Indy 6 - a way forward?

Grizzlor

I'd like to see a dark Indy prequel series on Disney Plus. Not with him as a kid, but pre-ToD, exploring the Sultan of Madagascar stuff and how he knew Forrestal, and a run in with a younger Belloq. Perhaps he's allied with Belloq, even friends and they have a falling out.
Disney have done a number of these in Star Wars, with mostly negative results. Pigeon-holing film makers I think is never going to work out well.

British Raider

No, more like a "Batman Begins."
The thing is resetting is built into comic characters from the outset. Indiana Jones is kind of stuck as Harrison Ford. Which they’ve further emphasised with DoD. I don’t think anybody I know even knew there was a Young Indiana Jones series for starters. The books and comics are not big sellers otherwise we’d get a lot more of them. So it’s kind of stuck in purgatory now, partly by their own making.

Raiders90

I feel like they wouldn't get it right (meaning a prequel)

Whatever one's qualms may be with the YIJC, I think it can be agreed (?) that the series did a great job of making it feel like it was 1910, 1918 etc in the series. There is a gritty realism to it in terms of the look / feel / aesthetic of the series.

I feel like a new prequel series would lack the depth of YIJC and feel like a generic run of the mill adventure series. The Obi Wan series felt very over the top in some ways even for a space fantasy, and very shallowly written. I wouldn't want to see Indy get the same treatment.

As I see it he's already had two final bows...Why does he need a third? But others can disagree as they like....

Spiked

I feel like a new prequel series would lack the depth of YIJC and feel like a generic run of the mill adventure series. The Obi Wan series felt very over the top in some ways even for a space fantasy, and very shallowly written. I wouldn't want to see Indy get the same treatment.
I would!!

Raiders90

I mean, 1912 to 1916 isn't a particularly large gap, either. I know there's the whole puberty thing, but Flannery looks nothing like Phoenix, save for the long, floppy hair as @Randy_Flagg pointed out. Really, now that I think about it a little more, it matters less what he looks like and more how he acts at this point. He'd need to start becoming real shady and cynical by 1922.

Also, talking about immersion-breaking, having Corey Carrier's Indy scream "I hate snakes" before Indy chronologically becomes afraid of snakes already broke the immersion for me long ago, haha.

There is a 15 year gap between where the YIJC ends (age 21, in 1920) and where Temple picks up (1935, age 36).

15 years is a long time, time long enough to radically change a person.

Think of yourself 15 years ago. You were probably quite different.

I mean, I'll give myself as an example. My mother died, I turned 30, I got Covid, I lost my job, and I lost my gf of 5 years all in the space of 6 weeks between November 2020 and January 2021. I'm not at all the same person I was pre 2020, and that was just three years ago. Much less, 15 years ago.

If they ever revisit a "younger" Indy, their best bet would be to take advantage of that 1920 to 1935 gap.

emtiem

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a 'younger' Indy series in the 20/30s, because he's pretty much becoming the Indy we know at that point. He might have to be the slightly more mercenary one from ToD though, although that's not necessarily bad I guess. Indy dealing with gangsters and the underworld could be fun, and it's not like he's a fundamentally bad person going into ToD.

emtiem

Ha! It's a fair point! I guess at least he shows a bit of kindness and selflessness by taking Shorty in, maybe. Although I suppose he does use him as a sidekick in his dodgy deals!
He does seem vaguely sympathetic to the villagers' plight, although again: I guess he only really cares once he sees the Sankara scroll.

I don't know, could you have a 20s-ish prequel where he's a bit heroic without undermining ToD? Or I guess you could even show him on a path where something bad happens to him which makes him turn more cynical.
Although maybe it's a bit silly to have him swinging back and forth all his life! :)

Spiked

Ha! It's a fair point! I guess at least he shows a bit of kindness and selflessness by taking Shorty in, maybe. Although I suppose he does use him as a sidekick in his dodgy deals!
He does seem vaguely sympathetic to the villagers' plight, although again: I guess he only really cares once he sees the Sankara scroll.

I don't know, could you have a 20s-ish prequel where he's a bit heroic without undermining ToD? Or I guess you could even show him on a path where something bad happens to him which makes him turn more cynical.
Although maybe it's a bit silly to have him swinging back and forth all his life! :)
I want to see those younger years that explore his relationship/rivalry to Forrestal.

- This is it. This is where Forrestal cashed in.

- A friend of yours?

- A competitor. He was good. He was very, very good.

The Lone Raider

I think it'd be interesting to see Indy, Forrestal, and Belloq all competing for the same thing. It could be amusing, tense, and exciting all at once.

michael

I think it'd be interesting to see Indy, Forrestal, and Belloq all competing for the same thing. It could be amusing, tense, and exciting all at once.

Wasn't there a very early idea for ToD where Belloq and Indy work together but eventually split based on morality. I remember reading that here unless it was just raven rumors.

Jonesy9906753

This doesn't instill much confidence in me that Disney will be eager to reinvest in the franchise. Although I consider the 5th film a fantastic final adventure, its budget was undoubtedly bloated, as I'm sure we've discussed.

9gho7jV.jpeg