If not Hasbro, then who?

tnswman

NickTurner said:
"there is much, much, much more dead plastic to come"

Does that mean H is still shipping Waves 1 & 2 to Wally, or that W still has 'em in warehouses? Don't know if you know - just wondering what that phrase meant. W over-ordered maybe?? From the "hostile" comment it sounds that they hate Hasbro. Where they forced to take cases???

And I'm sure it's no news to anyone that the 2 Wallys I regularly haunt have almost zero movement in figures, even at $5.44 per.

Right now, BOTH have them in back stock...That's why the TOD wave will not havea long shelf appearance..After Dec 31st, Count indy bye..It's time to focus on the next range of products.

Arab Swordsman

Vance said:
Simply put, do not, EVER, rely on twnsman for advice on how the business end works. He does not understand it. He does not know it. Period.

Did have a chat with the local Hasbro reps today, and they were surprised that so much information got out already, but they confirmed that the product for Indiana Jones was extremely well below expectations all around and would be culled (though possibly not entirely eliminated). They also mentioned that a number of the limited-run collectors' products, though, did very well, and they'll try to keep those going.

I think TN was tooting this horn for awhile now that the outlook was grim. He was one of the reasons that so much of the info Hasbro is surprised about being out there is out there. You can't bash him in one breath and then say that Hasbro was surprised all the info was out there. He might not express the info in the best way sometimes but he's been on here and so far I haven't see where he's been wrong.

Also, he's completley right about the first refusal clause. Hasbro wants to protect their interests in being able to make future Indy product even after this is dead. If Lucas makes another movie Hasbro is super smart in being able to nix the line if they don't want to make it and then let Lucas shop elsewhere. Plus, Hasbro doesn't want to spend money putting out these figures and then have Lucas move to another toy company without them being able to counter. It's just like signing a contingency sale contract on a house and having the seller agree to give you the first right to make a counteroffer if someone comes in and puts a higher offer on a house you are looking to buy.

Arab Swordsman

tnswman said:
Keep your ears peeled for info on how those battle packs do..They have a VERY specific role in the future. They will NOT save the current line though..However, that's not their reasoning.

I know I'll be buying the Target packs for sure for my son and the Akator playset at Sam's with the figures included.

DIrishB

Actually, a great solution for both Hasbro and collector's would be to go the route of Battle Packs. Release Packs of 3-4 figures, with one or two NEW figures (like Toht, German Mechanic, Satipo, etc) and with another few OLD figures (Mutts, Indy RPG, Spalko). This not only moves old product, but entices collectors to buy it merely to get the new, exclusive figures. Its an idea thats worked quite well in other toy lines. And considering all the unsold figures (2008 Crystal Skull Wave 2) and already completed but unreleased figures (2009 Raiders Wave 5), its like hitting two birds with one stone. This to me seems like a better way to, at the very least, recoup some of the losses Habsro is taking on the existing, unsold figures.

tnswman

Arab Swordsman said:
I think TN was tooting this horn for awhile now that the outlook was grim. He was one of the reasons that so much of the info Hasbro is surprised about being out there is out there. You can't bash him in one breath and then say that Hasbro was surprised all the info was out there. He might not express the info in the best way sometimes but he's been on here and so far I haven't see where he's been wrong.

Also, he's completley right about the first refusal clause. Hasbro wants to protect their interests in being able to make future Indy product even after this is dead. If Lucas makes another movie Hasbro is super smart in being able to nix the line if they don't want to make it and then let Lucas shop elsewhere. Plus, Hasbro doesn't want to spend money putting out these figures and then have Lucas move to another toy company without them being able to counter. It's just like signing a contingency sale contract on a house and having the seller agree to give you the first right to make a counteroffer if someone comes in and puts a higher offer on a house you are looking to buy.

EXACTLY!! 1st refusal is just another way that companies lock in their rights to a larger property.

Vance

Arab Swordsman said:
Hasbro wants to protect their interests in being able to make future Indy product even after this is dead.

That's not an entirely safe assumption. While some lines did great by Hasbro, both the Clone Wars and Crystal Skull lines have done abysmally. (Force Unleashed isn't doing all that great, either, in toys). The 'golden touch' of the Lucas name has officially been tarnished.

First refusal is not an 'an infinitum' thing. If Hasbro is dropping the license, ending their share of the agreement, then 'first refusal' could be right out as well. The details of such are in the current license, and neither you nor I have access to that contract, even though I'm sure Twnsman will claim he's read it and understands every line.

Point being, I understand how you want to defend someone who seems like this 'big insider', but the man's been wrong nearly all of the time, has not presented a single bit of information prior to the fact, and has completely and totally turned an about face on what he's been saying in the past six weeks because it's been painfully obvious how wrong he was.

So, I'm going to tell you again, don't listen to Twnsman about how Hasbro works. He simply does not know it. For that matter, don't listen to anyone with 'inside info'. If you really want these questions answered, and want to learn more, contact Hasbro yourself. It's painfully easy to do.

Kevin

tnswman said:
EXACTLY!! 1st refusal is just another way that companies lock in their rights to a larger property.

Right, but that's not the same as "locking up the license and throwing away the key." If Lucasfilm wants more toys made, Hasbro has first dibs, but if Hasbro refuses then they are SOL and its on to the next toy company.

Personally, I hope Hasbro keeps the license and eventally revives the line. The first waves were pretty bad QC-wise, but from the looks of the LC and TOD waves, the product has gotten much better. I'm sure if the initial waves were of the same quality as these new figures, we would have seen much stronger sales, and might not be faced with cancellation of the line. I know many collectors simply never started collecting IJ in the first place because the paint apps were so bad at first.

vf wing

Yeah, i think Hasbro is the only way to go with regards to the high quality line we all want. I'm enjoying reading some of the speculation here. I highly suspect a lot of eyes will be on how well the Clone Wars series does beginning in just two days, as well as what it does for the toyline.

tnswman

Vance said:
That's not an entirely safe assumption. While some lines did great by Hasbro, both the Clone Wars and Crystal Skull lines have done abysmally. (Force Unleashed isn't doing all that great, either, in toys). The 'golden touch' of the Lucas name has officially been tarnished.

First refusal is not an 'an infinitum' thing. If Hasbro is dropping the license, ending their share of the agreement, then 'first refusal' could be right out as well. The details of such are in the current license, and neither you nor I have access to that contract, even though I'm sure Twnsman will claim he's read it and understands every line.

Point being, I understand how you want to defend someone who seems like this 'big insider', but the man's been wrong nearly all of the time, has not presented a single bit of information prior to the fact, and has completely and totally turned an about face on what he's been saying in the past six weeks because it's been painfully obvious how wrong he was.

So, I'm going to tell you again, don't listen to Twnsman about how Hasbro works. He simply does not know it. For that matter, don't listen to anyone with 'inside info'. If you really want these questions answered, and want to learn more, contact Hasbro yourself. It's painfully easy to do.

Don't be so jealous.. It does not suit you..just makes you look as foolish as the other people who tried.

Here is the deal, PROVE me wrong!

because you do nothing but repeat things that you HEAR!! not from true direct conversations with people INSIDE of Hasbro...It's not my fault i get the actual info....Just don't be a baby.

and are you SERIOUSLY so stupid to say that the SW clone Wars line is not doing well? Are you SERIOUS??? come on..don't be totally stupid....Do you have ANY idea how many units hasbro is moving? My GOD!! they are already shelving the new waves at the regular pace if NOT faster!!

And Force unleashed was a late 2007early 2008 line.. EVERYTHING from it sold...all the exclusives and figures from the line.. If you are counting on it's sales now when only a few of the FU toys are re-released then you truly are brain dead. force unleashed was a MAJOR hit for Hasbro..They admit it fully. What kind of warped posts are you trying to make.

not to mention that you actually think that people can just call up good old Hasbro and get the kind of info that I have given here for WEEKS . LOL!! MY GOD!!! just stop and save your dignity before I own it too.

Kevin said:
Right, but that's not the same as "locking up the license and throwing away the key." If Lucasfilm wants more toys made, Hasbro has first dibs, but if Hasbro refuses then they are SOL and its on to the next toy company.

Personally, I hope Hasbro keeps the license and eventally revives the line. The first waves were pretty bad QC-wise, but from the looks of the LC and TOD waves, the product has gotten much better. I'm sure if the initial waves were of the same quality as these new figures, we would have seen much stronger sales, and might not be faced with cancellation of the line. I know many collectors simply never started collecting IJ in the first place because the paint apps were so bad at first.

Ahhh, but their rights ARE locked in until they make the refusal. what NONE of you are looking at is what Lucas's interests are.

Lucas went YEARS without making an Indy toy line for the mass retail. They again show that they are willing to push Indy WITH media events only. The same stance as it has had since 1982. Now, we will continue to see more Indy in the specialized market for a while but you have to remember. The hasbro Indy line was truly only a 6-8 month line with hopes and a chance for more if it turned into a MAJOR hit.

Most of you understand all I have been saying now. The chips are falling into place which shows that my info is accurate. nobody but an idiot can dispute that. I have been on top of this line from 2007 on and out of that came GREAT contacts and a LOT of respect for my collection..some of that comes from the team at hasbro. They are fans too. Don't be so simple minded to assume that some info is not leaked on purpose! Like I said, Hasbro wanted true ANGRY feedback..Many here gave it but the same people were not really big suppoorters of the line anyway. just fly by night fans and collectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arab Swordsman

Vance said:

Don't make me out to be some young dope who comes on here and just believes someone because he appears to know what he's talking about. I'm over 30 and work in the business field so sometimes I can think on my own. I don't need you to "tell me" who I should and shouldn't listen to. TN might know people, he might not. I don't know the man well enough. But from what I've been reading back in the spring he's given this board some good information. You can choose to believe him or not (I really don't care) but don't insult me by insinuating that I'm some blind sheep just following everything he says.

Vance

tnswman said:
Here is the deal, PROVE me wrong!

You're the one making the claims. Back them up.

You can't point to a single thing, at all, in any of your posts, that shows prescient knowledge of ANY of Hasbro's lines. In fact, you were completely and utterly wrong about how Indiana Jones was doing. When you WERE called into question about some of your early samples, turns out you were buying stolen prototypes from Ebay... funny, that.

It's not my fault i get the actual info....Just don't be a baby.

I make a point of NOT asking for specifics and 'cool inside stuff' with the people that I know. It's actually seriously uncool to do that. Personally, I only repeat the stuff that Hasbrol will basically tell anyone who asks. This isn't some 'great conspiracy' thing, it's just that on those very rare occasions that I do find out something 'inside', I'm not going to violate the trust of friends to score '*****-points' on an internet chat board.

I'm angry at you because you're going to get people in trouble sooner or later, if not the Raven itself. I think that you're full of crap, and the fact that you blithely ignore the rules of the board and flame everyone at all times is pretty much proof of that. Believe me, there's nothing about you that I could be jealous of.

tnswman

Vance said:
You're the one making the claims. Back them up.

You can't point to a single thing, at all, in any of your posts, that shows prescient knowledge of ANY of Hasbro's lines. In fact, you were completely and utterly wrong about how Indiana Jones was doing. When you WERE called into question about some of your early samples, turns out you were buying stolen prototypes from Ebay... funny, that.

I make a point of NOT asking for specifics and 'cool inside stuff' with the people that I know. It's actually seriously uncool to do that. Personally, I only repeat the stuff that Hasbrol will basically tell anyone who asks. This isn't some 'great conspiracy' thing, it's just that on those very rare occasions that I do find out something 'inside', I'm not going to violate the trust of friends to score '*****-points' on an internet chat board.

I'm angry at you because you're going to get people in trouble sooner or later, if not the Raven itself. I think that you're full of crap, and the fact that you blithely ignore the rules of the board and flame everyone at all times is pretty much proof of that. Believe me, there's nothing about you that I could be jealous of.

Again, You are an idiot...what samples I bought off ebay were well doccumented by ME!! they were Adventure Heroes and the Carded Indy..The others all came from what turned into the Hasbro source. I even posted some links before of the items I won...The others came straight from what turned into some GREAT friends who love my passion for being an Indy collector.

Did you forget the VERY early Pit Trap Indy, LC Motorcycle German, and Monopoly game I had? And the other items such as the prototype Belloq, Russian and carded Cemetary Warrior which I produced MANY photos of? those didn't come off of ebay...However, you were too lazy to re-search that fact. Did you happen to forget those or were you not even a fan of Indy then and didn't know about he boards? Well, My ignorant friend, those items came straight from these sources.

There is no question that Indy was a Smash hit and a HUGe money maker. However, Not big enough to carry on...Once again, You are oblivious to the seperation.

My feelings are that I DO NOT care who get's in trouble. I will tell what I want to tell and if you had the ability to UNDERSTAND the simple things I say, then you would know how right the information I have been given has been.

If Hasbro tells me that grass is orange and I repeat it, it is what Hasbro told me..Is it right? No! However, the info about Indy is right.

to be honest with you, My Hasbro guys think that it's funny how people like you react when I am giving WORD FOR WORD info.

Then you have the stupidity to try to second guess the information that has been validated by Hasbro????? Come on.

Just SHUT UP!! It's over!! Listen to the Mods and DON'T be like other people on here who can't stand the fact that I was right.

Arab Swordsman said:
Don't make me out to be some young dope who comes on here and just believes someone because he appears to know what he's talking about. I'm over 30 and work in the business field so sometimes I can think on my own. I don't need you to "tell me" who I should and shouldn't listen to. TN might know people, he might not. I don't know the man well enough. But from what I've been reading back in the spring he's given this board some good information. You can choose to believe him or not (I really don't care) but don't insult me by insinuating that I'm some blind sheep just following everything he says.

That's all it is..Insulting people even after the fact that for WEEKS I was told that I was wrong and Hasbro would contradict EVERYTHING I had told..When in fact Hasbro came out earlier than I thought and Validated it all. Now it is a matter of this Vincy vance vase to come along and try to act like I had no knowledge of it.

And to insult people like you who were VERY middle of the road but inderstood the dynamics of it.

but hey, You can always call Hasbro and ask them yourself ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Munkeewrench

Jakks lost the WWE license, so they could use something else in their line...UFC and american Gladiators are not much to hang your hat on...

...although they do have Pokemon...

tnswman

Munkeewrench said:
Jakks lost the WWE license, so they could use something else in their line...UFC and american Gladiators are not much to hang your hat on...

...although they do have Pokemon...

LOL! Indy can not compete with Pokemon LOL!

Garfoot

I'm still with ya Hasbro.

It's funny how hope remains alive even though Hasbro has said the line is done. I chatted with the toy manager at my local Walmart, and he said that their particular warehouse still has "a ton" of KOTCS figures, and the store does not want them. I asked if the price reduction helped, and he said that maybe if the figures were thrown in a bin for $1.00 they might sell a few.

Walmart cannot sell these things, so why in the heck would they want more. They don't see the TOD figures as new, only as more Indy figures that won't sell. Optimism is great, but it's time to let Indy rest in peace. We will never see any new figures from this current line. It's done, it's over, there is no chance we will ever see wave 5.

I personally would have never been able to afford the 1980's Indiana jones figures, so I am very grateful to Hasbro that they made this line of figures.
Todays society is so now now now, and more more more, that we can't be happy with what we got, we have to moan and groan with what we did not.
6 months ago we had nothing, and now we have 30 new figures in our collections. Yeah it would have been nice to get a few more, but we got what we got so be thankful.

We were so excited to see the TOD figures made, and now that they are arriving, I see a post has already been made about what is wrong with them.
It slays me to no end the amount of negativity about this whole line. Okay the movie was an average movie, not the second coming. This was a good 2 hours to escape reality, and nothing more to me. I see this as another chapter in the series, and that's it. Indy will always be special to me, and maybe there will be 1 more, but then again, maybe it's best to call it quits.
There was a ton of KOTCS figures, and not enough original trilogy, okay we get it, but afterall the figures were used to promote the new movie, not the old ones.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I think the Hasbro Indy line looks pretty dang cool in my toyroom right beside Star Wars. I like Hasbro product and will continue with them for many years. My son and I are already excited about next years new Marvel line, and can't wait to add them to the collection. Keep up the good work Hasbro, you still have a customer with our family. Perhaps down the road we will see more figures, but if we don't, at least in my eyes, this line was a huge success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gun: :gun: :gun:

phantom train

Garfoot said:
It's funny how hope remains alive even though Hasbro has said the line is done. I chatted with the toy manager at my local Walmart, and he said that their particular warehouse still has "a ton" of KOTCS figures, and the store does not want them. I asked if the price reduction helped, and he said that maybe if the figures were thrown in a bin for $1.00 they might sell a few.

Walmart cannot sell these things, so why in the heck would they want more. They don't see the TOD figures as new, only as more Indy figures that won't sell. Optimism is great, but it's time to let Indy rest in peace. We will never see any new figures from this current line. It's done, it's over, there is no chance we will ever see wave 5.

I personally would have never been able to afford the 1980's Indiana jones figures, so I am very grateful to Hasbro that they made this line of figures.
Todays society is so now now now, and more more more, that we can't be happy with what we got, we have to moan and groan with what we did not.
6 months ago we had nothing, and now we have 30 new figures in our collections. Yeah it would have been nice to get a few more, but we got what we got so be thankful.

We were so excited to see the TOD figures made, and now that they are arriving, I see a post has already been made about what is wrong with them.
It slays me to no end the amount of negativity about this whole line. Okay the movie was an average movie, not the second coming. This was a good 2 hours to escape reality, and nothing more to me. I see this as another chapter in the series, and that's it. Indy will always be special to me, and maybe there will be 1 more, but then again, maybe it's best to call it quits.
There was a ton of KOTCS figures, and not enough original trilogy, okay we get it, but afterall the figures were used to promote the new movie, not the old ones.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I think the Hasbro Indy line looks pretty dang cool in my toyroom right beside Star Wars. I like Hasbro product and will continue with them for many years. My son and I are already excited about next years new Marvel line, and can't wait to add them to the collection. Keep up the good work Hasbro, you still have a customer with our family. Perhaps down the road we will see more figures, but if we don't, at least in my eyes, this line was a huge success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gun: :gun: :gun:

Great post - I agree with everything said. Though it's unfortunate that the IJ line will be cancelled, we should be glad with what we have.
I am also happy we finally got IJ figures after years of not having any. Back in the mid-'90's (around the time the SW POTF2 figures came out) I thought it would be a cool idea to resurrect the IJ line, but didn't think they would do so. Obviously, the only reason we have what we do is because of the release of KOTCS.

Also, in almost all cases the new IJ figures are superior to their '80's counterparts. Granted, it would have been nice to have the line continue through 2009 so we could at least have seen re-makes of what was done in the old line (Toht, German Mechanic, etc.), but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

And, though this particular line is being canned this doesn't mean that we won't see IJ figures at some point in the future. If there ever is another IJ film there will probably be figures to promote that, and I guess it's possible we may get IJ figures some other way sometime down the road. One can only hope.

Now, if I can only find the last three LC figures (Elsa, Vogel, and Dr. Henry Jones) and the elusive TOD wave......