Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - coming in 2024

Nurhachi1991

You know what I love the most about what’s been shown so far?

This game feels like a straight up Rob Macgregor book from back in the day, the title is definitely giving me those vibes.

^This guy isn't wrong.

I tried really hard to find an example of excellent first-person fist-fighting combat. I'm a gamer - and I can't think of any.

At least none that compete with the likes of Batman's Arkham Series or the Spider-Man games.
Really old game but did you ever play Condemned and Condemned 2 on the Xbox 360?

It was first person and had some of the most realistic melee combat I’ve ever seen. It’s possible, rare but possible

Dr.Jonesy

It makes sense if its a mechanics/practical thing, like it's easier to animate/model the satchel over the jacket rather than under it.
I'd wager that animating the satchel over the jacket is way more work. If the satchel was under the jacket, you'd only have to worry about animating the actual bag portion, not the strap - as that'd be hidden with no need to be animated.

Whereas when they pull the camera back, the strap portion and jacket are both individually animated.

So it was definitely a choice they worked harder to implement.

Really old game but did you ever play Condemned and Condemned 2 on the Xbox 360?

It was first person and had some of the most realistic melee combat I’ve ever seen. It’s possible, rare but possible
Oh yeah, I played those a year or two ago on my 360. Never played them before. Love them.

I'd say the combat was fine - but first-person melee combat only really works best when you're using a weapon like a bat/pipe of some kind. Fist-fighting in first-person is really iffy, and I can't think of any successful examples.

That's the thing - it's not that first-person fist combat is always bad. But I can't think of any examples where it's equal in quality to a third-person version of the same thing.

MarshallCollegeDropout

I'd wager that animating the satchel over the jacket is way more work. If the satchel was under the jacket, you'd only have to worry about animating the actual bag portion, not the strap - as that'd be hidden with no need to be animated.

Whereas when they pull the camera back, the strap portion and jacket are both individually animated.

So it was definitely a choice they worked harder to implement.
If that's the case it really baffles me why they chose to go this route then. I'd love to hear from a game designer on the project to hear what their reasoning/thought process was.

emtiem

But I'd say if you want a healthy dose of not positive - check out the channels that cover gaming that talk about The Great Circle reveal. A lot of negativity to be had. From 'Uncharted rip off' to complaints about first-person perspective, whining about Nazis as villains, the new sidekick condescending to Indy...

Oh man, not that again. What are these Indy films these men have watched where all the female characters are incredibly subservient and deferential to Dr Jones?

^This guy isn't wrong.

I tried really hard to find an example of excellent first-person fist-fighting combat. I'm a gamer - and I can't think of any.

At least none that compete with the likes of Batman's Arkham Series or the Spider-Man games.

Yes I'm not a big gamer but I have played Spider Man and the fighting is a lot of fun and feels cinematic and engaging: like you're somehow pulling off these amazing moves. I think I would want to see Indy swinging fists too.

What I also noticed was no Indy sans leather jacket in any of the footage.

Yes I thought that was curious- most of the previous games have had a bit of that. Maybe they just haven't added that version to the game yet.
Presumably you do get to play as Professor Indy in the opening though.

Dr.Jonesy

Oh man, not that again. What are these Indy films these men have watched where all the female characters are incredibly subservient and deferential to Dr Jones?
There's a pretty big fixation from fans regarding their 'beloved' characters being 'respected' and 'revered' in the newer installments of the franchise, even if they never were before.

They want the entire world of the franchise to see Indy or Han or other characters we love as we see them.

If they made Raiders today - where Indy is literally punched and berated by a woman who just outdrank a guy 4x her size, you bet there'd be riots.

Yes I thought that was curious- most of the previous games have had a bit of that. Maybe they just haven't added that version to the game yet.
Presumably you do get to play as Professor Indy in the opening though.
It's odd. I remember Infernal Machine annoying me by having only two levels with Indy in his classic jacket.

Now we're maybe on the opposite end - where he's never without it. Same with Dial of Destiny.

Maybe the player can choose if he's wearing it or not.

fedoraboy

If they've put the thought in to have a great circle around the globe with the Axis Powers as the antagonists, they're already given the story more thought than most Indy games (and many Indy wannabe movies) which is a very good sign.
Yeah - on paper at least - this sounds like a better story than at least a couple of the actual Indiana Jones films!

MrEdcar007

^This guy isn't wrong.

Chronicles of Riddick had great melee combat for a FPS. That was a Starbreeze game and a lot of Starbreeze developers are now working for Machine Games, more importantly the Lead Designer.

In those games, first person didn't feel like a floating camera. Your character was part of the world with his own shadow and player model. In the trailer, you can see Indy's shadow from his POV, which is iconic in it own.

Basically, you can view the new Indy game as a spiritual successor to Chronicles of Riddick and The Darkness, which are some of the finest games of their generation. That is a great way to stand out from Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

MrEdcar007

Eh...the fact that your two most supporting examples are a 20 year old game and a 17 year old game (The Darkness) doesn't give me much confidence.
The fact that the people who made those games are also working on Indy, doesn't?
They are some of the best in the genre and one of them proves that good melee is doable in first person, age has nothing to do with it as they are still very much playable. The only thing that has aged, are the visuals.

Condemded 2 is a personal favorite of mine, another FPS with great combat that still plays great to this day.

I love the Arkham combat, but it has been done to death. They are doing something that fits more with the character of Indy.
He does a lot more that just blocking and punching.

michael

That is a great way to stand out from Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

yeah, as a huge fan of the Uncharted games and Naughty Dog in general...if it's not up to that caliber, most everyone will know, and they are the standard for third person adventure.

I don't fault them for sticking to something they know and do well.

Also, from the trailer, it looks like combat will be more intimate, less hordes? So there might be some fun ways to dispose of enemies. I can't imagine it's going to be like Uncharted where you just have endless ammo at times. I'm hoping there's more of a survival element to The Great Circle.

Lord_glavin

Also, from the trailer, it looks like combat will be more intimate, less hordes? So there might be some fun ways to dispose of enemies. I can't imagine it's going to be like Uncharted where you just have endless ammo at times. I'm hoping there's more of a survival element to The Great Circle.
Yeah, I'm hoping the body count isn't as crazy as Uncharted. Nathan Drake kills a lot of people. It's a video game so it'll be high, but killing too many people as Indy just feels off, even if they are Nazis.

emtiem

Yeah, I'm hoping the body count isn't as crazy as Uncharted. Nathan Drake kills a lot of people. It's a video game so it'll be high, but killing too many people as Indy just feels off, even if they are Nazis.
Yes I was about to say that! I enjoyed Uncharted but I did start to feel a bit like a mass murderer which contrasts slightly with the tone: although Indy obviously doesn't mind racking up a few dead Nazis I don't want to feel like they're taking the bodies away in lorries. Most of the baddies we saw dealt with in that clip are basically getting knocked out, which is fine.

Dr.Jonesy

I love the Arkham combat, but it has been done to death. They are doing something that fits more with the character of Indy.
He does a lot more that just blocking and punching.
I'd say an updated version of Emperor's Tomb would be a good way to have gone, not Arkham.

michael

also...

does anyone know exactly when development started? they announced in 2021 that they were developing, but when did they actually start?

what's the average amount of years for a really quality big title?