Indy Reading

Joe Brody

What non-IJ related authors/novels offer quality writing coupled with Indy style adventure?

I'm looking for novels that fall within the following range of authors/stories: Hemingway (of course), James Dickey ('Deliverance' & 'To the White Sea'), Bryce Courtenay ('Power of One'), and Bartle Bull ('White Rhino Hotel', 'Cafe on the Nile', and 'Devil's Oasis'). Does anyone have any suggestions?

My searches for prior threads didn't turn up anything. If I missed a relevent thread, I'd appreciate the link.

Thanks,

Joe

Ska

I had mentioned one in a previous thread called "Temple" by Matthew Reilly. It's an excellent book and could easily star Dr. Jones, although it's set in the present time.

Ska

Pilot

Clive Cussler, James Rollins, F. Paul Wilson for a start. You might be able to find the following books by Talbot Mundy written from 1923-1930: The Nine Unknown, The Devil's Guard, and Jimgrim.

[Edited by Pilot on 11-05-2003 at 11:45 am]

HovitosKing

Non-fiction

This is not a work of fiction, but it's one of the best adventure books of all-time. It's called "Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone" by Martin Dugard.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...60374/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-1899296-6596948

Dugard chronicles the adventures of both men, Dr. David Livingstone and the journalist sent to find him--Henry Morton Stanley, as they make their way through the dark continent. Absolutely brilliant book that I couldn't put down. These explorers encounter many forms of death and destruction ranging from disease to wild animals to cannibals, yet both stay true to the course and bravely struggle to complete their missions. Excellent read that I recommend without reservation.

Ska

Another author that I've picked up some books from is Elizabeth Peters. She has a collection of Egyptian based fiction books that mix just the right amount of adventure with mystery. Some of the titles that I have picked up are:
Lion in the Valley
The Jackal's Head
He Shall Thunder in the Sky

Ska

Joe Brody

Thanks for the above excellent suggestions. I'm definitely putting some of these titles on my holiday wish list.

By the way, with the movie release hard upon us, are there any fans of Patrick O?Brian's "Master and Commander? series out there? For years I've seen these books and I've thought they were like 'The Hardy Boys' for the old folks home, but I'm hearing good things about the books. Are O'Brian's books quality adventure reading?