Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - coming in 2024

Dr.Jonesy

I'm mixed so far. Some of it looks promising but other aspects leave me cold.
Nailed it, for me.

The Bad -

For one, I was worried it'd be first-person, since MachineGames has only made first-person games thus far. Bummer, really. You've got one of the most visually iconic film characters in history - and you just don't get to see him during gameplay?

That's a big 'oof', for me.

Also, I'm likely in the minority on this one, but I was hoping something a bit more bold than 'Nazis in the '30s' for the villains. I'd love to have seen them extend Indy lore into maybe the '40s, with different villains a la Temple of Doom.

The title is really underwhelming. Why not something like Indiana Jones and the Circle of the Ancients, or something?

The Good -

The gameplay looks fun. The fighting looks fun. The fact that they do change the perspective so you can see Indy during the big action moments is a good consolation prize, at least.

The environments look amazing. The story seems cool. Marcus being there is a bonus. The developers seem truly passionate.

The characters look interesting. The action set-pieces look grand. The puzzles look promising AF and I love the developers' philosophy on the game/Indy.

It's coming this year - which is great news.

I'm still stoked for the game, though.

For those that missed it -

dprog

I'm not currently in a suitable place to watch this trailer. Does the game have brawler type combat ? Or they are just making combat similar to a FPS game ?

dprog

If you guys didn't know, you could kinda play Emperor's Tomb in first person perspective.(Which was used to aim manually with guns)

Dr.Jonesy

Good God, can someone ELSE voice a character besides Troy 'Ego-The-Size-Of-Earth' Baker?

Love the game's artwork, though.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jonesy9906753

If you guys didn't know, you could kinda play Emperor's Tomb in first person perspective.(Which was used to aim manually with guns)
Right, but the ability to shift between BOTH of those perspectives should be available to the player.

I get the sense that they are using this first person as a crutch for their third person not being up to snuff.

dprog

In my opinion, they probably should have given this Indiana Jones game to Tango gameworks. They at least could make a 3rd person type Indy game.

Dr.Jonesy

My petty complaint -

I was also a bit miffed to see them show the titles of the Indiana Jones films...and they skip the last two films. I know that seems like a silly thing to be upset about - but it just furthers the 'InDY Is OnLY 3 MoVIeS!!!!' mantra we see with a sect of fans. That separatism. Can we just...please include the other films, please? They're part of the family.

Especially since they've put the satchel over his leather jacket - which only occurred in the two films they neglected mentioning.

Damon

I like what I'm seeing. Not so happy with the first person, but everything else looks really fun and I'm sure there will quickly be a third-person mod somewhere out there.

MrEdcar007

Watching the trailer again, my opinion is more positive. The game looks incredible, after Dial's box office I was worried they might cut corners, man was I wrong.

The gameplay is something that I have to get used to though. That, and Troy Baker.

TheFedora

Curious now that the timeline has it being set between raiders and crusade. Wonder how the 'great circle' connects jungle, himalayas and pyramids... it soudns suspiciously....

like how atlantis had its artifacts strewn around all the old civilizations in fate of atlantis

Finn

Staff member
My petty complaint -

I was also a bit miffed to see them show the titles of the Indiana Jones films...and they skip the last two films. I know that seems like a silly thing to be upset about - but it just furthers the 'InDY Is OnLY 3 MoVIeS!!!!' mantra we see with a sect of fans. That separatism. Can we just...please include the other films, please? They're part of the family.
Didn't they also skip ToD - because they used the titles to explain where the game takes place in relation to the movies: between RotLA and LC. So it makes perfect sense in context.

Also, stop using the forum like a live chat room. If you have something to add and the edit window is open, edit the post.

Dr.Jonesy

Didn't they also skip ToD - because they used the titles to explain where the game takes place in relation to the movies: between RotLA and LC. So it makes perfect sense in context.
At the opening when they were talking about the series - they showed the film titles for the first three and stopped at Crusade. They did not skip Temple.

Later, when discussing the timeline - they did skip Temple, for context.

Texas

It was awesome seeing Marcus Brody again. Do ya'll think we'll see Sallah and Henry Jones Sr. make an appearance in this game too?

PilotJohnGrant

Troy Baker's a weird one for me coz I thought he sounded quite Harrison Ford'ish in Bioshock Infinite but he's also got such a recognizable voice as soon as I heard him in the trailer I went 'that's Troy Baker'.

VP

Moderator Emeritus

Finn

Staff member
At the opening when they were talking about the series - they showed the film titles for the first three and stopped at Crusade. They did not skip Temple.
Huh, yeah, they did. You're right, it's kind of a petty complaint, but a valid one regardless.

It was awesome seeing Marcus Brody again. Do ya'll think we'll see Sallah and Henry Jones Sr. make an appearance in this game too?
Senior's appearance would be kinda continuity-breaking, as the game takes place before LC. One of the locations featured is Egypt, so Sallah appearing would make perfect sense.

MrEdcar007

Troy Baker's a weird one for me coz I thought he sounded quite Harrison Ford'ish in Bioshock Infinite but he's also got such a recognizable voice as soon as I heard him in the trailer I went 'that's Troy Baker'.
The moment he smiled at that Nazi in the beggining, I just shouted "Troy Baker".
The rest of it was just his voice with a few Ford moments, he even does some finger pointing ala Ford.

I don't hate the guy, and he has done great work in the past (my favorite being the Brother in Arms games), but it is such a safe choice.

By the way, is it me or the museum thief is played by Tony Todd?