Indiana a female?

dr.jones1986

I was watching "Travels with Father" and noticed that in that episode when Indy tells Tolstoy about his dog, he mentions that Indiana is a female. I thought about it and realized that in non of the other episodes or any other part of the Indiana Jones canon for that matter is the dog ever mentioned to be male. I guess I always just assumed it was a male...maybe cause ive always had male dogs. Does anybody remember any place where Indiana is refered to as "him" ?

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
The dog is never referred to as a male. He is a she.:)

I actually went back to watch the first episode of the show, and at the start of the episode when Indy puts the dog in the ballon, he talks about how the dog would have been alone all by "himself" on the moon. So it is refered to as both during the show.

Stoo

Really? Then that's a screw-up in the new narration by C.Carrier because it's not in the original series!:eek: Nice discovery, 1986.:)

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that Lucas' dog (who it's based on) was a female which was meant to be the determining factor of the breed.

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Really? Then that's a screw-up in the new narration by C.Carrier because it's not in the original series!:eek: Nice discovery, 1986.:)

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that Lucas' dog (who it's based on) was a female which was meant to be the determining factor of the breed.

Ya im positive i caught that when i watched it earlier today...and does anybody know for sure what gender Lucas's dog was? That would be the ultimate decider.

By the way i looked at the ultimate guide, which doesnt mention the dogs sex...but the lost journal says the dog is a male.

Stoo

I noticed that in "Lost Journal" as well but there is a truckload of conflicting information in that book.:(

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
I noticed that in "Lost Journal" as well but there is a truckload of conflicting information in that book.:(

ya ive noticed unfortunatly they could have done a better job of putting it together.

Dayne

really? someone should start a new thread detailing the continuity errors made in The Lost Journal. That would be interesting

Lao_Che

dr.jones1986 said:
...and does anybody know for sure what gender Lucas's dog was? That would be the ultimate decider.

Female. There's a comment by Lucas somewhere discussing Indiana as inspiration for Chewbacca and stating that Chewbacca is a girl because of Indiana's gender.

He may or may not have been joking. ;)

Stoo

Lao_Che said:
Chewbacca is a girl because of Indiana's gender.
Can you imagine Malla's reaction when she found out?:p Thanks for chiming in, Lao Che.:hat:

180px-lucasindiana.jpg

Here's an oldie...but a goodie. Who remembers "Indiana Wants Me" (by R.Dean Taylor)?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've always been of the belief that Indiana was a female, ergo Indiana was named after a b!tch. :p

AnnieJones

The puppy that they used as puppy Indiana,in My First Adventure,was a female.How do I know that?Well,I guess you could say that I...uh...checked.

Last edited:

AnnieJones

The dog that they used to portray the adult Indiana dog in My First Adventure kind of looked like a male(which means that he was playing the part of a female).They weren't very good views of the dog,so I'm not 100% sure if the dog was a male playing the part of a female or if the dog was a female playing the part of a female.Maybe,the deleted footage would have a better view.

Lao_Che

AnnieJones said:
The dog that they used to portray the adult Indiana dog in My First Adventure kind of looked like a male(which means that he was playing the part of a female).They weren't very good views of the dog,so I'm not 100% sure if the dog was a male playing the part of a female or if the dog was a female playing the part of a female.Maybe,the deleted footage would have a better view.

220px-Sallaaaaahh.jpg