Indy script completed any second....now

fedoraboy

Indy 4 script expected in a few months
23/06/06, 8:43am EST

Today's Hollywood Reporter has an article on all the projects that CEO Stacey Snider is working on at DreamWorks Pictures.
The article provides tidbit of an update on what's happening with the Indian Jones 4 script. Hollywood Reporter reports that 'Snider's current task will be finding the next picture Spielberg directs. There are several projects on the drawing board, including an Abraham Lincoln biopic, an untitled space travel project at Paramount and a script by Rod Lurie set in the glitzy New York media world as well as Indiana Jones 4, which Paramount would co-finance with George Lucas' Lucasfilm. David Koepp's script is expected in two to three months.
[/I]

Well its been over 2 to 3 months, 5 to be exact, so why the delay? Surely we can expect an offical announcement any day now...or am I being blindly optimistic???

Teke

I was very optimistic with Indy4 until this summer. There are no more news, and the few that are on the net are always the same ****. By the end of the year or in 2007, Ford or Spielberg or Lucas will say that they are working in the script again... And in the next summer they will say that they are expecting to shoot the movie in 2008, for a 2009 release. Then, in 2008 they will say the same and the same.

And after reading the recent interview with Frank Darabont, I lost the last hoppe on getting this film made. I really can´t understand... There were a great writter, a "great script" (according to the Spilberg words himself), etc, etc... And George Lucas didn´t like it. Come on! If Spielberg and Ford liked it, is sufficient to make the movie. Lucas isn´t the director, Spielberg is, and I think he knowns a lot of the character to make a good movie. I don´t think the script was bad.

Last edited:

shenshaw

Spielberg's year-off is almost up per his statement 11 months ago. UNTIL he's ready to move on this project, I don't see any real reason why we would hear notification of the progress. I think that the last thing these guys want to do at this point is to give us a status check by their own initiative, only to have any other hiccoughs be interpreted by us as "Oh no... it's never gonna happen... I need someone's head... George Lucas... that's a good one... Ford's too old... blah... blah... blah". In other words, the status will not be volunteered prematurely. You never know though, a clever media rep might be able to grab something sooner.

And we all know that once (and I still say that quite confidently) production has begun, we will all be back to debating Indy mcguffins, baddies, and destinations. All of this script stuff will be behind us (ok, ok... I'm not belitting the "anguish" that some have endured).

Also, I REALLY, REALLY hope that some of these script development woes make it onto the bonus Indy 4 DVD or BluRay (do you hear me Lucasfilm?). I mean, not holding back any gritty details (of course it would all end on a happy note, with the script coming out great and George/Steven are still friends, etc...). From disappointed Darabont to Spielberg/Lucas debates, I would sure love to see the "Memoirs of the Indy 4 script" bonus segment. I think we've all earned that! :)

Thanks George and Steven. We can't wait!

torao

Moderator Emeritus
replican't? Just left aside the fact that I disagree with you ;) ...do you want to urgently double up your post count?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
shenshaw said:
"Memoirs of the Indy 4 script" bonus segment.
I'd love to see this too. Most commentaries and featurettes are total love fests: found the perfect actress, setbacks became opportunities, improvisations were brilliant, etc. When Lucas linked the darkness in ToD to his divorce, that was uncommonly blunt. I hope they interview the whole parade of Indy 4 writers for the DVD, though I doubt they will.

It will be left to independent journalists to piece together this story. Like the long strange road to "Superman Returns." Right now, I think the 3 would be wise enough to pass around Koepp's script (or portions thereof) quietly. I'm hoping for some kind of word by Christmas.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Moedred said:
I'd love to see this too. Most commentaries and featurettes are total love fests: found the perfect actress, setbacks became opportunities, improvisations were brilliant, etc. When Lucas linked the darkness in ToD to his divorce, that was uncommonly blunt. I hope they interview the whole parade of Indy 4 writers for the DVD, though I doubt they will.

It will be left to independent journalists to piece together this story. Like the long strange road to "Superman Returns." Right now, I think the 3 would be wise enough to pass around Koepp's script (or portions thereof) quietly. I'm hoping for some kind of word by Christmas.

Abso****inglutely. :)

On December 25th (or December 18th) there will be a special video on youtube featuring Spielberg, Lucas and Ford all sitting in Spielberg's living room announcing the f i n i s h e d indyIV script.
Seriously:As said before, December is my personal deadline.

In the end, though, if indyIV is never going to happen, they can even make money out of the attempt to do it.

Steven Spielberg and Laurent Bouzereau present: THE MOVIE THAT NEVER HAPPENED or THE ROAD TO NOWWHERE. It will be a damn tear jerker (for me).
*sigh*

Sorry, but this thread and the St. Martin thing I just visited just seem to work like drugs. ...

Pale Horse

Staff member
already filmed post production including the 3-D version and incorporated interactive contest....still being finalized.

What, I didn't say that.....

quigonkyle

I have been following Indy four for an eternity and I really believed that this movie would go into production with the Nathanson script. But then when spielberg brought in Koepp and moved the release date back to 08 I was still optimistic. But now I find it hard to believe that Ford would except any further set backs and Spielberg would sit on this another year. So what I would like to know is what is the latest we can get in this script to get an summer 08 release.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
quigonkyle said:
what is the latest we can get in this script
I suppose it depends how far they developed the last one, and how much Koepp altered it. Also, if it's slated to open in July instead of May, they can endulge in 2 additional months of procrastination.

James

Moedred said:
Also, if it's slated to open in July instead of May, they can endulge in 2 additional months of procrastination.

As I noted in another thread, according to this story, July 2008 is practically filled already. The best spot remaining is Memorial Day, which is somewhat curious, as it's such a highly coveted release date.

Given that Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg all appeared to clear their schedules earlier this year, I expect to hear some real news by the end of the year. If Spielberg announces he will direct something other than Indy 4, he will probably also reveal that the project is finally dead.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
James said:
The best spot remaining is Memorial Day, which is somewhat curious
I'd like to think other studios think Indy will fill that spot. Anyway, unless you have an 800 pound gorilla like Pirates 3, release dates are subject to change. I don't know enough about the 2008 flicks to spot one that big.

Here's more discussion about The Hwd Reporter article. I sure hope Rod Lurie's script doesn't get in the way. Nowhere else have I read about it. He writes/directs stupid leftist pap like Contender, Last Castle, and Commander in Chief (for tv).

James

Moedred said:
I don't know enough about the 2008 flicks to spot one that big.

Yes, unlike 2007's summer of Big 3's (Spiderman; Shrek; Pirates), 2008 is really lacking a major hitter. Batman won't be flying again until late July, and neither Speed Racer, Iron Man, or Hulk have the built-in anticipation of a Spiderman sequel.

If Indy's going to happen, I think Memorial Day 2008 would be a very prime date to open. Hollywood will be eager to fill the void left by Pirates, and an old favorite may be the perfect remedy for those burnt out on comicbook films. (Even Will Smith will be spoofing the genre on July 4th.)

quigonkyle

It seems peculiar this slot would just be left open. Is the reason because all the major studios know or believe that they would have to go up against an INDY 4

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It might be because Indy IV is being released that day and doesn't want to get the hopes up of fans in case the production fails to happen. Studios probably know this and know that if all the eager Indyfans in the world, no other film released the same day, could compete.

However this is just an optimistic conspiracy

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This site lists Iron Man 5/2, Prince Caspian 5/16, Speed Racer 5/23. Apparently Memorial Day has a place holder, for now. The Wachowski's are no further along than Spielberg/Lucas on a script. Maybe they'll make Speed Racer rated R and limit their audience. Like the suggestive dance mix from the 90's.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Guys, if this does happen, remember to keep your expectations low. Don't set yourself up for disappointment like so many Star Wars fans did with The Phantom Menace. There will naturally be harsh comparisons to the original Indy films, but remember that no matter what, Indy 4 will not take away the magic of the original films. I can't stand it when Star Wars fans act like because they don't like the prequels, their enjoyment of the originals is ruined as well.

shenshaw

I agree with this...
Adamwankenobi said:
I can't stand it when Star Wars fans act like because they don't like the prequels, their enjoyment of the originals is ruined as well.

This I don't...
Adamwankenobi said:
Guys, if this does happen, remember to keep your expectations low.
I think high expectations are okay. I think its good to get your hopes up. Sure it can crash on you if things don't quite meet those expectations. But without high hopes, the whole thing becomes boring. Without the risk of disappointment, the high afterwards won't be all that it could have been.

I happen to be one of those Star Wars fans who had really high hopes for TPM and my expectations were exceeded! By having high hopes I think I enjoyed the outcome that much more.

Peace.

MissDefense

I have no patience at all!(y) I'll be happy only when I see the trailer in tv and movie theathres....but keeping my fingers crossed all the time!

Grizzlor

The Indy image itself is so strong and easily liked by viewers, that even a lackluster script will suffice. As long as the script makes sense and isn't confusing, people will love the film. Again, like with Star Wars, George Lucas has this personal system of wants and thoughts on the films, as he should, he created the characters. However, I think his problem is that after all the years, his own interpretation of the films have changed dramatically, for some reason. As a result, he winds up essentially creating a follow up which doesn't really mesh with the original, and people are upset. Personally, I think the entire notion of a prequel using different actors is a failed concept to start with, it doesn't work unless the character is Batman or something, a character beyond any actor who played him. I think he is doing the same thing in the case of Indiana Jones. I think Steven and Harrison have no problem with the scripts, because they've been close to the trilogy, but Lucas wants to go in some other direction only he is privy to. Well, that makes someone else writing the script kind of a problem. Why isn't he writing the script then?