Indy 5 Set Reports & Photos

Yure

Although all the 4 movies have their share of comedy, LC and KOTCS are more packed with it. This statement could lead to think that this might be inclined to have more darker moments and less slapstick ones.

However, I'd always be careful with such statements. I still feel the burn of "we are going full oldschool with little to no CGI" and "studying and emulating Slocombe's cinematography" from 15 years ago 😅

My_Pet_Snake-Reggie

[Raiders of the Lost Ark] was one of my favorite films, and it just oozed that golden period of serials from the 1940s — and that’s in the fifth film as well,” he says. “They’re going heavily back to the first and second film and getting that original feel, the original Indy, something dense and epic."
This is the part from the article.

Gotta say after re-reading it, it feels very vague what exactly he means. He only told the fifth film comes back to RotLA and ToD 'heavily' in someway, said about it capturing the feel, being 'dense and epic' without really explaining why (which of course is the case of 'no spoilers' rule)

No clarity makes word 'heavily' sound really intriguing.

Although all the 4 movies have their share of comedy, LC and KOTCS are more packed with it. This statement could lead to think that this might be inclined to have more darker moments and less slapstick ones.
Yes, the message is that open to interpretation that this can be the case as well.

Nerdpants

My hope is that he is referring to the themes and character interactions.

First two movies were not about family but simply a man going off and having adventures.

Last Crusade introduced Dad factor which worked and I liked it.

Crystal Skull introduced son and mother which I felt did not work and probably was not all that original as they already played the family card in the film prior.

This film perhaps won't be about family but rather just going on an adventure like the first two films.

ThrowMeTheWhip

My hope is that he is referring to the themes and character interactions.

First two movies were not about family but simply a man going off and having adventures.

Last Crusade introduced Dad factor which worked and I liked it.

Crystal Skull introduced son and mother which I felt did not work and probably was not all that original as they already played the family card in the film prior.

This film perhaps won't be about family but rather just going on an adventure like the first two films.
Wellll… ToD is a blatant father son story. Indy learning to care about someone else— to be a dad both to a city of lost children and to Short Round.

Raiders can be stretched a bit too… Abner is the surrogate father Indy betrayed and he redeems their relationship by reconciling with his daughter…

Pretzel Logic

Seems possible that Mikkelsen didn't mean to be quite so precise about ToD vs. LC, and only mentioned "first and second film" to underscore the idea of "the original Indy."

But as a ToD partisan (though I also love LC), I really hope he did choose those words carefully. Could be a sign that Indy 5 will skew more action-packed, gonzo, hopefully even a bit darker. And from an action and energy standpoint, "dense and epic" does describe the first two best.

Mangold seems well-placed to pull off a shift back in that direction, while also keeping it grounded in enough character and emotion.

Nerdpants

Wellll… ToD is a blatant father son story. Indy learning to care about someone else— to be a dad both to a city of lost children and to Short Round.

Raiders can be stretched a bit too… Abner is the surrogate father Indy betrayed and he redeems their relationship by reconciling with his daughter…
The first two moves had no family members in it. That's the core of what I was saying.

I see what you are saying about a father / son story in TOD, but I don't think Spielberg would see it the same way you do. He does not like to repeat things and do story's that are too similar. Short round was a kid in Indys care but their relationship is not exactly the same as a father and son.. there are subtle differences.

That is why we got the son of Indiana Jones and not the daughter of Indiana Jones. The original script (one of the many) called for a daughter but Spielberg thought that idea was too similar to The Lost World.

LC and KOTCS are about Indys immediate family members. That is a slight departure from the first two films that don't mention any blood relatives at all. I am not saying that those other films don't have family themes in them..

fedoraboy

His comments are vague and best not to read too much into them, other than the general positivity, which is great! I'm hyped that he's comparing this directly to Raiders, and it sounds like Mangold hasn't tried to reinvent the wheel “It felt like a Spielberg film, though it’s obviously James making it with the same vision"

IndianaBones

His comments are vague and best not to read too much into them, other than the general positivity, which is great! I'm hyped that he's comparing this directly to Raiders, and it sounds like Mangold hasn't tried to reinvent the wheel “It felt like a Spielberg film, though it’s obviously James making it with the same vision"
I’m glad he’s following in Stevens footsteps too. I guess this would only disappoint people who were expecting a different take from a different director. Doesn’t bother me though. I love Spielberg movies, and it would be hilarious if James made a better Spielberg movie than current Spielberg 😂 😂

fedoraboy

I'm intrigued by this quote...

"I remember the first day we were shooting, it was a night shoot, then we stopped at 5 a.m."

I think this makes it very possible Mads was shooting at Bamburgh - as those were night shoots on location early in production (it seems less likely they'd be filming in Pinewood till 5am, though is possible of course, on the backlot or something) Have we had confirmation that Mads was there in Northumberland - I recall a sighting of him in Newcastle around the time of this filming??

Given that most of the Northumberland stuff LOOKS like it might be WW2 era and that Mads looks like he's very much playing his own age in Sicily (which I'm assuming is for a 1960's section of the film) it opens up two possibilities for the Mads character IF he features in the WW2 sequence as well...

1. Mads will be de-aged and we will meet a younger version of this character in the 1940's (the character being in his 20's/30's)

OR

2. The Mads character somehow travels from WW2 to the 60's, so he's the villain in both time periods. Perhaps his arrival in 1969 is what kicks off the adventure for older Indy.

Wild speculation, of course, but both fun possibilities!

ThrowMeTheWhip

I'm intrigued by this quote...

"I remember the first day we were shooting, it was a night shoot, then we stopped at 5 a.m."

I think this makes it very possible Mads was shooting at Bamburgh - as those were night shoots on location early in production (it seems less likely they'd be filming in Pinewood till 5am, though is possible of course, on the backlot or something) Have we had confirmation that Mads was there in Northumberland - I recall a sighting of him in Newcastle around the time of this filming??

Given that most of the Northumberland stuff LOOKS like it might be WW2 era and that Mads looks like he's very much playing his own age in Sicily (which I'm assuming is for a 1960's section of the film) it opens up two possibilities for the Mads character IF he features in the WW2 sequence as well...

1. Mads will be de-aged and we will meet a younger version of this character in the 1940's (the character being in his 20's/30's)

OR

2. The Mads character somehow travels from WW2 to the 60's, so he's the villain in both time periods. Perhaps his arrival in 1969 is what kicks off the adventure for older Indy.

Wild speculation, of course, but both fun possibilities!

It does indeed put Mads at Bamburgh.

Nerdpants

I’m glad he’s following in Stevens footsteps too. I guess this would only disappoint people who were expecting a different take from a different director. Doesn’t bother me though. I love Spielberg movies, and it would be hilarious if James made a better Spielberg movie than current Spielberg 😂 😂
I was looking at the quote of mine that you were replying to and thinking.. I don't remember saying that!

I then looked back, and saw that it was @fedoraboy.

I have been misquoted! I am outraged (jokes)

Nerdpants

I think Mangold will make a good movie. Would it have been better than what Spielberg would have done? We will never know. Spielberg would want to make up for entry number 4 and I think he would have gave it a red hot go.

That said, Mangold is new to the series so may bring a freshness to it that Spielberg can't. Or he may muck it up.

SnakeSurprise

Yeah, this is my interpretation/hope as well.

I honestly think Mads was simply using the comparison to basically say 'less slapstick'.

I think Raiders still has the best vibe for the character (docu) whereas Doom remains the most fun without overdoing the 'fun' aspects.

However, I'd always be careful with such statements. I still feel the burn of "we are going full oldschool with little to no CGI" and "studying and emulating Slocombe's cinematography" from 15 years ago 😅
Yeah, Indy is a different person in KOTCS. But is nice... he only come back, like a child, to be that guy he was in ROTLA when discussing with marion, but funnily he knows he is an old man now and... even sharing the opinion of the little cringe wedding is, is also neccesary in that indy's life's moment.

Also yes, we all remembered the CGI lie... We were disappointed and assuming the truth in the first seconds of the movie seeing the dogs.