Indy IV to be released in 2008

Epic

So where are they going to film Indy 4? I read that Frank Marshall was considering Australia because it's cheaper to film there.

Ray Delark

Epic said:
So where are they going to film Indy 4? I read that Frank Marshall was considering Australia because it's cheaper to film there.

Good question, but I think the answer to that and everything else is still secret. Our quest for illumination continues...

Welcome to the Raven:whip:

San Holo

Alright, the most recent news came out today over at Empire. The big 3 will begin filming in mid '07,and they're sticking to the 2008 release date. In the interveiw, Lucas talks about going back to the original "controversial" plot device, and says that it will be the best one yet:confused: I'm just wondering what the hell this guy's up to, and what this McGuffin is gonna be?

IndyBuff

San Holo said:
Alright, the most recent news came out today over at Empire. The big 3 will begin filming in mid '07,and they're sticking to the 2008 release date. In the interveiw, Lucas talks about going back to the original "controversial" plot device, and says that it will be the best one yet:confused: I'm just wondering what the hell this guy's up to, and what this McGuffin is gonna be?

I'm glad that they're still talking about the film. Let's just hope that this news is true and that they will FINALLY begin filming.

Joe Brody

San Holo said:

I'm scratching my head by what Lucas means by 'connected'.

“I discovered a McGuffin,” continues Lucas, still reluctant to name said McGuffin. “I told the guys about it and they were a little dubious about it, but it’s the best one we’ve ever found… Unfortunately, it was a little too ‘connected’ for the others. They were afraid of what the critics would think. They said, “Can’t we do it with a different McGuffin? Can’t we do this?” and I said “No”.

Does Lucas mean 'connected' to the other prior films (i.e., the Ark of the Covenant & Grail?) or does he mean the current events and geo-political mess in the Middle-East (which easily qualifies as 'incendiary' --the word used in the article)? If the later, my guess is that he's going to do something connected to the Dome of the Rock or something nearby. Lucas repeatedly used the word 'McGuffin' so its an object -- research the three impacted faiths and take a pick.

I don't know, maybe he's been listening to a lot of classic rock and he's been getting the 'led' out -- so maybe the McGuffin is the 'stairway to heaven'. I'm baffled at this point. . . .

Or maybe we'll find that Indy's become a bahai and the film is going to be a nice little lecture in the real meaning/purpose behind organized religion.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lucas: 'a little too ?connected? for the others.'
'Others' could mean the other movies, or it means Ford and Spielberg.
'Connected' probably means Judeo-Christian.
Lucas: 'plot that was originally deemed too incendiary'
...a daughter? The Church hiding something? Offensive to some Muslim groups? (What isn't?)

Suzerain

Joe Brody said:
I'm scratching my head by what Lucas means by 'connected'.

I noted that, too. It's what prompted me to come on board.

Does Lucas mean 'connected' to the other prior films (i.e., the Ark of the Covenant & Grail?) or does he mean the current events and geo-political mess in the Middle-East (which easily qualifies as 'incendiary' --the word used in the article)? If the later, my guess is that he's going to do something connected to the Dome of the Rock or something nearby. Lucas repeatedly used the word 'McGuffin' so its an object -- research the three impacted faiths and take a pick.

I automatically assumed it meant connected to contemporary events. See the other thread on the 4th artifact. I hypothesize that perhaps the artifact is in actuality the 12th Imam.

If it means connected to the prior films, then I like the idea that somebody came up with for the return of the Ark of the Covenant. That could be very well done, in my opinion.

James

I assumed Lucas was referring to it being too "connected" to the previous installments. When people start talking about finding a "clever" way to make a sequel, they've usually tied it into a previous film somehow.

The problem is, we don't know who the idea would be "incendiary" to. I find it hard to believe that they would set out to make a controversial Indy film that would **** a lot of people off. I mean, they have repeatedly said they don't want it to "leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth".

No, my first impression was that they were talking about die-hard fans. After all, Lucas knows firsthand how the smallest changes can create an uproar in the fanbase.

To this end, I think this may give some credence to the old "Indy's daughter" rumour. It was an idea that popped up several years ago, and recently surfaced again after Indy 4 began moving forward. It's also an idea that would definitely be "connected" to the previous films, especially if it turned out to be Willie's (as in "Law of One") or Marion's.

"they have repeatedly said they don't want it to "leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth"

When you endeavour to try to please everyone you most often end up pleasing no one.

shenshaw

If Indy 4 involves in any way an offspring of Indy, I hope we see something new. What I mean is that when we were introduced to Indy Sr., we saw the traditional father/son conflicts. Which was great. But rather than these same motifs being played out with the son/daugter, it would be neat to see a different approach.

I would not prefer the following:
"You were never there for me; you left mom and I stranded while you were out on one of your escapades."

I don't know what the answer is, but with all this time and thought going into this project hopefully it'll be fresh. I would rather the movie be a fresh story rather than staying completely within the lines that have already been drawn in the Indy universe.

IndyBuff

I'm still uneasy about the thought of Indy having offspring. Granted, it could work but I guess I'm worried about the story being too cliche and predictable, as well as making Indy a weaker character and letting his son/daughter handle most of the action.

I loved the way Indy's father was handled in Last Crusade. The story was touching and fun without being sappy and predictable. I only hope that, if this same idea is used again, that they find a new way to do it without ruining the concept.

James

shenshaw said:
I would rather the movie be a fresh story rather than staying completely within the lines that have already been drawn in the Indy universe.

I don't mind if they stay within the universe, but I would also rather see an original story as opposed to a spinoff of the previous three. I love little in-jokes like the ones in Temple and Crusade (ie. Ark painting in catacombs), but I don't want Indy 4 to feel like fan fiction.

IndyBuff

temple of john said:
I have said a million times that I would love a return to Raiders. Where Indy really stood on his own for the most part. Why do we need a daughter or son???

I've always seen Indy as a very independent character and I guess that's why the idea of a family or child just doesn't seem to work for me. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it just doesn't seem to fit, at least right now.

I'm open to the idea and I think that, if done properly, it could be very good but I would rather see Indy embark with a sidekick or alone rather than with a son or daughter.

The Superman As Dad thing has been done in the comics once or twice, as alternate-reality explorations, but in my book they've never been done very well.... None however was as bad as the handling of the subject in Superman Returns (A movie that otherwise, I quite enjoyed)

Indy As Dad is very unappealing.... In the same way that Han Solo as Dad would be a yawn fest.... A scoundrel.... a rogue... a gad-about is only very interesting when he isn't tied down to mundane life. Not much is more mundane than family life....

Indy 4.... Raiders of Getting The Brats To School On Time.....

"DAaaaad... I need lunch money!"
"Daaaaad.... Billy's pulling my hair!"
"Daaaaad.... Mary's pinching me!"
"Daaaaad.... The dog is throwing up on my science project!"

Indy: "Kids..... why did it have to be kids....."