In the ship fight scene in LC....

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
He needed to escape from the henchmen, and the only way to do that was to jump into the water. It seems to me that Indy was already trying to escape when he got caught, which is why the life raft is already in the water.

Finn

Staff member
Aaron H said:
He needed to escape from the henchmen, and the only way to do that was to jump into the water. It seems to me that Indy was already trying to escape when he got caught, which is why the life raft is already in the water.
Yeah, it wasn't exactly a passenger liner, but a private cargo ship full of goons. I don't think that just flashing the cross and telling them "Hi, I'm the stowaway who just stole this thingy from your boss... err... wouldn't you mind dropping me off at the next port?" would have worked.

IndySeven

Because he got the Cross of Coronado and the ship was about to blow up, so he decided that it was time to go.:)

oki9Sedo

Nobody seems to have read my second post. He jumps off into the water, THEN the explosives come loose and blew up the ship, and THEN, low and behold, a life raft happens to float from the wreckage towards him.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
oki9Sedo said:
Nobody seems to have read my second post. He jumps off into the water, THEN the explosives come loose and blew up the ship, and THEN, low and behold, a life raft happens to float from the wreckage towards him.
And I think you failed to read my post. The reason the raft was in the water is because Indy put it there. Here is the scene:
Indy has just stolen the Cross, again, from Panama Hat. As he is trying to sneak away over the side of the ship into the life raft he just launched, the goons show up and get their Boss. But before he comes the goons decide to "soften" Indy up a bit...enter the rest of the scene.

Make sense?

oki9Sedo

Aaron H said:
And I think you failed to read my post. The reason the raft was in the water is because Indy put it there. Here is the scene:
Indy has just stolen the Cross, again, from Panama Hat. As he is trying to sneak away over the side of the ship into the life raft he just launched, the goons show up and get their Boss. But before he comes the goons decide to "soften" Indy up a bit...enter the rest of the scene.

Make sense?

Wouldn't the life raft have floated far away by the time Indy actually manages to jump off the side of the boat?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
oki9Sedo said:
Wouldn't the life raft have floated far away by the time Indy actually manages to jump off the side of the boat?
It was fairly far away by the time Indy manages to swim to it. It had to been, otherwise Indy would be burned to a crisp by the explosion.

otto rahn

Uki said:
Those are good reasons. All of those, and um...it's Indiana Jones!
Or perhaps more specifically it's PULP ! That sort of "happy coincidence" happens all the time in the serials and films that the series is pastiching !

oki9Sedo

Professor Jones said:
It's really incredible you're discussing about such insignificant thing. nonsense, really nonsense.

[image cut] Not appropo for the Raven.

Last edited by a moderator:

indyfan85

What I never got was this bit of dialogue

"It belongs in a museum"

"so do yoooou!"

Why does he say that, if it has something to do with age, the guy is clearly older than Jones! :confused:

oki9Sedo

indyfan85 said:
What I never got was this bit of dialogue

"It belongs in a museum"

"so do yoooou!"

Why does he say that, if it has something to do with age, the guy is clearly older than Jones! :confused:

Its not because of his age, its because he's following an old code that has no place in the world, as Panama Hat sees it.

Either that or he's making a grim joke about Indy being about to be killed.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
oki9Sedo said:
Its not because of his age, its because he's following an old code that has no place in the world, as Panama Hat sees it.

Either that or he's making a grim joke about Indy being about to be killed.
That is very insightful...I suppose I never really put much thought to it. Belloq makes reference to he and Indy being relics of times past too.

Professor Jones

Guys this is TOOOO MUCH insightful... the joke is quite obvious: Indy is an archaeologist, so he should stay in a museum researching on books and in libraries rather than chase a man from country to country all his life long... It's a joke... you're vivisectioning some work of art!!!!