Indiana Jones 4 - Predictions!!!

daveindyjones

Hello Everyone!

Long time Indy fan here...and hoping to share the Indy passion with fellow fans. My favorite moment is standing in line at the Mann's Chinese theater on Memorial weekend 1984 opening first show of TOD and being on camera with CBS news among the hordes.

So here's my take on Indy IV:

Shia is Indy Jones Jr.
Abner is NOT Dead and helps Indy with the quest!
Indy is searching for the Garden of Eden

I could be wrong on all 3, but I think I might be on to something.

And here's my fourth prediction:

Indy passes the hat to Indy Jr....and three years later a new trilogy is set in motion starring Indy Jr aka Shia La Bouf and the adventures of Indy continue.

What say you?

Since this is a rumor thread....I'll do this to be considerate....Possible SPOILERS

Well according to the rumors various website have been posting you are right on a few of those. Not on Eden though.

Echo22

I was thinking the same thing on the passing of the hat. Hope that doesn't happen - but I could see it. I would just love for them to leave it open for further adventures of the 50's Indy. Whether it be book or video game. Or, of course, film. I just don't see the younger character that we've been looking at pictures of riding the bike through New Haven having the same interest or knowledge of archaeology. That's a major part of what makes these movies so special. Yeah, throw in the tanks, trucks, weaponry, Russians, etc - but the ancient mysteries are what make the films - and the characters, of course. But, you never know - motorcycles, hair product, and archaeology could all be his favorite hobbies.

Shia as Indy Jr. - probably
Garden of Eden - Doubt it. But who knows? It would make for a good story.

Good predictions.
(y)

PS. Indiana Dave - great name. They used to call me that at one time.

daveindyjones

Thanks Echo!

Indy is my favorite hero as I grew up with him since seeing Raiders on the big screen. We all have waited for Indy to return for so long, but I believe the filmmakers are ready to make a few Indy movies. If you go back in time and see American Graffiti, you'll see an uncanny resemblence of a young Harrison Ford to Shia La Bouf. Also by the time a new trilogy is announced and ready to film Shia will be in his mid to late twenties, making him a perfect Indy with the timeline in the 1960's and later early 70's...where you have a lot of plot possibilities and new gadgetry to use. Seeing Shia and Indy shooting at the University makes me think the son's picking his dad up from lecture. They may also talk about learning Latin and Greek languages ("count in Greek" ala LC) so Shia maybe studying to be an archaelogist like his father at age 20 and by the time the next trilogy rolls around he could be in his late twenties (Ford in Star Wars and later in Raiders age early thirties) making Shia a seasoned scientist.

Also the next Indy Trilogy may offer a fresh take kinda like the new Bond...and we may get new directors like Michael Bay and others point of view like Lucas did for Empire and Jedi and Spielberg did for Jurassic 3. All imho.

Inbanana

Shia is Indy Jones Jr.

- I think we can all pretty much agree on that now...

Abner is NOT Dead and helps Indy with the quest!

- Hmm... my guess is that Abner won't have a big role in this one. If we do see him, it might be in a church scene...

Indy is searching for the Garden of Eden

- There's also fountain of youth rumors... but I still think he's going after some kind of alien artifact... whether or not we see crystal skulls or Aztec pyramids, I'm not sure...

Indy passes the hat to Indy Jr....and three years later a new trilogy is set in motion starring Indy Jr aka Shia La Bouf and the adventures of Indy continue.

- Its not just Harrison getting older, but Lucas and Spielberg are too. Shia probably has a long career ahead of him, but I think some of those old folks are starting to think about retirement... then again, a spin-off trilogy with Shia sounds like something the Beards would want to do. I wouldn't mind if they tried to whip out a couple more Indy's with Harrison really quick (that way I could get another chance at trying to be an extra... he he), but with the time it took just to make this one, I don't think anyone believes thats going to happen...

What say you?

- I definitely think its true that the Russians are the bad guys this time with Cate Blanchett as one of the main baddies, but I'll make a wild guess just for fun and say that she was also a former love interest of Dr. Jones, which we will find out in the opening action sequence...

- Lets see, some more wild guesses... Ray Winstone is an undercover spy, Jim Broadbent plays an Area 51 scientist...

- Indy makes an honest woman out of Maroin...

Thats all i got.

joelwatts

Let's really take a look at this. What do we know? Can we generate plausibilities and pobabilities from what we do know?

What we know FOR CERTAIN:
Year is 1957
Shia character is a biker/greaser
Air Force Base is a location
College campus/town is a location
GL's McGuffin is described as being, "too connected" by SS and HF.
After getting SS and HF to agree to McGuffin, GL says they will have to remove the "offensive" parts.

What we think we know (but unconfirmed):
Shia character is Indy's son
Hurt character is Ravenwood
Universal set is for Indy 4
Blanchett character a baddie
Indy sees old rival in opening scene

Okay, based on that, here is what I am offering. First of all, "too connected" doesn't seem to be a good description of a fountian of youth plot. That would be better characterised as "too similar." "Too connected" would seem to mean a connection to one of the other films, like rereiving a stolen Ark from the Soviets (just my example, not a prediction).

Now, I can't imagine what about a McGuffin would be so offensive that it need be removed from the final story. Perhaps something that might offend Christians or Jews in the U.S., like uncovering an Atlantean origin that contradicts Judeo-Christian origin teachings.

I think Shia's greaser character precludes him from being a college student, and also from being any kind of archeaology student. The greaser seems too much of a one-dimensional character (not that that can't change as the story progresses).

Air Force Base implies the U.S. government is involved.

The Universal set might fit into an Atlantean story- especially considering there are Atlantean/Central American connections.

The old rival may or may not be from another movie- but who is still alive? Loa Che's son (although I wouldn't call him a rival), Fedora (possibly), I don;t know. Maybe Indy is still trying to traack down the fertility idol. Opening sequence in Marakesh?

Any additions?

Echo22

Didn't know about the "old rival" part - That could be very cool. But, it does not mean it's someone from a past movie. Belloq was an old rival when we were first introduced to him.
Just a thought.
Now I'm even more intrigued, though. But that may be something I wait to figure out in the theatre.

More food for thought: Does it necessarily have to be a rival in archaeology? What if it's Shia's step-father? This skips a few steps, though. First we need to know if he plays Indy's son. Probable, but not definite.
But, "rival" could mean all sorts of things. There's a big window in time to work with.

My prediction....Blanchett a rival - but not necessarily evil. Just major competition for Jones. Shia's the son. Broadbent is the headmaster at Marshall College. Winstone is the muscle behind Blanchett and John Hurt. Hurt is the true villain. No Abner.
......Unless the Ark is involved - Then it gets turned around completely. Hurt would be Abner. Blanchett and Winstone the main villains. Shia is still Jr.'s junior. Indy would be racing against the Americans and the Soviets to destroy the Ark (because he is one of only two people that know what it can really do). Could be a great full-circle story-line.
We shall see. (y)

joelwatts

If I recall, the "old rival" was quoted as being "from one of the other films," but that could be a mistake. The person who quoted was just an extra, I think. It could be totally false for all we know.

Based on my previous post, If I had to make a prediction it would be that the McGuffin is something from one of the other films, and it's signifigance is contradictory to what most Americans believe about the past (a la Davinci Code). That's the only thing I can make out of GL's comments about the McGuffin. Based on the Universal set pics, I'm leaning toward some kind of Atlantis connection. That also supports the Area 51 idea, but I'm not sold on that aspect of it yet. If Abner is back, then the McGuffin has to have something to do with the Ark, I would think, since that was his area of expertise.

daveindyjones

By the way the universal studios set pic could be from the upcoming Mummy 3 (July 08)...talk about cashing in on the Jones Boys....IMDB shows the story line as Rick and his now adult son going to China and meeting with Jet Lee (The new Mummy!)...sounds like a cross between IJ4 and IJ Emperor's Tomb.

daveindyjones said:
By the way the universal studios set pic could be from the upcoming Mummy 3 (July 08)...talk about cashing in on the Jones Boys....IMDB shows the story line as Rick and his now adult son going to China and meeting with Jet Lee (The new Mummy!)...sounds like a cross between IJ4 and IJ Emperor's Tomb.

By all indications, the script isn't very good though.

We've had the rumour that Shia will be revealed as Indy's son in a pivotal chase scene. I can't help thinking that its this New Haven one.

A scenario I can see working is that Indy is investigating some artifact/myth that has Russian spies interested. Concurrently, the CIA/feds/whoever decide to move in on him, suspecting him of red allegiances (maybe a soviet spy got involved in his research, unbeknownst to Indy). Somehow, maybe through Abner Ravenwood having contacts who know of Indy's research, there is a tip off that Indy is to be raided. Indy notices these people moving in and starts to run. Shia was told by Abner/whoever to keep an eye on Indy that day and get him out of harms way. Indy is on the run round campus and ends up next top this kid on a bike - who is there intentionally - who says "hop on". Having no other option at this time Indy trusts him and jumps on. Then we have the rest of the chase scene. At some part, or at the end, with Indy asking him "who the hell are you", he gets told he's his son.

Cue the main part of the adventure, with Indy wanting to get the artifact ahead of both the Soviets and the US Government, with kid in tow, who is wholly out of his element, meaning its still an Indy flick - he's the action hero. It could also give the extra "Beleivable" inmpetus for Indy at 58 to really throw himself around a bit, if he's motivated not only by a very powerful artifact but also has to save the neck of his kid, something he'd lay down his life for.

As another bit of a guess, given the combinations of sidekicks/indy girls we've had so far, how about Blanchett is the head Soviet honcho baddie from the out-set, but then turns good near the end, seeing Indy's point of view, and helping him keep the artifact away from everybody. She could fall for him or something, but eventually die to stop it getting too schmalzy.

A stream of consciousness, and utter guesses, but I've been sturggling to think of ways certain plot points and character developments could work in a plausible manner. And also how the main "reveals" (Indy is the father/Blanchett is the babe and the baddie) can be different than before and not so cliche-ridden.

Joe Brody

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else, but this is my take on the the nuke rumor and the new footage showing Indy being held by two G.I.'s.

If the New Mexico scene is actually set in the American Southwest and it really is the opening segment, my guess is that Indy is trying to save some Indian relics in advance of a nuclear test. He gets arrested and is rumored to be a Red.

How does Indy get out of Military custody? Well a timely intervention by Robert Oppenheimer would be too cool but he was toast by '57, so perhaps the rumors about Albert Einstein may work here but I guess he was really toast by '57 as well.

After being labled as a possible Red, Uncle Sam gets all J. Edgar Hoover on Indy's @ss and dog Indy for the rest of the film. For the first time since Raiders Indy will have multiple antagonists (note the Order of the Cruciform Sword doesn't count). That dude from The Departed (who couldn't act worth a **** in The Talented Mr. Ripley is gonna be Major Eaton Part Deux (to steal a phrase).

Last edited:

AHegele

Joe Brody said:
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else, but this is my take on the the nuke rumor and the new footage showing Indy being held by two G.I.'s.

If the New Mexico scene is actually set in the American Southwest and it really is the opening segment, my guess is that Indy is trying to save some Indian relics in advance of a nuclear test. He gets arrested and is rumored to be a Red.

How does Indy get out of Military custody? Well a timely intervention by Robert Oppenheimer would be too cool but he was toast by '57, so perhaps the rumors about Albert Einstein may work here but I guess he was really toast by '57 as well.

After being labled as a possible Red, Uncle Sam gets all J. Edgar Hoover on Indy's @ss and dog Indy for the rest of the film. For the first time since Raiders Indy will have multiple antagonists (note the Order of the Cruciform Sword doesn't count). That dude from The Departed (who couldn't act worth a **** in The Talented Mr. Ripley is gonna be Major Eaton Part Deux (to steal a phrase).

Nice guess. I like it alot actually. Everything except the Ray Winston bit, he is a fantastic actor.

AHegele

in addition...

PREDICITIONS (or ideas)
- Perhaps Shia is not Indy's son, but a student. Indy gives a lecture on how this profession is about learning, reading, no x-marks the spot/maps to buried treasure, ect. He notices the baddies after class, wants to chase them, see Shia, his student getting on a bike, Indy hops on to chase.

- If it has to do with the ark, i like the idea floating around that both the USSR and America wants it for its power.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'll guess that the Nevada nuclear test occurs before 1957, maybe 1953.

Operations Ranger, Buster-Jangle— 1951 (12 tests)
Operation Tumbler-Snapper — 1952 (8 tests)
Operation Upshot-Knothole — 1953 (11 tests)
Operation Teapot — 1955 (13 tests)
Operation Plumbbob — 1957 (29 tests)

roundshort

Moedred said:
Operation Tumbler-Snapper ? 1952 (8 tests)
Operation Upshot-Knothole ? 1953 (11 tests)

In my best TEMPLE OF JOHN VOICE

I know these movies!

In my best Roundshort voice
sorry this is just too easy!