If you were Russian...

The Golden Idol

...Would you be offended by KOTCS? I'm sure many of you know that Russia's Communist Party (yes it still exists) was deeply offended by the film and even wanted to ban it in Russia.

Now, that's just the CP, but I heard that many Russians generally were upset by the movie. If you were Russian, would you be upset by the portrayal of Russians and the Soviet Union in this movie?

Last edited:

IndyJr.

I'll answer... If I were Russian I would have mixed feelings (assuming I had seen the previous 3), but they did pick out one whole group of people as the villains ,as the Indians in ToD (German's don't count because the villains were Nazi's which aren't around today (on a large scale; we still have the brain dead Skinheads)). I'd say I would not like the film all that well. But since I am not Russian, I love the film.

Raider S

Oh please, why would anyone get upset by a cartoon kids movie? Really, there are hundreds of stories set in Cold War times that nobody ever got in a twist about. It's all just an attention getter. I think folks in Russia should be more concerned about their own economy and the hard line path their leaders seem to be heading down rather than Indy running after ET's skull!

The Golden Idol

Raider S said:
Oh please, why would anyone get upset by a cartoon kids movie?

I take it you don't like KOTCS?

Raider S said:
Really, there are hundreds of stories set in Cold War times that nobody ever got in a twist about. It's all just an attention getter. I think folks in Russia should be more concerned about their own economy and the hard line path their leaders seem to be heading down rather than Indy running after ET's skull!

I wasn't asking what the Russians should be doing, I asked how YOU would feel about the movie if YOU were Russian.

Gear

Why would anyone be offended?

Seriously, that would be righteously petty.

In short: No :rolleyes:

nitzche said:
I don't think Indy 4 was released on VHS, so I am sure the Russians haven't seen it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! hIGh FiVe!

Raider S

Yeah, I did like the movie. So what?

Some movies have Americans as "bad guys" and I don't get offended. Especially not when they're popcorn movies.

Russians don't REALLY care about this; it was a baloney bull**** story to begin with.

Kooshmeister

IndyJr. said:
I'll answer... If I were Russian I would have mixed feelings (assuming I had seen the previous 3), but they did pick out one whole group of people as the villains ,as the Indians in ToD (German's don't count because the villains were Nazi's which aren't around today (on a large scale; we still have the brain dead Skinheads)). I'd say I would not like the film all that well. But since I am not Russian, I love the film.

Crystal Skull did the same thing. The villains in this were Soviets first, Russians second. Similarly, the bad guys in Temple of Doom were Thuggee first, Indians second. Neither movie depicts one entire race or nationality as evil.

Are Thuggee and Soviets still around in any appreciable numbers, either?

McSeem

Well, I am Russian and I wasn?t offended with an portrayal of the Red Army in KOTCS. In fact, this movie even flatters our country: it shows unrealistically incredible power of our military forces, main troop leader?s strict discipline and straight thirst for knowledge, etc. Let?s count up compliments for Russia in this movie:

1. Russian agents took over the top secret US military base in just five minutes, without any losses in manpower.
2. Irina Spalko is clearly a great character, one of the best Indy?s enemies of all time. And she always gets what she wants.
3. Russian soldiers looks like a real people with hearts and soul (remember opening scene, when soldier driver breaks the order and joining the crazy car chase with kids), not like that gun-armed dummies in ?Rambo 3? or something.
4. Funny, but there is no criticism of communism, instead of that we got bad capitalist guy, who betrayed his friends and country for an easy money. Just like in old commie?s propaganda tales.
5. During all movie Russians never drink vodka. ;) Even in the camp tired soldiers just playing music and dancing. By the way, in reality they?d rather sing some nostalgic songs with an acoustic guitar accompaniment. There?s a lot of Russian songs about home, parents, love and friendship that was very popular in time of WWII. But balalaika is okay too.
6. Russians brings to Peruvian jungle a lot of impressive machines: amphibian jeeps that can survive one or two fallings from a giant waterfall, bullet-proof trucks that doesn?t get damaged by intense fire from Kalashnikovs, and, of course, absolutely fantastic Jungle-Cutter. :)

Of course, this movie can?t be taken seriously, and I pretty much understand that every villainy race in all Indiana Jones movies must be shown in a humorous, satirical way. But some friends of mine doesn?t get that. Here in Russia some cinema lovers were disappointed by the fact that their all-time favorite movie hero, Indiana Jones, now fighting with Soviet Union. Sure, all Soviets were commies and that?s not a great part of history to be proud of, but they also were our parents and grandfathers. And I must admit that it was much more easier for us to see Nazi Germans as bad guys.

There were many disputes in Russian message boards since 2007 or even earlier. Some of us didn?t like the idea of using Cold War theme in an Indy movie, some like it, and some didn?t care much about it. In the end, most of complaints were addressed to the fridge, monkeys and waterfalls scenes.

McSeem

nitzsche said:
I don't think Indy 4 was released on VHS, so I am sure the Russians haven't seen it.
Oh, and what about $8 300 000 of Russian money in KOTCS box-office in just one first weekend (05/22-05/28)? :gun:

nitzsche

McSeem said:
Oh, and what about $8 300 000 of Russian money in KOTCS box-office in just one first weekend (05/22-05/28)? :gun:

(y) I know! I was playing. R5 releases are always highly anticipated.