If retailers no longer want to carry Indy Figures...

DIrishB

ChromiumBlue37, that was an awesome list of possibilites. Maybe a little heavy on the vehicles/playsets to be realistic, but still, awesome. I know I'd buy just about everything on that list.

ChromiumBlue37

It's sad because the list was inspired by their own line from this year. Hasbro CAN do these things. Do you know that it only costs pennies to make an action figure?

Hasbro could re-use the vehicles for the G.I. Joe line as well.

Looks like I am in the wrong line of work. A lifetime of collecting I should be in the action figure business.

tnswman

The more I think about it, I don't know if even one retailer picking up the Indy line would be enough for Hasbro to make the money they need to pay for the license.

It worked for Gi Joe because Hasbro owns thse rights and they are way in the green for the line.

I would LOVE to see the marketing rights license for the Indy line...I bet it is not that long, I bet Hasbro made enough to pay Lucasfilm and earna little money too...I know they were scared to DEATH of this line. However, they waste sooo much money on Hulk, Spiderman, and such...sure, those toys sell but not any better than Indy.

indyclone25

tnswman said:
The more I think about it, I don't know if even one retailer picking up the Indy line would be enough for Hasbro to make the money they need to pay for the license.

It worked for Gi Joe because Hasbro owns thse rights and they are way in the green for the line.

I would LOVE to see the marketing rights license for the Indy line...I bet it is not that long, I bet Hasbro made enough to pay Lucasfilm and earna little money too...I know they were scared to DEATH of this line. However, they waste sooo much money on Hulk, Spiderman, and such...sure, those toys sell but not any better than Indy.

yeah but marvels deal with hasbro ends next year--- so if they lose the rights and toybiz gets the marvel deal, then hasbro will have to keep indy to make some more money ---

DIrishB

ChromiumBlue37 said:
It's sad because the list was inspired by their own line from this year. Hasbro CAN do these things. Do you know that it only costs pennies to make an action figure?

To make the action figure, yeah. But it costs much more to create the molds for those figures. I don't know how much, but I've heard its quite a bit. Then there's the licensing fees, etc.

Hasbro could re-use the vehicles for the G.I. Joe line as well.

Very true.

Looks like I am in the wrong line of work. A lifetime of collecting I should be in the action figure business.

I feel the same way about the comic book industry.

indyclone25

DIrishB said:
To make the action figure, yeah. But it costs much more to create the molds for those figures. I don't know how much, but I've heard its quite a bit. Then there's the licensing fees, etc.
yeah but what it cost to make the mold for one figure look how many figures they make from each mold and then sell

tnswman

indyclone25 said:
yeah but marvels deal with hasbro ends next year--- so if they lose the rights and toybiz gets the marvel deal, then hasbro will have to keep indy to make some more money ---

Hasbro is really pushing Marvel this year with it's 3 3/4" scale figures as well as the return of Marvel Legends..Once they secure the rights again, Hasbro will just bounce from Movie to movie..They did it all the time with Batman.

The Indy line will be replaced with the Marvel 3 3/4" figures in a lot of stores for sure...That line is going to be pushed like CRAZY.

The bottom line will be What IF sales pick up enough, or WHAT IF retailers just want to keep Indy around, Is Hasbro really ready to produce this line? Let's seriously look at the way they have treated it..they invested serious money in certain molds and now they are packaging them in however many ways it takes to get the money out of those certain figures. I mean the new Target sets would have been a GREAT time for official Kit-Bashes..To be hinest, They should have introduced Marcus in the tank set instead of 2 German troops...That was Marcus's most action oriented moment which would have taken him out of that boring catagory. The Cairo streets set would have been a great place for a TRUE Belloq figure. However, THEY DROPPED THE BALL! I mean COME ON!! You could have used mostly existing molds to make those two figures even.

these re-packs should have been our first clue that Hasbro is NOT interested in making new figures..It should also be telling that TOD did not get a pack which could mean the VERY limited way it will be produced. Even KOTCS got a pack ( WM exclusive ) So...As I keep saying, you better do what you can to get the TOD figures.

kevblee

I agree with that...the TOD figures may be harder to get than the LC figs.....all we can do is hope that is not the case!

ChromiumBlue37

You would think they would have 2 years signed on.

What is staggering to think of is that the line was only released in May. It is now September. Action figures lines don't typically sell very well in the Summer. So in four months of activity, they are going to yank our beloved line? Come on...

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:
You would think they would have 2 years signed on.

What is staggering to think of is that the line was only released in May. It is now September. Action figures lines don't typically sell very well in the Summer. So in four months of activity, they are going to yank our beloved line? Come on...

I know man....Something was said to me that makes me think that Hasbro had a VERY limited contract with the chance to extend if the line succeded.

Also, it seems like most of the "design Team" has moved on.

vf wing

I think the rapidity at which all of this happened could definitely be contributing to a premature end for it.

By all accounts, the deal to make the movie and subsequent arrangements for a figure line came together very quickly. I really look back to the Ford ultimatum of doing something "within the next couple of years" as the catalyst that put the whole ball in motion.

Hasbro came up with some designs very quickly. I give them credit for attempting to do a line for several years, because looking at the figure selection, some much more iconic choices could have been made if they were just in and out for the buck.

The line's chances for longevity would have dramatically increased if they'd gotten it up and running a full year ahead of the film's release. Theoretically, we are approaching a similar kind of time frame right now. I think chances are excellent for an Indy V, and if Clone Wars does well on the small screen, Indy is almost a sure bet to follow in animated form. That's a lot of media support. And an animated show is highly likely to feature a greater bevy of kid-friendly designs.

If the plug must be pulled right now, I hope they would consider trying again while avoiding the same mistakes. It's all in the planning. In the best case scenario, i would hope for a new push for the 2009 holiday season. But to me it'd be even better to just soldier on in scaled-back fashion until it gets that media penetration Hasbro so desperately craves (as do I!).

tnswman

One of the problems that is just a huge reality is how much Hasbro HAD to make to make their investment worth while....It shows because they had to make a TON offigures in hopes of regaining those funds..I'm sure they made their money but in the end, the mass of figures made was nothing more than a numbers game.

The KOTCS offering was terribly small considering the excitement surrounding the movie...A LOT of key KOTCS characters and variations of figures were somehow left out of the mix and it makes NO sense.

phantom train

The interest in any movie action figure line by the general public (i.e., kids) seems to decrease as time passes and the excitment of a given film's theatre release fades (it's already been almost 4 months since the release of KOTCS).

So, I agree with the idea that releasing the IJ toyline a year before the film (to build up excitement for the movie) would have been the best route to take.
They could have released figures from just the first three movies in limited numbers in Spring 2007 (somewhat like the G.I. Joe 25th anniversary RAH figures), and had some more waves in the Summer and Fall.
Then, as the time got closer to the release of KOTCS, they could have increased production, and also released the specific KOTCS figures on May 1st.
This way, right now a 2nd LC or TOD wave would probably have already been released (or in the process of being released), and we would also probably have at least 2 ROTLA waves.

As has been discussed, these figures should have specifically been marketed to collectors instead of just kids.
It's obvious to any of us that the LC figures are selling well (I've only seen the remnants of this wave once, and all they had left were one Young Indy, a couple of Indys w/Tie, and one Grail Knight) and I have no doubt the TOD figures will all sell, and be very tough to find.

So, there is a market out there for these figures. The line has just been handled wrong, which is why it's currently in dire shape.

singsingjohnny

The one line that seems to do well without ANY support from ANY media right now is G.I.Joe...the new figures disappear quickly and never seem to stay on the shelves long. Granted, a Joe movie is coming out next year but this line came out before that was announced and has been selling like hotcakes for the last year and a half.

Why can't the Indy line perform that well? :(

vf wing

A lot of current Joe collectors are drawn in by the return of the card art. The figures are generally more poseable, tho they still lack the swivel knees most IJ figs do. And for a while they were cheaper.

There's also a lot of speculation that Hasbro underproduces Joes in an effort to keep 'em relatively hard to find, which i agree with. Some waves have only come thru my neck of the woods once and that was it. They still get their money's worth out of the figure molds due to the extensive repainting strategies used to generate other characters. GI Joe also has a huge wealth of characters and history to draw upon. IJ not so much.

The more i think about it, the more i see that a new kid-friendly animated series really is the way to go to get a regular figure line. The catch is i would expect to see a lot of designs based off characters from a theoretical new show. But they could justifiably do movie waves too. Every IJ figure fan better cross their fingers for Clone Wars to be a hit!

DIrishB

Clone Wars (the movie) isn't a hit at all. Its been out almost a month and has made $55 million worldwide. The Dark Knight did $67 million in its FIRST DAY (and thats only the domestic gross). Its probably unfair to compare the two, but I think its safe to say Clone Wars isn't a hit. It'll probably be financially successful (even if its only minorly successful), and I'm sure once its released on DVD the rabid SW fans will help with its numbers, but right now its not doing very well (comparatively speaking).

However, I'm positive an animated/CGI Indy film would do MUCH better than Clone Wars. I'm not even sure why, but I'm sure I'm right. An animated/CGI Indy TV show I'm sure would do well also.

And if Indy gets a tv show, a toyline (or continuing this one) is a given. I just hope Hasbro holds out, and the holiday sales are good enough to prompt them to do so.

iLUVINDY

The movie was not made to be a hit, it was just made to launch the new show, basically they just made 55 million, out of no where.... cause they didn't release it to be a HUGE "Dark Knight" release. It was just an excuse for Lucas to make more money. The toys are selling, even though the racks are always full.

DIrishB said:
Clone Wars (the movie) isn't a hit at all. Its been out almost a month and has made $55 million worldwide. The Dark Knight did $67 million in its FIRST DAY (and thats only the domestic gross). Its probably unfair to compare the two, but I think its safe to say Clone Wars isn't a hit. It'll probably be financially successful (even if its only minorly successful), and I'm sure once its released on DVD the rabid SW fans will help with its numbers, but right now its not doing very well (comparatively speaking).

However, I'm positive an animated/CGI Indy film would do MUCH better than Clone Wars. I'm not even sure why, but I'm sure I'm right. An animated/CGI Indy TV show I'm sure would do well also.

And if Indy gets a tv show, a toyline (or continuing this one) is a given. I just hope Hasbro holds out, and the holiday sales are good enough to prompt them to do so.

tnswman

iLUVINDY said:
The movie was not made to be a hit, it was just made to launch the new show, basically they just made 55 million, out of no where.... cause they didn't release it to be a HUGE "Dark Knight" release. It was just an excuse for Lucas to make more money. The toys are selling, even though the racks are always full.

Yes they are..they are selling like crazy...The appeal of Star Wars is going to hit an all time high and I'm glad to see it.

Garfoot

What is going on with retailers today? The possibility of the Indy toy line
being killed off way before it should be, is just another thorn in my side of being a toy collector. I used to collect everything about 10 years ago, now I have limited myself to my 3 favorite movie/toy lines to collect.

First and formost is Star Wars, very slow until 1995 when it took off again and now it's just crazy nuts with all the available figures, and numerous main and secondary characters available (TAKE NOTE HASBRO, WHY NOT GIVE US
AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR OF INDY, AND JUST BOMBARD US WITH EVERYTHING WE WANT BEFORE PULLING THE PLUG)

Next would be Indiana jones. Up till this year, nothing at all to speak of unless you count those crappy Disney figures. Finally the good news with the new Indy movie. I'm so sick of all the Indy bashing of this movie. Was it the best in the series, no, but at least it reintroduced us to Indy, and gave us a new line of figures to enjoy.

Lastly would be Harry Potter. Since Neca took over from Mattell, they have made some awesome looking figures. Great likeness of the actors. The only problem is the lack of retail support for this line. You want to talk about lack of new figures for Indy? Potter fans have gotten only 3 new figures all of 2008 from Neca. They're awesome, but not nearly enough characters are made.
(BY THE WAY, HALF BLOOD PRINCE IS NOT EVEN IN THEATERS FOR 10 MONTHS FROM NOW AND IT IS ALREADY BEING BASHED BY BAD EARLY SCREENINGS)

So when I saw that the TOD figures might be delayed untill NOV/DEC, I thought I would lose it. Come on Hasbro, wise up. You give us great selection of Star Wars. You make every possible character from this series, so give us Indy fans another year to at least have the figures we want made. Limit them in the stores if you must, but give us devoted fans the opportunity to
get them before they go away for another 20 years. I know it doesn't have the appeal of Star Wars, but it does have a huge following. $800 million worldwide on KOTCS proves this. COME ON HASBRO DONT GIVE UP ON INDY.