Indiana's Discarded Attributes

Raiders90

Hey

From the very beginning Indiana was always going to be an adventurer/archeologist/professor, but would you have preferred if it either Lucas suggestion (Adventurer/Archeologist/Playboy) or Spielberg's (Adventurer/Archaeologist/Drunkard) had made it to the final film?
This is how Lucas describes Indy in a 1978 draft of Raiders:

''Raiders of the Lost Ark
Story Treatment by George Lucas
1/25/78

Indiana Jones is a Ph.D. archeologist and an anthropologist. He is a professor at a small Eastern college and is a respected authority in his field although he is only thirty-eight years old. He is a quiet man on campus, with rugged good looks under his horn-rimmed glasses. He is the heartthrob for all the young coeds, a situation that he has helped to foster, and isn't reluctant to take advantage of.

He is a bachelor playboy, with a fondness for the good life; famous nightclubs, champagne, and especially beautiful women. His nightlife is a sharp contrast to his quiet days as a college professor. In his tuxedo (and without his glasses) he is the prototype of the Eastern playboy of the 1930's. He plays polo and pool and is quite a gambler. He lives in a large 30's-style house, and also has a penthouse apartment in Manhattan.

He can afford the good life because of his second occupation. He is a soldier of fortune, and a procurer of rare antiquities. A bounty hunter hired by museums and private collectors to find ancient artifacts and bring them back, no questions asked. He is a tomb robber, but draws the line at stealing from colleges or museums. He has a keen interest in the occult, and specializes in artifacts/religious objects protected by curses, etc. He is a terrible shot, but a [master] with the bullwhip that he always carries with him. He is a good fighter.''

The Man

Raiders112390 said:
Hey

From the very beginning Indiana was always going to be an adventurer/archeologist/professor, but would you have preferred if it either Lucas suggestion (Adventurer/Archeologist/Playboy) or Spielberg's (Adventurer/Archaeologist/Drunkard) had made it to the final film?
This is how Lucas describes Indy in a 1978 draft of Raiders:

''Raiders of the Lost Ark
Story Treatment by George Lucas
1/25/78

Indiana Jones is a Ph.D. archeologist and an anthropologist. He is a professor at a small Eastern college and is a respected authority in his field although he is only thirty-eight years old. He is a quiet man on campus, with rugged good looks under his horn-rimmed glasses. He is the heartthrob for all the young coeds, a situation that he has helped to foster, and isn't reluctant to take advantage of.

He is a bachelor playboy, with a fondness for the good life; famous nightclubs, champagne, and especially beautiful women. His nightlife is a sharp contrast to his quiet days as a college professor. In his tuxedo (and without his glasses) he is the prototype of the Eastern playboy of the 1930's. He plays polo and pool and is quite a gambler. He lives in a large 30's-style house, and also has a penthouse apartment in Manhattan.

He can afford the good life because of his second occupation. He is a soldier of fortune, and a procurer of rare antiquities. A bounty hunter hired by museums and private collectors to find ancient artifacts and bring them back, no questions asked. He is a tomb robber, but draws the line at stealing from colleges or museums. He has a keen interest in the occult, and specializes in artifacts/religious objects protected by curses, etc. He is a terrible shot, but a [master] with the bullwhip that he always carries with him. He is a good fighter.''

He is the heartthrob for all the young coeds, a situation that he has helped to foster, and isn't reluctant to take advantage of.

Ewww! Probably for the best this particular character trait was abandoned. Indy is fine as he is - just give him a decent story to work with.

NYCGoldenIdol

I'm glad that Lucas and Spielberg went into another direction regarding Indy's character. He's definitely cool the way he is now.

Not too big on the whole playboy/drunkard thing.

muttjones

but i definitely think that some of these traits of the playboy character eventually found their way in to the end character.
Indy is still a heartthrob with all the young students. He is always picking up women as well.

Indy IV has stopped that though...humph!!:mad:

jason10mm

I think the more mercenary Indy could be explored. The films have shown Indy as an established professor, but I'd like to see him younger, more reckless, less savory. Perhaps on the outs with a lot of authority figures due to his questionable activities. He shows a strong connection with underworld elements in the beginnings of both Raiders and Temple and the recovery of the Cross in Crusade was almost an assassination mission. I'd like to see more of that part of Indys life, rather than always focusing on when he is noble and playing the hero.

I agree that him sleeping with his students is best left discarded, but womanizing ain't so bad :) I don't feel that he needs a strong vice like drinking or some sort of drug use though.

I do like the light touch Ford brought to the role. It would be easy to play Indy as a straight macho man, but I think he should have a playful side that pops out at odd times. It is also important to show him getting tired and frustrated, rather than always a step ahead of everyone else.

KyleRipman

I remember an early sketch of Indy from the DVDs that showed him smoking. This probably would have made him seem a little different.

muttjones

jason10mm said:
I think the more mercenary Indy could be explored. The films have shown Indy as an established professor, but I'd like to see him younger, more reckless, less savory. Perhaps on the outs with a lot of authority figures due to his questionable activities. He shows a strong connection with underworld elements in the beginnings of both Raiders and Temple and the recovery of the Cross in Crusade was almost an assassination mission. I'd like to see more of that part of Indys life, rather than always focusing on when he is noble and playing the hero.

i agree with you.
the ruthless indy going on missions to steal artefacts from mobsters. He only does these tasks for the vast amounts of money he gets from rich private collectors.

I would like to see how Indy drunk would act. Would he be a mean drunk or a real happy caring drunk?

Zorg

I'm glad they didn't go that far in making Indy a playboy character. It's quite enough for us to know that the ladies obviously like him. ;)

It's all good as it is. Indiana Jones – women want him and men want to be him.

As far as the drunkard thing goes.. I don't think that would've worked at all. Sure, it's a great scene in Raiders when Indy drinks alone thinking Marion is dead, but that's just something any one of us could do. It's another thing that makes Indy human.

The Man

Roy_Chiao said:
I would like to see how Indy drunk would act. Would he be a mean drunk or a real happy caring drunk?

He's gets more than a little tipsy in Darabont's draft.

HovitosKing

Raiders112390 said:
Hey

Lucas was trying to rip off James Bond. Spielberg was probably drunk himself when he conceived his version of the idea. These two are the luckiest bastards in the history of filmmaking to have stumbled onto their collective creation. Time has proven this point.

Niteshade007

The playboy description is a bit Gatsby-esque, but I don't see it working for the films as they are now. I don't mind the drunkard idea, since we have already seen some of that in Raiders, and it would add a little more noir elements to the films.

Dr. Wolfwood

Lucas' description sounds a bit too much like Bond to me. Indy really turned out the best the way he is - proved by the evident success and memorability of the character.

CasualJeff

I actually love the fact that Indy got married in KotCS. It's like Spielberg and Lucas are finally admitting that, even though the character was conceived as a James Bond ripoff, Indiana Jones is not James Bond. Indy ages. Indy matures. Indy gets married. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones--he doesn't just get replaced every ten years by some younger guy.