you linked those threads.
Oops. I meant to link one to the wedding and the other to Nurhachi1991's going to prom in a fedora. Oh, well. It worked out well anyway.