How to build an even better Indy movie

raydelark

How about all of us each trying to come up with at least three original ideas that would make Indy IV even better than the first three for you? In your mind, think of the very best you've seen so far, and then think of things that would impress you more. Oh, and Ren, try to keep it positive :)

1- Indy travels to every continent, and then some, that he hasn't been to already.
2- Very basically, everything should be even bigger. That is if Raiders was compared to a masterpiece symphony of incredible crescendos and beautiful melodic lows, I would want IV to be even more extreme in all ways, ie. at the very beginning of Raiders, when Indy first pulls out his whip to crack the gun out of the guide's hand, I would like to see Indy have a great whip battle with a foe.
3- Not only could I tolerate, but I would love to see a 3 hour Indy 4.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
#2 sounds rather like an Indiana Jones version of a spaghetti western or something, everything exaggerated beyond repair. I love Sergio Leone (I have the Once Upon a Time in the West soundtrack in my computer right now), but it just doesn't work for Dr. Jones.

raydelark

Getting back on track here, this is an opportunity to express your wish for the next movie, not to put someone elses down.

Finn

Staff member
Sure, I want Indy IV to be a gooooooood movie, something that could make go "wow". But I saw that a friendly warning would be appropiate...

raydelark

[Get over it? All these current Roller-Coaster movies are just homages to Raiders.]
[/B]

Raiders has never faltered from being my personal favorite, because I relate to it and think it's the best ever. It probably can't be topped, but I thought I'd post the question: What do you think could make a better one? I'm not asking if you think it's possible or if you want another, so such comments are irrelavant to this post. Don't base your answer on how I would build a better Indy movie, because I was just hoping to start an intersting discussion with ideas and guesses that aren't neccessarily my beliefs. Forgive me for mis-titling it, and I forgive anyone who only quips from the peanut gallery.

"I Wanna Be Like Indiana Jones."

raydelark

Attila the Professor said:
#2 sounds rather like an Indiana Jones version of a spaghetti western or something, everything exaggerated beyond repair. I love Sergio Leone (I have the Once Upon a Time in the West soundtrack in my computer right now), but it just doesn't work for Dr. Jones.

Thank you. NEXT! :)

raydelark

Renderking Fisk said:
Wanna be more like ?Indiana Jones?? Try being a better man or woman for a start. Everyone is all wrapped around being like someone else when they fail to seek their own greater potential. You?re a great person just as you are.

How can they make Jones4 better then the original? First, they need to accept the fact that maybe it can?t be done just to get the stress out of the way. Second, they should be intent on making a smart and entertaining movie that sticks somewhat to the original formula. Third? and this echoes my earlier posts ? Don?t try and get Jones4 to adhere to any of the current trends such as the matrix style of fighting or the over-the-top physically impossible CGI-Stunts that are now omnipresent in current films. Fourth? a plot so thick you would have to cut it with a knife.

That's a keeper, "my good friend".

FordFan

I always thought that Indy should be laughed at for wearing the fedora and the leather jacket. I mean, maybe not in the previous three, but maybe someone can utter to Indy "Are you really planning on wearing that outside?" To which Indy replies "Shut up." Or something like that. And it's not the first time it's been done. Captain Kananga made a comment about it, and so did Willy. As did the Grail knight. The twist here is that someone is ragging on an older Indiana Jones wearing the same costume. I think that'd be good.

But also, I think it'd be funny if when Indy is sleeping on the plane to get to his destination, he sleeps a LITTLE TOO LONG. As in, his sidekick has to nudge him a little to wake him up. Maybe add in a snoring sound effect, and it'd get a good laugh.

That's just an idea though.

As far as action goes, they can't turn Indy into Superman. And they can't use CGI. You watch CGI long enough, and you see the flaws. As cool as Matrix 2 and 3 were, you could tell much of it was CGI. It takes the thrill out of a movie.

I think the movie shouldn't constantly switch locales any more than the other ones did. That could be exhausting mentally.

Keep up the suggestions lads.

FordFan

And on another note, I need to address something. Indy 4 will not be better than Raiders. It cannot be topped. Frank Darabont himself told me they want to try and make something that can hold a torch to the other three, because they couldn't remake the greatness that was Raiders. That is quite a high bar, and I can accept that. A movie can still be quite enjoyable and not be better than Raiders. Look at the other two Indy movies. They are flawed, and I'm positive they can make a better film than ToD or LC.

raydelark

FordFan said:
And on another note, I need to address something. Indy 4 will not be better than Raiders. It cannot be topped. Frank Darabont himself told me they want to try and make something that can hold a torch to the other three, because they couldn't remake the greatness that was Raiders. That is quite a high bar, and I can accept that. A movie can still be quite enjoyable and not be better than Raiders. Look at the other two Indy movies. They are flawed, and I'm positive they can make a better film than ToD or LC.

Cool comments, if I say so myself.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
raydelark said:
Very basically, everything should be even bigger.
<i>Parturiunt montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.</i>
~Horatio
"The mountains are in labor, and a ridiculous mouse will be born." (and no I didn't translate that via the web, I just know a bit of Latin)

IAdventurer01

FordFan said:
And on another note, I need to address something. Indy 4 will not be better than Raiders. It cannot be topped.

I disagree. Although very unlikely that Indy 4 will top Raiders, it is not out of the question.

raydelark

IAdventurer01 said:
FordFan said:
And on another note, I need to address something. Indy 4 will not be better than Raiders. It cannot be topped.

I disagree. Although very unlikely that Indy 4 will top Raiders, it is not out of the question.

I had a dream last night that IV will be the best. Yes, I believe it will be magnificent!

LASTCRUSADER

As much as I would love to think that Indy IV will be better then Raiders.I'm just not sure that Raiders can be topped. I'm sure that Indy IV will be great though.

raydelark

Renderking Fisk said:
Well, I said this before... once they focus more on making just a great movie and an entertaining picture they stand a better chance of making something awesome.

Indeed, I believe they have a great vision which will be realized. In my dream it's a major crowd-pleaser, not to mention critically acclaimed. Further, it wins several awards. All of this is possible and I simply like entertaining it, knowing that's all it is. Don't you ever get the feeling that many of the collective thoughts expressed on the Raven are right, such as more film noir being used in IV? Oh, one of the awards I saw was for cinematography. Simply, I'm VERY excited, hopeful, and optimistic.

theinfiniteweird

Basically, make sure Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg play there respective roles for the movie and production of, and the movie can only be the greatest thing ever. Top raiders? Hopefully it will. It will not at all diminish the awesomeness of Raiders, as I'm thinking some if you might be thinking- in the backs of your minds or right up front- but it will merely make another great movie.

How to make it bigger and better? We've seen many versions of adventure. Awesome temples, rugged terrains, larger than life bad guys and larger than the universe artifacts. What kept each one going was the originallness from the last one/two. Just make sure this one is original with just as good if not better adventure and such, and everything will be fine.

So, to get a bigger and better Jones film, just keep doing what's been done. I know I really didn't contribute much on the actual idea, but who can? There are the three great ones (Ford, Lucas and Speilberg) who can call shots correctly, and I don't see my name in that category.

jenniferelise

The reason why Raiders is such a great movie, my favorite, is the same reason why Star Wars (Am I allowed to use the SW word here?) is such a great movie. Before those two movies came about, there was never another movie like it before. So after that high bar was set, everyone and anyone immitated it, but it was just never the same. Although I would like to argue that The Empire Strikes Back is actually a better movie than Star Wars, but that doesn't go here. In any event Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade are not better movies then Raiders, although I am sure someone will disagree with me.

Okay, someone asked for three things. Well, I can't give you three. I made a list. If they want to make a good Indiana Jones 4, they need to:

1) Keep true to the characters they bring back. These are all characters the audience knows well. They need to stay in character. Indy is obviously older now, they can make his character more mature. Maybe now instead of teaching classes, he's on the lecture circuit. Or, maybe he has written books on his archaeological adventures, or whatever, but whatever it is can not be unbelievable.

2) Make interesting and realistic new characters.

3) Make a villain that is a worthy advisary for Doctor Jones. Belloq was a great villain for Indy because the two were so much alike. The villain should also be likeable in his/her own way. The villain should also have the upper hand.

4) Okay Harrison Ford is older now, everyone gets older, but he needs to have a certain, I don't know, "look" so it is believable that Indy at whatever age he is in the movie is still out there doing his thing.

5) A fantastic opening action sequence that starts out with the paramont logo like all the other three films did. This is key. I think if it opens any other way, fans will be disappointed and just not focus on the rest of the movie no matter how good it is.

6) They need to stick to the rules of the other three movies.

7) If they can't come up with a good script they need to scrap the idea (I was forced to see Jurassic Park 3, your symapthy is much appreciated).

8) They should have a reference in the movie to Raiders. Both Temple of Doom (which shouldn't have because it took place in 1935 and Raiders took place in 1936) and The Last Crusade made reference to Raiders.

9) Little things count.

10) They need to shoot it in a wide aspect ratio. This way it will fit in with the look of the other movies.

11) The actors they bring back have to all want to make this movie as well as the crew, because if they are not all in agreement, then it will show on film.

12) It has to be intelligent and funny.

13) Whatever happens in the movie has to be relevant to the time it is set in.

14) These movies usually have a color theme.

15) There needs to be one really cool action sequence with no music a la the fight sequence at The Raven!

16) Music by John Williams

17) Cameos by members of the crew.

18) Stunts - real stunts.

19) I for one would like to see a good trailer that doesn't give the whole movie away!

20) The love interest should not be helpless and scream the whole movie. I am not a Willie fan, although she did have some funny lines. In the words of our hero, "the biggest problem with her is the noise".

I'm sure my list goes on, but this was off the top of my head and I can't sit and write the rest of it now.

-Jenniferelise

Oh, I know another one. Indy gets out of situations by using his wits. So it needs to stick to that premise.

[Edited by jenniferelise on 12-06-2003 at 03:30 pm]