Indy 6 - a way forward?

michael

It's simply a different climate compared to 2008. Attitudes, commerce, and even theater etiquette have changed—I've noticed firsthand in the last couple of years, with people using their phones, talking loudly, and vaping. The incentives for moviegoing are diminishing.

It turns out that the average person would much rather skip the theater for films like Indy 5 and wait for digital releases. And in many ways, that's truly a shame.

Thoughts?

i agree there's obviously a different attitude compared to 2008.

but i don't think the average person wants to skip an amazingly HYPED up movie, or a GREAT movie.

Skull's poor critical reception, combined with an even older Indy is simply not gonna get the casuals that can bypass these social trends that are indeed happening.

I think not.

SPF is pushing 60 and very few people outside these boards remember that show anyway.
Non starter.
So? How many cinemagoers these days even know or give a sh!t about Harrison Ford himself? All that Millennials, Gen Z, and Gen Alpha would see is a random old dude onscreen, be it Ford or Flanery. Indy has been a dead franchise since 2008. Making a fifth Indy film was only slightly less risky than a Willow streaming series.
I remember assuming that maybe Disney Lucasfilm would've done with Indy what they did with SW where they would wipe out all of the externally canon stuff, including Young Indy, to leave room for more material. I guess Young Indy falls into that Clone Wars category where Lucas was involved enough for it to stay untouched.
It was Lucas's baby. There's no way they'd do that.
Deez nuts!

Last edited:

michael

i liked your comment for the deez nuts joke (always a fan of these)

but even as a Young Indy zealot myself, i can't get on board with SPF in Dial.

also....

i wouldn't want him to be remembered for that movie

Z dweller

So? How many cinemagoers these days even know or give a sh!t about Harrison Ford himself? All Millennials, Gen Z, and Gen Alpha sees is a random old dude onscreen, be it Ford or Flanery.
Dude, you are preaching to the choir.
I was rooting for a recast all along, read my posts.

But comparing SPF to Ford in terms of marquee value is just silly.

also....

i wouldn't want him to be remembered for that movie
Good point!

Dude, you are preaching to the choir.
I was rooting for a recast all along, read my posts.

But comparing SPF to Ford in terms of marquee value is just silly.
I don't think Ford has any marquee value anymore. At least not to those under 50. He's massively devalued himself with BS like Force Awakens and all the random movies he's made where he sleeps through roles (i.e. Firewall, Blade Runner 2049). Compare that to Liam Neeson and Keeanu Reeves, who've kept up their game.

Z dweller

I don't think Ford has any marquee value anymore. At least not to those under 50. He's massively devalued himself with BS like Force Awakens and all the random movies he's made where he sleeps through roles (i.e. Firewall, Blade Runner 2049). Compare that to Liam Neeson and Keeanu Reeves, who've kept up their game.
Nonsense.
And his performance in BR2049 was universally praised, FYI.

While we are at it, SPF is a complete nobody who never had any marquee value at all.

FordFan

Deez nuts!
People know deez nuts; no one knows Sean Patrick Flanery. Any studio exec who says he should be taken into account when casting the new Indy must be a relative of his.

There's essential Indy and extra Indy. Essential Indy is the original trilogy. Extra Indy is the Young IJ franchise, KOTCS, and DOD. There's nothing wrong with the second category, but if they're going to aim for something essential, they will need someone with a little more gravitas.

Z dweller

i have to admit, Z, watching you crap on SPF from the bleachers here has my blood boiling.

but i'll let it slide, bruv
I didn't mean to upset yourself and the many Young Indy fans here.

But EJ comparing SPF to Ford has MY blood boiling even harder.
A decent actor versus a living legend? Let's get real.

michael

You have every right to think that, I disagree.

No hard feelings.

i believe it so much that there's actually no way you could change my opinion/offend me on it tbh (re: Zealot -- see, I'm owning it)

but there is genuinely so much of Lucas within the series, that the argument could be made.

there's two types of people:

people who love the Young Indy show, and people who haven't seen it.

Nonsense.
And his performance in BR2049 was universally praised, FYI.

While we are at it, SPF is a complete nobody who never had any marquee value at all.
This ain't about marquee value. It's a hypothetical about - in the context of DOD - 1. Saving money, 2. Acting ability, and 3. Continuity.

Ford quit acting in the early 90s (see below).
People know deez nuts; no one knows Sean Patrick Flanery. Any studio exec who says he should be taken into account when casting the new Indy must be a relative of his.

There's essential Indy and extra Indy. Essential Indy is the original trilogy. Extra Indy is the Young IJ franchise, KOTCS, and DOD. There's nothing wrong with the second category, but if they're going to aim for something essential, they will need someone with a little more gravitas.
If KOTCS is "extra indy", then why would you even take Ford into consideration for DOD or any future projects? He's well past the age he was in that film, which was itself well past the original trilogy.
I didn't mean to upset yourself and the many Young Indy fans here.

But EJ comparing SPF to Ford has MY blood boiling even harder.
A decent actor versus a living legend? Let's get real.
Where did I make a comparison? I didn't but I will now: Ford hasn't actually acted since the early 90s. Like Al Pacino after Scarface, Ford has been on autopilot since The Fugitive so that he can keep a check rolling in every few years.
Flanery on the other hand - Have you seen Nefarious?

Last edited:

FordFan

If KOTCS is "extra indy", then why would you even take Ford into consideration for DOD or any future projects? He's well past the age he was in that film, which was itself well past the original trilogy.
He and Williams actually brought it for KOTCS. I can't say the same for anyone else on that set.
Ford hasn't actually acted since the early 90s. Like Al Pacino after Scarface, Ford has been on autopilot since The Fugitive so that he can keep a check rolling in every few years.
Flanery on the other hand - Have you seen Nefarious?
What are you smoking? And why are you holding out on us?