Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - coming in 2024

Bjorn Heimdall

Wait, you were NOT being sarcastic?

In any case, the hive mind of Wikipedia doesn't have a high opinion of Mr. Hancock either. It's right there in the lede.
I watched some of that Netflix thing he had going but quickly gave up on that. It's not even laugh out loud funny stuff like Ancient Aliens can at least sometimes be. Just some journalist that has different ideas than archeologists. Or, which might be more likely, makes up different ideas to profit from it.

Last edited:

michael

Right, but the ability to shift between BOTH of those perspectives should be available to the player.

I get the sense that they are using this first person as a crutch for their third person not being up to snuff.

i agree with this. The Uncharted games PERFECTED third person adventure. It would have to live up to those, which are essentially 'Indy' games.

That said, FPS games that aren't COD can be amazing and immersive. Bioshock Infinite for example, Troy Baker too lol....if the combat is even just half as good as something like Bioshock Infinite, then I think this game has a great chance to be fun.

Grizzlor

Not a fan of first person for Indiana Jones. Baker is a pro, but the voice is not quite deep enough. I did like how they got Harrison's mannerisms though in the cut scenes. Seems like it will be a fun game, though I don't even own a modern console!

DudeRaider

I'm curious about the story. I think they said the game starts with Indy at Marshall College stumbling into Tony Todd's character breaking in to steal a relic. If so, it'll be strange to start without a typical Indy teaser. I'm excited for more Marcus Brody. It seems like they may be going back a little bit to how in Raiders, he was sort of the father figure to Indy. We'll see, I guess.

Lance Quazar

"Jerk Gustafsson: A “great circle” is any circle that divides a sphere in half. On Earth, the most well-known one is obviously the equator. But they can exist from any point really, and are used heavily in aviation when plotting your course. It turns out there is a very real and mysterious great circle that is not the equator, but one that connects many of history’s greatest historical sites such as Giza, Easter Island, Sukhothai, Nazca, and many more. Their connection has remained a mystery, and this provides the perfect adventure for our game."

Aliens. Calling it. the slip about aviation tells it.
No. It wasn't "a slip," it was an illustration. It will definitely not be aliens.

I had to step off the floor at work to watch this trailer, holy smokes!! This looks GREAT!!!!
Get back to work!

You're not a Graham Hancock fan then ? He makes a pretty compelling case, if you actually take the time to read his books...
Please tell me you're joking. He's a complete pseudoscientific fraud.

Toht's Arm

That was...fine? It seems very safe. And in response to a couple of suggestions, I cannot imagine them going for ancient aliens, considering the other comments with regards to MachineGames avoiding the last two films entirely...

I must admit, part of me is probably trying to avoid getting excited about it, since I only really play games on the PS5 and Switch...

Kukulcan

I got some inside info that they are aiming for a ‘24 release if development keeps inside their current planning.
Sorry guys n gals, I want to enjoy this "I told you so" moment :D

I must admit, after what Todd Howard told last year, I wasn't sure if my source got that correct.

fedoraboy

I've not properly played video games for decades, so am very much out of the loop in terms of what's considered good and popular etc, but I do think this looks terrific - the characters and locations look incredibly well realised and the story is intriguing. It might not be enough to tempt me to get an X Box (though never say never!), but it's great to see an Indy game so close to being photo-realisitc - the technology has come on so much since the brilliant Emperor's Tomb (well, I guess Staff of Kings is most recent but that felt like a step backwards in every way!)! The story does seem more intriguing than perhaps either of the most recent cinema outings, and this might be the closest thing we ever get to another Indy movie, although...

One think I noticed is that the look and voice of Indy does seem to be a sort of interpretation of Ford's performance rather than a direct impersonation. I imagine the technology exists to make the character look a lot more like Ford if they want, and certainly the voice in Emperor's Tomb felt closer to his. I'm wondering if this is deliberate, and they're trying to subtly move the character away from Ford, sort of testing the water for a recast at some point down the line...

emtiem

I must admit, fun though it looks, there’s just something ‘not Indy’ about this for me. The style hasn’t quite been captured… maybe it’ll work better in the final thing.

I'm curious about the story. I think they said the game starts with Indy at Marshall College stumbling into Tony Todd's character breaking in to steal a relic. If so, it'll be strange to start without a typical Indy teaser.

It looks like Indy is confronting him though (with finger!) so maybe that’s how the teaser plays.

Indy’s carrying an IMCO Triplex Super 6700…

He’s a total kleptomaniac with an odd proclivity toward lighters apparently. First Elsa’s now Marion’s…

Oh nice spot: I just thought it was a Ronson but your eye is keener!

Is that guy with the big vase at the end an Italian Blackshirt?

MarshallCollegeDropout

I'm happy to see that a few people brought up the satchel outside the jacket here. I first saw that and thought, "oh cool, this takes place after Crusade," and then they showed the timeline of it being between Raiders and Crusade, and it just made me stop for a second and say "huh. I wonder why they made the deliberate choice to have it outside the jacket if they're really trying to fit this into the original trilogy timeline."

As a designer myself on a long running animated series, you think about every design decision. "Why is it that way? Does it fit with continuity? If not, what's the reason?" Is it easier for the model/animation to have it outside the jacket rather than under it? Is that the practical reason why they would design it this way for the game?

(I posted this same question on an Indy Facebook group and got ripped apart for being a nitpicky fanboy.... I just want to know what their thought process was?)

Finn

Staff member
I've not properly played video games for decades, so am very much out of the loop in terms of what's considered good and popular etc, but I do think this looks terrific - the characters and locations look incredibly well realised and the story is intriguing.
It's really nothing particularly stunning. Pretty standard fare for current-gen. Yeah, high-budget video games have looked like that for the past five years or so.

Is it easier for the model/animation to have it outside the jacket rather than under it? Is that the practical reason why they would design it this way for the game?
You're most likely onto something here. Since such accessories are not static objects attached to the model these days, but move around as the character moves, it's better to put the bag over the jacket, as it would clip through otherwise.

fedoraboy

It's really nothing particularly stunning. Pretty standard fare for current-gen. Yeah, high-budget video games have looked like that for the past five years or so.
I'll take your word for it. But as a fan of Indy content - as opposed to a fan of video games - this is something we really haven't had before, a video game with a true cinematic look and (hopefully) feel. Looking at the Youtube comments - who mostly seem to be gaming people as opposed to Indy people (though clearly there's a big old crossover there!) - the comments are pretty much all glowingly positive (something we could've only dreamed of for DoD!)

emtiem

I'm happy to see that a few people brought up the satchel outside the jacket here. I first saw that and thought, "oh cool, this takes place after Crusade," and then they showed the timeline of it being between Raiders and Crusade, and it just made me stop for a second and say "huh. I wonder why they made the deliberate choice to have it outside the jacket if they're really trying to fit this into the original trilogy timeline."

As a designer myself on a long running animated series, you think about every design decision. "Why is it that way? Does it fit with continuity? If not, what's the reason?" Is it easier for the model/animation to have it outside the jacket rather than under it? Is that the practical reason why they would design it this way for the game?

(I posted this same question on an Indy Facebook group and got ripped apart for being a nitpicky fanboy.... I just want to know what their thought process was?)

I guess it would work as a reason for the jacket not to swing open as he moves, making the animation a bit easier. I’m not keen on it myself as it makes his jacket look a bit too closed across his body: the look is off for me.

MarshallCollegeDropout

I guess it would work as a reason for the jacket not to swing open as he moves, making the animation a bit easier. I’m not keen on it myself as it makes his jacket look a bit too closed across his body: the look is off for me.
Agreed. Also, I like how the jacket holds the satchel in place in the original films. In Crystal Skull, when Indy is fighting Dovchenko during the big damn ants sequence, that satchel is flying around everywhere. It just looks off. I'm ok with Indy deciding to wear it over the jacket after the tank turret near death experience in Crusade, but aesthetically it just looks off to me. From a design standpoint.

Finn

Staff member
Looking at the Youtube comments - who mostly seem to be gaming people as opposed to Indy people (though clearly there's a big old crossover there!) - the comments are pretty much all glowingly positive (something we could've only dreamed of for DoD!)
Here's some more conventional wisdom: YouTube comment fields are one of the last places you should put any stock in. No matter whether the message is positive or negative.

This being said, it does look like a competently made game. Then again, pretty much any trailer for a big budget game gives such an impression.

As for the satchel - as stated already, it's most likely so that they don't have to make tricky, complex animations for the jacket. Modeling that kind of detail is going to eat into the performance, increasing the hardware requirements.