Indiana Jones, Family Man? (Spoiler-Ish?)

Deckard

Lets face it, its a big deal if Indy gets hitched or has a son. Back in the day they were kicking around the idea of him having a long lost, evil brother. They even considered Tom Selleck. And of course we all know of his father's adventures. So is it that crazy to think he'd have a son to carry on the legacy.

Look at that newer pic of Indy and Mutt crouched and try to tell me that Mutt isnt Indy's son. I just see the spitting image of a young Harrison in Shia, even more so then River in LC. If he gets the mannerisms right I wouldnt even mind him playing Indy in a flashback. (The rumored Abner, Indy flashback involving the ark/skull...)

I think it'd be best handled tho if they worked it like The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou. In which your left not actually knowing if Ned is indeed Steve's son but by the end, they've been thru so much togeather it doesnt matter. They both needed something. Ned felt like he needed a father figure and Steve was looking to fill the void left by Esteban and his being older/lack of adventures. By the end they have bonded and been thru so much, Steve doesn't care if it's true or not, he accepts Ned as his son.

This is what i would be most content with. We don't know if Mutt is rly Indy's blood, but we get the feeling he is and Indy just accepts it. And he should end up w/ Marion too. This is probably going to be the last outing and I cant believe im saying this but I want Indy to be happy. (I cant believe im saying it bcuz i also love zombie/horror movies which dont typically have happy endings...) I'd love it if it ended w/ the 3 of them walking off into the Jungle and Indy mentioning something like "Now we just have to meet dad." Sort of like the ending to meet the parents. And it'd be a good little Sean Connery referance.

So feelings? opinions?

barranca

I read somewhere a while ago that Shia's signed on for 3 more!, and Harrison's on board too.
I'd be deeply unhappy if the 'baton' were handed over, so to speak. I'd actually prefer to see the character we know and love age in future films.
I do see the simularity between them both (as father and son) but it ends there for me.
Lucas just better not be considering some sort of 'reboot' with Shia as Indy or whatever.
That man may be responsible for giving me many happy memories, but if he mucks around with this franchise too, I'll wash my hands of him and his work for good.
I have a strong suspicion that we CAN trust Spielberg with this though, he seems to be the only person Lucas listens to.
Although he too has been led astray by the 'bearded one' (E.T.)!!

Deckard

Ya, don't get me wrong im not looking to have Shia take over the movies or anything, I just think hes going to surprise alot of people w/ his performance. I also guess i wouldnt mind if they were to try to do another TV series w/ Shia. Like something on HBO as a weekly series in the spirit of Young Indy would be cool. No 2nd trilogy tho, i don't trust Lucas enuff for that.

joelwatts

At first, I didn't thinkit was possible that Shia plays a 1925 Indy. My reasoning was that his hair isn't right, and if he was in a scene playing younger Indy, he would have to have his hair cut,and this scene would nessecarily have to be shot last, since he has longer hair in the rest of the movie.

However, his greaser hair is long on top, like River's was, so I guess it is possible that with some restyling, they could have shot a young Indy scene with Shia.

Not saying it happened,or that I like the idea, but I don't think it is impossible.

Deckard

effin said:
so indy rides on motorcycles and explores caves with the younger version of himself?

Its more feasible then hiring another actor. And im not saying its definate but its definately possible. Like Joel said check out the hair, kind of like River's. And if it were a brief scene and they did enough to change Shia'a appearance, (add harrisons' chin scar etc...) then i wouldnt mind. Plus then they wouldnt have to come right out and say that Mutt is Indy's son. (Which im not expecting.) I dont think they had paternity tests back then?

tnswman

replican't said:
Anything's possible. They gave Darth Vader the scream of a girl, remember.

And this is the truth....Vader turned into an Emotional Wreck in just one tiny Scene...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I think it's a 95% possibility that Mutt is his son. 100% he's Marion's son. 5%, the outside chance, Marion got married to someone else soon after Raiders and conceived a son with him. I'd like to say we've definitely confirmed that Mutt is his son with all the hints and spoilers we're getting, but I have been really wrong about this film before.

Anyway, I'd really like to see an ending that Deckard described in his first post, that reference to Sean Connery would be hilarious! (y)

Rivers

barranca said:
I read somewhere a while ago that Shia's signed on for 3 more!, and Harrison's on board too.
I'd be deeply unhappy if the 'baton' were handed over, so to speak. I'd actually prefer to see the character we know and love age in future films.
I do see the simularity between them both (as father and son) but it ends there for me.
Lucas just better not be considering some sort of 'reboot' with Shia as Indy or whatever.
That man may be responsible for giving me many happy memories, but if he mucks around with this franchise too, I'll wash my hands of him and his work for good.
I have a strong suspicion that we CAN trust Spielberg with this though, he seems to be the only person Lucas listens to.
Although he too has been led astray by the 'bearded one' (E.T.)!!

He signed on for 3 Transformer pics, not Indy.

TheLastCrusader

I was looking for old Indy 4 news and found this little gem:

Ford says Indiana Jones won't have a son!
Monday, July 22, 2002

Good Indy Franchise news! Harrison Ford debunked the rumor that Indy will have a son in Indiana Jones 4 while talking to Chicago Sun-Times. Here's what Cindy Pearlman reported:

Indy's no daddy: Don't call it "Indiana Jones: The Babymaker". Harrison Ford Told this column that the much-awaited next installment of "Indiana Jones" will not feature him training his screen son to take over the franchise. The 60-year-old Chicago native gave us a look of mock horror and said, "Hey, there's only one son in these movies and I'll always be Sean Connery's little boy!"

Ford didn't say Indy won't have a daughter so there's still a chance that the old "Natalie Portman playing Indy's daughter" rumor can become reality...
It could/should have influenced Koepp not to make Mutt Indy's son :)

Forrestal1972

Shia could turn out to be KOTCS's Gungan guest star. I think there is a danger that people are going to be really p*ssed off with his character, especially the older Indy fans who saw the movies first time around. I hope we're not talking the b*stard child of Jar Jar Binks and Wicket. He seems to be in almost every photo from the upcoming movie. Don't get me wrong, I liked him in Disturbia, but as the son of Indy? Surely he must have photo's of some very important people in Hollywood doing something very wrong!

Chiliana Jones

they already made a father/son story with LC. why another one? just a different one?:confused:

we just have to wait and see when the movie comes out. maybe we all will be suprised:D

but the new art-piece by steve anderson may tell it all. Shia on his bike with the silouette of indy in the background...? thought this was an Indy-story, not the "Mutt, you will bring on the legacy after me. (may the force be with you)":p

CJ

No Ticket

Maybe he is neither Marion or Indy's son. Maybe he just happens to be a student who knows Dr. Jones? ... I mean, common sense would say otherwise but I'm just saying. It's possible. His last name is different (although that could be because of Marion marrying someone).

Perhaps the story would be more of Indy becoming a mentor, and "like a father" to Mutt like Abner was to him, I suppose. Changing Mutt's bad attitude.

But I mean, I don't even completely believe what I just said. Just saying it's a possibility.