Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - coming in 2024

Bjorn Heimdall

I don't think I ever finished The Old Blood, maybe it was a bit too hard for me. I had to lower the difficulty of The New Colossus to second lowest because it just kept kicking my a**. Might be time for a refresher.

StockdeFerry

For your own mental health/sanity, do yourselves a favor and stay away from YouTube/Twitter/Facebook comments.

While the reactions for this game are quite positive, Indy still has a negative and toxic following since Dial and I doubt it's going to stop with this game, especially since console war fanboyism is already a part of it's discource.

Just my advice for anyone who doesn't want to deal with the toxicity.
Before KK haters.
Now PlayStation fanboys and.... KK's haters too, as there are a lot of people who think Great Circle was made under his command. 😅

ChilledMonkeyBrain

Bought Machine Games' ''Wolfenstein Alt History Collection'' (The New Order, The Old Blood, The New Colossus, and Youngblood)) on the Playstation yesterday for about 40$ (y)
Haven't played them before, so I'm looking forward to try them out these coming weeks 👍

Toht's Arm

I seem to be the only one who thinks he doesn‘t look (rather feel) like Indy at all. Marcus is an abomination. To me the cutscenes feel like a parody of Indy so I think about skipping them. The face isn‘t that far off and the whole 3D model is fantastic, so I seem to suffer from a severe case of uncannyvalleyitis.
Now this is going to sound really crazy, but it looks like they used Troy Baker's mocap for the close-ups - the mouth looks like him, rather than animators attempting to mimic Ford. Perhaps someone knows if Baker actually filmed any mocap for the game, or if it was just audio...(?) If it's the latter, than I'll admit it's all in my head... It's definitely distracting though.

ShortRound

Indy looks closest when he confronts the Tony Todd character with the glasses on and almost 1:1 for Ford.

I think they change up the model a few times in the trailer because you have Indy in various states from the worn out look to the overly clean version in the conversation with Marcus. They just need to widen his chin and jaw just a teensy bit and we're pretty good on all fronts I think.

The skinny chin is more Baker so maybe they capitulated a bit there. Given how much mocap he's done for most of his other roles, it should be a given that he did it. It's like how Troy's voice is just a teensy bit more nasally that Harrison's. Just the smallest of adjustments.

That said, I think it's something we ought to take in stride because this is a huge step in the right direction. None of the other games were even remotely close and the last time we came close with the PS3 version of Staff of Kings, it got cancelled. Emperor's Tomb Indy barely had eyebrows half the time.

MrEdcar007

Indy looks closest when he confronts the Tony Todd character with the glasses on and almost 1:1 for Ford.

I think they change up the model a few times in the trailer because you have Indy in various states from the worn out look to the overly clean version in the conversation with Marcus. They just need to widen his chin and jaw just a teensy bit and we're pretty good on all fronts I think.

The skinny chin is more Baker so maybe they capitulated a bit there. Given how much mocap he's done for most of his other roles, it should be a given that he did it. It's like how Troy's voice is just a teensy bit more nasally that Harrison's. Just the smallest of adjustments.

That said, I think it's something we ought to take in stride because this is a huge step in the right direction. None of the other games were even remotely close and the last time we came close with the PS3 version of Staff of Kings, it got cancelled. Emperor's Tomb Indy barely had eyebrows half the time.
What's funny (or sad, depending on how you look at it), Staff of Kings was going to have the most accurate Harrison Ford/Indy model yet.

I really like the new Indy model, but something feels off when it comes to his eyes for me.

zMiP3EL.jpeg

PilotJohnGrant

Sometimes I feel like who the heck is that?
iu

Then shots like this, he looks dead on!
iu

The rest of the time it's close but not quite there, I think maybe it's the brow? Like it feels like he's just a little too wide eyed at the world.

emtiem

Yes there are a couple which are pretty perfect; when he's looking down at his notebook in the final shot where he figures out it's the great circle, it's bob on.
But I wonder if they weren't going for an 'Indy' character design rather than Harrison Ford exact likeness, a bit like perhaps the comic book artists did.

One thing I would like, and maybe this is a no-no for games, would be a slower, more filmic frame rate for the cinematic bits. Seeing Indy in motion smoothing just feels weird.

PilotJohnGrant

He is squinting his eyes because of the sun. I think styff like that can sometimes distort a digital face a bit, especially when it is based on a real actor you know.
I think that's part of it and it must be really hard to nail it but yeah it's defintely more noticeable when we have references of what Ford looks like in similiar setups.
the-last-crusade(1989)_7016.jpg
the-last-crusade(1989)_7053.jpg

Dr.Jonesy

I know this is an Indy thread but since we talked about it - I figured I'd let others know that New Game+ just dropped on all platforms today for Robocop: Rogue City. So now you can start the game all over again with all your upgrades, abilities, and beefed-up Auto-9!

I hope The Great Circle has New Game+, too.

TheFedora

"A third major component is, of course, the discovery of all these historical moments hidden in the earth, or in the sand. Feeling like you are an expert archaeologist out on an adventure is perhaps the most important part of shaping the experience of being Indiana Jones."

I hope this is like TR and Uncharted, but you have to follow clues to these artifacts scattered over the levels. Sure you'll find the story artifacts that will guide you to the great circle, but these supplementary artifacts could be used to provide more lore on the the different cultures he visits, also the hidden secret of the circle too.

FordFan

If Raiders had come out today...you know these people would be raging at Marion.
Lol… are we really pondering an imaginary universe and what people would be outraged by?

If we are… they wouldn’t, because the film would still be objectively good.

The villain is giving off Hugo Strange vibes. I like it.

The Lone Raider

Well I just watched the trailer. Looks very unoriginal. Late 1930s, Nazis, North African deserts, jungles, snowy mountains, zeppelins, planes, what looks to be a white European female lead...good grief. It's like the Indy franchise can only be confined to very specific locations, time periods, ethnicities, vehicles, etc.

I know everyone wants to complain that Crusade is just Raiders 2.0, but...come on, look at this game. This is Raiders 2.0. Crusade has enough differences, but this...this is very uninspired.

The last bit got me laughing though. "You have any idea how old that was?!" 🤣 Too bad that wasn't a line in the movies. Very typical Indy.

Finn

Staff member
Well I just watched the trailer. Looks very unoriginal. Late 1930s, Nazis, North African deserts, jungles, snowy mountains, zeppelins, planes, what looks to be a white European female lead...good grief. It's like the Indy franchise can only be confined to very specific locations, time periods, ethnicities, vehicles, etc.

I know everyone wants to complain that Crusade is just Raiders 2.0, but...come on, look at this game. This is Raiders 2.0. Crusade has enough differences, but this...this is very uninspired.
Yes, and the last time we had a major Indiana Jones release that featured most of these elements was... *checks notes*... in 1989.

Or we can say 1992, if we're counting Fate of Atlantis. Emperor's Tomb breaks the formula, IMO, with its heavy oriental vibe.

The "Classic Indiana Jones" bingo card has been collecting dust for three decades. In fact, I'm kinda surprised they didn't dig it up sooner.

And if we're being very generous, we can count Staff of Kings (as in, as a major release), which halves the time. But it doesn't change the fact that most major Indiana Jones releases since he rode into the sunset after rescuing his father have been deviations in one way or another.

Although, this is not to say that they can't make a good Indy title without checking all the boxes - they can and they have. But after all this time, the return to the greatest hits feels... rather refreshing, actually.