Indy Five Time Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yure

Didn’t they, intentionally or not, confuse a black hole with a wormhole?

I believe they have a wormhole first (planted near Saturn), leading to an area in the vicinity of the supermassive black hole Gargantua. Then, when Cooper crosses the event horizon of Gargantua, he finds himself in the tesseract.

Alex Yeo

Time travel actually is a scientific concept that doesn't violate general relativity. And since time is relative, time travel into the future is actually pretty simple - just move fast enough so that time around you dilates and thus moves slower in relation to your surroundings.

Time travel into the past is trickier, but doesn't violate GR either. The catch is that the most scientifically viable time travel methods (such as wormholes) require the creation of the method, which can then be used as a point of origin. In other words: you can travel into the past - but no further than the point that saw the "time machine" first being activated.

Which also explains why we have no time travelers walking in our midst today...
The concept that you could only travel within the timeframe of the devices creation is very interesting! Opens up a lot of creative possibilities, and could fit here very well!

Finn

Staff member
The concept that you could only travel within the timeframe of the devices creation is very interesting! Opens up a lot of creative possibilities, and could fit here very well!
Well, I was actually talking about real-life scientific applications, not mystical thingamajigs that resemble ancient sun dials. Sure, it'd be an interesting concept for a hard sci-fi movie, but "hard sci-fi" is not exactly the first thing to pop to mind when one mentions Indiana Jones...

Alex Yeo

Well, I was actually talking about real-life scientific applications, not mystical thingamajigs that resemble ancient sun dials. Sure, it'd be an interesting concept for a hard sci-fi movie, but "hard sci-fi" is not exactly the first thing to pop to mind when one mentions Indiana Jones...
Yeah, but the way they handle it is going to make a big difference to things. So we should all be crossing fingers it’s ‘hard sci-fi’ over Back to the Future 🤞🏻

Finn

Staff member
Yeah, but the way they handle it is going to make a big difference to things. So we should all be crossing fingers it’s ‘hard sci-fi’ over Back to the Future
If time travel features in the film, I too hope it has clearly defined rules over "anything goes" à la BttF. But hard sci-fi is likely already out the window, since, like I said, hard sci-fi is stuff like... wormholes, not ancient sun dials.

The Lone Raider

If time travel features in the film, I too hope it has clearly defined rules over "anything goes" à la BttF. But hard sci-fi is likely already out the window, since, like I said, hard sci-fi is stuff like... wormholes, not ancient sun dials.
What if the dial creates a wormhole though? That's kind of what I'm seeing in the trailer with that brief shot from inside the cockpit of a plane.

IndyCon

0353d172-c3ca-490f-b22c-91b10756f3d0_text.gif

Finn

Staff member
What if the dial creates a wormhole though?
Well, no. "Using a supercollider that draws its energy from a black hole to create a wormhole" is hard sci-fi (or at least something that's at half mast). "Using an ancient sun dial to create a wormhole" is not.

I should emphasize, though, that no one should expect, let alone demand, that an Indiana Jones movie treats a possible time travel element in a manner that follows the rules of science. That it remains constant and logical with whatever its applied phlebotinum can and can't do is a fair expectation, though.

Ender

I still consider Arrival to be one of the few movies presenting a decent and innovative approach to time travel.
Still a closed loop. (n)
But hard sci-fi is likely already out the window, since, like I said, hard sci-fi is stuff like... wormholes, not ancient sun dials.
But have you considered wormholes inside ancient sundials? :)

Alex Yeo

Still a closed loop. (n)
I can’t quite remember Arrival, but isn’t that more like the Back to the Future model of time travel; where you can change the past, but it will affect the present? I just seem to remember she has to choose between erasing the memory of her daughter or not (as in, she can effect things)..?

Alex Yeo

Helena Jones spin off series anyone? Ping ponging through time with the Dial of Destiny, like Sam from Quantum Leap… 🤣

dr.jones1986

Finally watching Fleabag for the first time…

And wow PWB is a treasure. I don’t think we are going to get Helena spin-offs…but we would probably be lucky if we did.
I loved that show and was very excited for the casting. I think she will have great chemistry with Harrison. My first thoughts when I heard Disney was considering a show was perhaps she would be the star.

emtiem

I loved that show and was very excited for the casting. I think she will have great chemistry with Harrison. My first thoughts when I heard Disney was considering a show was perhaps she would be the star.
I think she's supposed to have an exclusive deal with Amazon to produce something, but that was a year or two back. Not sure if it would preclude her from acting in another TV thing or whether it's just a writing/showrunner deal.

dr.jones1986

I think she's supposed to have an exclusive deal with Amazon to produce something, but that was a year or two back. Not sure if it would preclude her from acting in another TV thing or whether it's just a writing/showrunner deal.
I am very curious what there idea will be for this show. I haven't seen anything reliable about details. Kathleen Kennedy was pretty emphatic that they will not be recasting and I don't think we'd get Harrison Ford to do a series on Disney+.

The Lone Raider

I am very curious what there idea will be for this show. I haven't seen anything reliable about details. Kathleen Kennedy was pretty emphatic that they will not be recasting and I don't think we'd get Harrison Ford to do a series on Disney+.
Unless he did voice acting for an animated series, maybe...although it would only be believable if the series took place in the 50s and/or 60s, because his voice does not sound the way it did in the original films anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.