If Shia Labeouf .....

Blade

wasn't Jewish would he have been chosen as Indy's son?

It appears that Spielrberg is quite racist when choosing who he works with.

Dust McAlan

fail.jpg

Blade

The Man said:
Honestly, Blade, I'm not sure on this one...

The Man, I'm just tust pushing it out. I don't necessarily believe it but I bet david Koepp is pleased he's not called John Smith.

The Man

Blade said:
The Man, I'm just tust pushing it out. I don't necessarily believe it but I bet david Koepp is pleased he's not called John Smith.

Perhaps Koepp should change his name to John Smith. He'd get far more credibility. As regards the Jewish collaborators, Spielberg has become far too cosy with his photographer. He should not have allowed Janus Kaminski to bleach Indy 4 with such abandon. If this guy ever shot a scene set in Heaven, we'd be blinded.

Blade

The Man said:
Perhaps Koepp should change his name to John Smith. He'd get far more credibility. As regards the Jewish collaborators, Spielberg has become far too cosy with his photographer. He should not have allowed Janus Kaminski to bleach Indy 4 with such abandon. If this guy ever shot a scene set in Heaven, we'd be blinded.

good retort..why is spielberg obsessed with him?

OmegaSeamaster

The Man said:

Honestly, Shia really looks like Ford. I think being Jewish was bonus points for him, but I think Spielberg cast him out of a genuine appreciation for his talent. Too bad the movie didn't let him do much.

You gotta believe that Deitrich's line about "I am uncomfortable with this Jewish ritual, are you sure it's necessary," was put in there by Spielberg as a middle-finger to the Nazis, just like he had Indy yank the Mercedes hood ornament off the truck before going underneath it.

deckard24

Blade said:
wasn't Jewish would he have been chosen as Indy's son?

It appears that Spielrberg is quite racist when choosing who he works with.
To be honest Spielberg hasn't come across as racist to me ever! He's talked before about actors he loved working with or always wanted to work with, and they weren't Jewish ie. Eric Bana, Leonardo Dicaprio, Tom Hanks, Liam Neeson, and Tom Cruise! All of those guys are Christian or were at one time in one denomination or another. Bana for God's sake played an Israeli Secret service agent and he's Catholic. He's of mixed Croatian/German heritage, was raised Christian, and was married in a Catholic church.

So no, I don't think LaBeouf's Jewish lineage on his Mom's side is a factor. It probably doesn't hurt, but I don't think that it's why he was picked. Also Spielberg himself grappled with his own religious identity growing up, and only became reaquainted with his faith after the birth of his first son. So it's not like he was driven by his faith and religious heritage to make career specific choices!

The Man

Blade said:
good retort..why is spielberg obsessed with him?

It's probably a convenient relationship. There's a fine line, though, between complacency and laziness. Surely there was a more suitable cinematographer to adopt the style of Slocombe.

|ZiR|

I'd like to think that Spielberg is so obsessed with Labeouf because he's (not so) secretly in love with him, and Shia had all kinds of nasty sex to get the role.

Really, though, Shia's been the golden boy ever since someone dubbed him the "next Tom Hanks." Heck, I think it was even Spielberg who said it.

But what I'm wondering is... if Shia's the next Tom Hanks, does that mean A.J. Trauth is the next Peter Scolari? :p

The Man

|ZiR| said:
I'd like to think that Spielberg is so obsessed with Labeouf because he's (not so) secretly in love with him, and Shia had all kinds of nasty sex to get the role.

Really, though, Shia's been the golden boy ever since someone dubbed him the "next Tom Hanks." Heck, I think it was even Spielberg who said it.

But what I'm wondering is... if Shia's the next Tom Hanks, does that mean A.J. Trauth is the next Peter Scolari? :p

Spielberg has a titanium boner for LaBeouf.

Swindle

Shia is the next up and coming actor. He is whats in in Hollywood right now. It has nothing to do with some kind of Jewish casting conspiracy. He also to fit the look of a boy that Marion and Indy would have. He does look like their son, so its all good.

graz

The Man said:
It's probably a convenient relationship. There's a fine line, though, between complacency and laziness. Surely there was a more suitable cinematographer to adopt the style of Slocombe.

You guys certainly analyse your films! I may be stupid, but I kind of thought the stark, bleached look of the Doomtown sequence was deliberate. It made Indy look ill at ease and almost in the wrong period. The later scenes in the tombs and jungles didn't seem much different from similar things in previous films to me.

When I see it on DVD I'll have a closer look and see if I can understand what you're on about! (y)

No Ticket

He picked Shia because he has a good screen presence about him that makes him interesting. Akin to some of the big stars we've seen of the past who are fading as they get older and their careers dwindle down a bit.

In other words he could be the next "big thing" and Spielberg has the power to make that happen. I don't think he is racist. He just likes the kid.

Even I think he's a good actor. Nay, a great one. For the kind of character the he portrays.

MolaRam2

Swindle said:
Shia is the next up and coming actor. He is whats in in Hollywood right now. It has nothing to do with some kind of Jewish casting conspiracy. He also to fit the look of a boy that Marion and Indy would have. He does look like their son, so its all good.

I don't get what people see in Shia. He doesn't have much of a personality or screen presence like Harrison Ford and Karen Allen do. Shia is just a regular person acting, he doesn't come across as anything special. Why Spielberg is obssessed with Shia is beyond me.

The Man

MolaRam2 said:
I don't get what people see in Shia. He doesn't have much of a personality or screen presence like Harrison Ford and Karen Allen do. Shia is just a regular person acting, he doesn't come across as anything special. Why Spielberg is obssessed with Shia is beyond me.

Spielberg is also involved to some degree with Eagle Eye, Shia's next movie...